SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
JaneD

13-06-2008 10:45 PM

It is interesting that feeling runs so high about those particular BI sellers.

I've never had negative feelings about the BI before. I was quite pleased when the scheme started because it would help homeless people to get a bit of income in a more self-respectful way than begging, to tide them over for a short time until their circumstances improved.

But those particular women at Sainsburies really annoy me! When they first arrived I used to buy from them once a week, but it was uncomfortable because I felt I was being forced to. Once I gave one of them some extra money and after that the woman would literally follow me down the street shouting 'Please Madame', each time I walked past. I stopped buying after that, but I hate walking past and ignoring her now.

I think that there is something insistent about this particular group that does wind people up. I felt even more indigant after my partner saw one of the women encouraging a young man to beg on a train, which made me think they may be part of a big gang involved in many kinds of begging, which is against the spirit of BI.

My first post on this subject, but I want to say that I share the strong feelings and I'm interested in other peoples' views. Nothing at all against the BI in general.

Jane

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's - JaneD - 13-06-2008 10:45 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 84,998 27-01-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs