SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Public transport route FH to Bloomsbury?
BigED

04-01-2018 12:07 PM

Need to go to some meetings in Bloomsbury, between Tottenham Court Road and Goodge St stations. Anyone know a reasonably quick route? I'm guessing it'll be FH to London Bridge then another train to Charing Cross and then up the Northern Line, but I'm open to quicker or simpler routes. TFL came up with going via Catford Bridge to Charing X - given all the aggravation with Southern on the FH-London Bridge route I will certainly try it out.

Grateful for any creative suggestions.

Thanks

BigED

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbmartin

04-01-2018 12:48 PM

You may find it quicker to use the Overground to Canada Water, then use the Jubilee to Waterloo, then the Northern line to TCR as it can take up to 12 mins to get to London Bridge from New Cross Gate.

From December, you'll also have the option of travelling to Whitechapel and changing for Elizabeth line services to TCR.

Sherwood

04-01-2018 03:40 PM

The 171 bus goes to Tottenham Court Road. But it will probably take longer than by train.

Sherwood

04-01-2018 04:46 PM

Sorry. It's the 176 bus that goes to Tottenham Court Road.

rbmartin

04-01-2018 04:49 PM

171 does go pretty close to TCR though, it's around a 10 min walk from Holborn via New Oxford Street.

176 easily takes an hour during the workday from FH, not helped by the 20mph speed limit as far as Waterloo Road.

BigED

04-01-2018 05:23 PM

Thanks Sherwood and rbmartin. The 176 would be fine if it were not for the snail's pace, likewise the 171.

I like the idea of the Elizabeth line interchange but I will probably be finished in Bloomsbury before December.

The route via Canada Water / Waterloo is counterintuitive as you head off east before cutting back to the west, but it's worth a try to see what works. CW is just such a horrendous interchange in the morning.

Thanks again

BigED

rbmartin

04-01-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:
The route via Canada Water / Waterloo is counterintuitive as you head off east before cutting back to the west, but it's worth a try to see what works. CW is just such a horrendous interchange in the morning.

Tip is to use the escalator going up to the ticket office and then use the escalators back down to the Jubilee line. Much more easier than waiting for the single escalator down with 400 other commuters.

BigED

02-03-2018 10:37 AM

If you aren't interested in the route between FH and Bloomsbury, spare yourself from reading any further. It really is a niche interest.

OK, I can now announce the results.

IF everything is running fine, then marginally the quickest route is:
FH to London Bridge, Jubilee Line to Waterloo, Northern Line to Tottenham Court Road.

But almost as quick and with more frequent and reliable trains is the route via London Overground from FH to Canada Water, then Jubilee Line to Waterloo for the Northern Line. And as a previous poster suggested, unless you are in a perfect spot to sprint for the escalator down to the Jubilee Line at Canada Water, you may as well get on the front of the Overground train, go up to the main concourse at Canada Water and go down two escalators to the Jubilee platform. It's counterintuitive and may not actually save you any time but at least you feel like you are moving and you're not being funnelled into an unsafe space.

Coming back to FH, Southern Rail are so appallingly unreliable (except, bizarrely, on strike days) that it is far more reliable to come back via Canada Water to pick up the Overground train from there to FH. Even if you are in perfect time to pick up a connection at London Bridge, Southern have so many delays and cancellations that you will probably find you are standing around in the cold for 20 minutes or more wishing you had stayed on the Jubilee line to Canada Water.

JRW

04-03-2018 10:32 AM

You could take the Overground at Whitechapel and change for Euston Square.

Poppy9560

04-03-2018 07:09 PM

I go to Warren Street quite often and get the Jubilee from Canada Water, then Victoria Line from Green Park so if you are that end of Bloomsbury that may be worth trying. otherwise I get the train from Catford to Farringdon then the tube to Euston Square

BigED

06-03-2018 02:54 PM

Thanks JRW and Poppy9560 - I'm between TCR and Goodge Street stations so the Warren Street and Euston Square options don't really work for me, though they may do for others - and they do at least give me more options when one or other options go down.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Public transport this Friday nottinghillbilly 5 3,231 17-08-2022 08:59 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  Forest Hill to Greenwich on Public Transport daveyyates 19 24,176 20-08-2009 09:21 AM
Last Post: ontheedge