SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
PaulJ

13-06-2008 01:16 PM

A member of the forum has alerted me to this thread so I?m taking the opportunity to respond to some of the concerns posted, and clarify a few factual details about how The Big Issue operates.

In order to sell The Big Issue an individual has to provide written proof that they are homeless of vulnerably housed ? this could include people sleeping rough or in hostels, temporary/overcrowded accommodation or anybody at risk of being homeless, eg. somebody who has been served a Notice to Quit on their property. Big Issue vendors buy The Big Issue Magazine at 70p and sell it onto the public for ?1.50.

All Big Issue vendors sign a Code of Conduct which outlines what they can and can?t do whilst selling. This can be viewed at our website http://www.bigissue.com - i have also attached it here.
Vendors are not allowed to beg, obstruct the public highway or sell on private property (including trains.)

All Big Issue vendors should wear a valid badge whilst they are selling. If anyone has a complaint about a specific vendor please note their unique badge number and email me at paul.joseph@bigissue.com or vendor.comments@bigissue.com or call me on 020 7526 3487.

While a vendor has the right to sell on the pavement outside Sainsbury?s, they should not block the entrance or harass customers. If a vendor is doing this, or is not wearing a valid badge, please do not buy from them and report them to me or one of my colleagues.

I would appreciate any information about people who are abusing the name of The Big Issue to beg or commit any illegal activity. I would also hope that a genuine vendor who is working within the Code of Conduct be supported in doing so by the local community.

It appears that several complaints have been made previously, and apologise that these have not been resolved satisfactorily.

The complaint I received today was regarding vendors selling with children. My colleagues are investigating this matter, please be patient while we try to resolve it, and please feel free to contact me if you have any further concerns or queries.

Paul Joseph
Outreach & Distribution Manager (London)
The Big Issue

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's - PaulJ - 13-06-2008 01:16 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 85,006 27-01-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs