SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
Taffhamster

09-03-2008 08:59 PM

Aggressive in the sense of full-on "aggressive" begging, definitely. I will be fair and say I've never felt intimidated (in terms of feeling threatened) by any of them, not even the man, it's more the relentlessness of the approach, really.

Yesterday, as I was going into the shop, she just looked at me and said, "Money?" I stopped and explained calmly and firmly (yet again) that I didn't mind buying the mag, but that I didn't like being asked for handouts every time she saw me and that I couldn't ? and wouldn't ? give her cash whenever I passed by. She obviously didn't like this, and said sulkily that she'd see me on Monday (new mag day). In an effort to be nice, I promised I'd buy a mag, and she interrupted me, sighing and then snapping, "OK, Monday", the message clearly being that if I wasn't giving her any cash, the conversation was over.

As you say, she was there again this afternoon, right at the entrance and (again to be fair) didn't push her luck by asking me. (I said a quick hello on the way in and on the way out because I really don't like blanking people.) I just hope this means she has got the message now.

I appreciate that I'm more fortunate than these people, and I'm not expecting eternal gratitude for chucking them a few quid now and again. But when I'm treated rudely or have my efforts to do the right thing thrown back in my face, it puts me off wanting to help.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's - Taffhamster - 09-03-2008 08:59 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 84,995 27-01-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs