SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (11): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
Ian

13-11-2007 02:58 PM

Put me on the nasty list, because I do tell the BI seller's (both of them) where to go.

Frosy: Forest Hill isn't as affluent as people would like to think. Like the rest of London and the country as a whole, it's all built on credit and a crash is coming. Empty shops are the first sign, just take a walk down Dartmouth Rd !

One loud voice can make a difference !
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nevermodern

13-11-2007 03:07 PM

I see good businesses opening up and surviving (Dartmouth Arms, the Hob, Honor Hoak, Lemon Grove, Bunka, Mayo Maker, Provender, Laurel's Florist, Cafe La, Yune to name a few). I see shops closing down who didn't look at the market they were in and alter the way they did business, ie utilise the internet to sell speciality goods (Silk Route) or change opening hours or change the product they sold in order to cater for a changing market (the grocery/newsagent opposite the station). I see scaffolding and renovations (certainly on the sainsbury's side of FH) and major new residential developments. I see a major superstore on a high street which many communities would kill for. I see major investment in transport infrastructure meaning that FH will benefit from those wishing to work in Canary Wharf but live in a greener space and bring money to the area. I see a fantastic renovated museum, gardens, and soon-to-be reopened grade II listed library with film club, and period victorian pools. I'm not sure which part of FH you live, and your experiences sound horrible, but that's not my experience. Far from it. There's no way I can provide you with crime figures that you'll believe so I won't try. As for the Big Issue seller, clearly enough people give enough money to make her pitch there worthwhile, otherwise she wouldn't be there, so clearly enough people aren't worried about the way she acts. There are good and bad sellers, just as there are good and bad in all walks off life. Personally, aggressive chuggers on Oxford Street annoy me *much* more. As for the homeless person who's appeared on the doosteps of forest hill, maybe a quick ring to our neighbourhood policing team might be fruitful so they can find him a bed. I'm not saying FH is affluent. It's just not that poor. And things are improving and, in my opinon, will continue to improve. That's what I think. Apologies, too, frosty, if I went over the top in my previous email.

admin
Administrator

13-11-2007 06:35 PM

Gambling-related posts moved to Beyond SE23.

loca

13-11-2007 06:58 PM

I agree with "nevermodern"
all looks on the up to me. I would however ask everyone to talk or email the neighborhood policing team
020 8721 2723
07768 178308
or email them at ForestHill.snt@met.police.uk
To tell them about any bad behavior from anyone on the streets of FH. The more that complain the more they will do..

bigjulie

13-11-2007 09:32 PM

There are none of those little yellow smiling heads on this thread. I wonder why not?
Other threads are inundated with them.

thenutfield

13-11-2007 11:46 PM

wow, this thread is crazy! Who ever thought li'l old FH would stir such emotion!? Frosty, you need a day off!! take a stroll round Horniman Gardens, have a coffee in that new place everyone is raving about, and get a loaf of organic bread from Provender.......life is not so bad in SE23, honest!

BI sellers can be annoying, but in the great scheme of things, I am sure there are better things to get annoyed about!

Love and peace to all in SE23

dita-on-tees

13-11-2007 11:57 PM

how funny that this conversation has turn to us our riches and our area which is not quite where it began. I have seen some bloke taking money off both the young woman and the older woman who sell the big issue outside of sainsburys. I feel uncomfortable by this because i dont like the idea of the exploitation of any person and particularly women in a situation of vulnerability. However, their selling does not bother me (certainly not as much as the JW who ring my bell at 9 30am on a saturday see another thread...). A polite no thank you does the trick if you dont want to buy the mag, and if the you are really concerned then there is a whole management team who run the big issue,,,,,

Mrjamon

14-11-2007 11:57 AM

Goodgrief Frosty, I must of touched a nerve, didn't know you would get so personal! "my chav scum children"! Please let us all know where you've been educated as you seem to be the perfect aspirational goal for all the kiddywinks in the land.
Now please excuse me as I'm having a nightmare removing this HP sauce of our Chantelle's Reebok top, silly girl got all excited whilst watching her pregnant sister on Jeremy Kyle.

Cheerio.

frosty

14-11-2007 12:07 PM

Mrjamon wrote:
Goodgrief Frosty, I must of touched a nerve, didn't know you would get so personal! "my chav scum children"! Please let us all know where you've been educated as you seem to be the perfect aspirational goal for all the kiddywinks in the land.
Now please excuse me as I'm having a nightmare removing this HP sauce of our Chantelle's Reebok top, silly girl got all excited whilst watching her pregnant sister on Jeremy Kyle.

Cheerio.

Apologies Mrjamon, perhaps I get a little cranky when being told I am a racist bigot for wanting the big issue lady to stand out of the way of pedestrians and not hassle me at the cashpoint.

I've got a stack of Daily Mail's here that might help you clean up the HP sauce disaster if you want them. I only look at the pictures anyway.
Wink

Mrjamon

14-11-2007 12:59 PM

Apology accepted Frosty. Good to have a lively character on the forum!

nevermodern

14-11-2007 01:22 PM

I don't think anyone called you a racist bigot, frosty. The Daily Mail references were made in relation to your hyperbole and general views of a society gone rotten.

frosty

14-11-2007 04:05 PM

nevermodern wrote:
I don't think anyone called you a racist bigot, frosty. The Daily Mail references were made in relation to your hyperbole and general views of a society gone rotten.

I took umbrage at the assertion that I'd like to burn the 'migrant witch' and 'ethnics' - I think that's pretty close to 'racist' isn't it? I think the bigot part could be attributed solely to the Daily Mail slur as well - either way, it's all cool now.

Happy to shake things up a bit anyway! How much progress is made when everyone says 'oh, it's all lovely, isn't it?!' as they watch prostrate as the things they care about deteriorate?

Smile

Spearmint

14-11-2007 05:17 PM

Scrolling quickly back up to Dita-on-tees, I too am concerned that we've strayed off the original (big) issue (even though I also got caught up in the very lively and wittily resolved banter). What is really going on outside Sainsbury's? I pass twice everyday on my way to the station and there are definitely two woman sharing the pitch with a man who seems to be supervising, almost intimidating them into selling as many mags as they can. I'm all for supporting those in need of support but they leave me feeling very unsure of their true motives. Unsure

So, being one for action, I've emailed vendor.comments@bigissue.com to ask if they can assure me that they're there legitimately and not selling the Big Issue under false pretences. I will report back if I hear anything but please email the Big Issue if you are similarly concerned. Smile

thenutfield

14-11-2007 06:50 PM

thanks Spearmint, for actually doing something other than vain posturing. Take note everyone else!

bigjulie

14-11-2007 09:24 PM

the little yellow smiling heads have turned up at last....

nevermodern

14-11-2007 11:12 PM

if only there were a 'vain posturing' smiley..

Closedeyes

this'll have to do Smile

Ananas

15-11-2007 10:52 AM

I have to admit, I don't like the big issue seller myself - she does block the path and pleads with you to buy a copy when you're at the cash machine...it happens every time I go. Unfortunately what's put me off even more though is that I've seen her and her friend steel the bags of donated books/clothes that have been left outside the charity shop. That certainly doesn't encourage me to buy from her. Quite the opposite...

Nats0

28-11-2007 12:48 PM

I have seen this happen as well. I also saw this man shouting at her for going into Sainsbury's for a drink of water, I was een more shocked to see that she had to caress him to calm him down, there is more to this picture!!

Nats0

28-11-2007 12:49 PM

livingtree3@aol.com wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else think there is something untoward about the current Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's? On a couple of occasions I have seen her handing over all her cash to a man, who then gives her ?5.00 back - it just doesn't seem right.

brian

28-11-2007 03:26 PM

I do not like to appear too hard but do not know why Sainsbury do not move her on. I still believe it is begging and believe there probably is a Mr Big controlling her.
I expect to get an outburst of messages objecting to my comments

Pages (11): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 82,952 27-01-2011 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs