SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Santander to close in Forest Hill
rbmartin

04-12-2017 05:51 PM

Santander have announced that the Forest Hill branch will close on the 28th June 2018.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hillview

06-12-2017 01:27 PM

Letter received from Santander:

Quote:
I want to let you know that on 28 June 2018 we’ll be closing our Santander branch at 16 London Road, Forest Hill SE23 3JA.

We constantly review our branch network to take into account changing customer behaviours and the need to operate an efficient and cost effective branch network. Our review has shown that 70% of customers who use our Forest Hill branch, either at the counter or the cash machines, are also using alternative Santander branches. In addition, 54% of customers also manage their money through Online, Mobile or Telephone Banking.

The closest alternative branches to 16 London Road are:
162 Rushey Green, Catford SE6 4JT
212-214 High Street, Beckenham BR3 1EN

As well as using any of our branches, customers can bank with us through Online, Mobile or Telephone Banking. For those customers not currently using these services, we can help set this up for them, giving them flexibility in how and when they manage their money. Customers using Online Banking can also set up free alerts about their account balances, deposits and payments.

In addition, all Santander current account holders can use the Post Office for cash and cheque deposits, withdrawals and to check their account balance.

We understand that this may disappoint and inconvenience some of our customers. So, we would welcome any views you have on how we can help make sure the financial needs of our customers in the community continue to be served when this branch closes.

hillview

06-12-2017 04:18 PM

More details in the attached.

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  santander.pdf (Size: 184.73 KB / Downloads: 679)
BigED

04-01-2018 12:24 PM

Does that leave Barclays as the only bank with a branch left in SE23?

rbmartin

04-01-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:
Does that leave Barclays as the only bank with a branch left in SE23?

Yes, however that branch is closed all day Wednesday.

michael

27-06-2018 11:39 AM

Make sure you complete all your banking transactions today.

Santander closes tomorrow and Barclays on Friday.

Let's hope for some exciting new shops to take these great high street locations.

Snazy

27-06-2018 12:54 PM

Wow, that came around quickly!!

Sad to see them go, and am interested to see what takes their place, although I fear they may sit empty for some time. That said, with Costa on the way, maybe this is the beginning of a new lease of life for the lower part of London Road.

BigED

27-06-2018 12:58 PM

It did come around quickly. It's a shame they are both going at the same time - it would be good if there were at least one of the main banks with a physical presence in SE23. (I know there is the post office above WHS where you can do some banking business, but it isn't the same).

Snazy

27-06-2018 01:11 PM

I am only grateful that I bank with NatWest and have grown used to travelling to Sydenham for banking. Genuinely feel for those left with no option but the pokey little post office counter.

This is apparently the future.... Although the European outage of VISA the other day kinda cast a shadow of doubt over how ready we are for a cashless society.

Sherwood

03-07-2018 07:40 PM

Strange for a town centre to be without one bank. Especially when Sydenham has at least three banks.

I will have to go to Catford instead of Forest Hill.

Presumably this will affect the shopping centre trade.

Snazy

04-07-2018 12:42 PM

I would assume it would affect the small businesses too, who no longer have a bank to bank their taking at, diminishing as cash is, there is still some floating around.

Sad for the area, really is, not sure we are at that cashless stage just yet, I know I still use a bank.

BigED

05-07-2018 01:09 PM

Annoying that FH has lost its "cluster" of two banks at pretty much the same time. The clusters of banks in Catford and Sydenham seem pretty much unaffected for now, but that is not much help if your work or health keeps you in FH. East Dulwich and Peckham have also been losing banks over the last three or four years.

Snazy

05-07-2018 01:58 PM

I noticed that with Dulwich, passed through there yesterday and saw NatWest has gone. Actually quite surprised at the number of empty shops there now.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  St. Francesca Cabrini primary school may close permanently (Forest Hill Road) samuelsen 0 2,899 21-05-2022 07:12 PM
Last Post: samuelsen