SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
Taffhamster

08-03-2008 02:11 PM

Just to clarify, Brian, my post about "hurling abuse" wasn't directed at yourself or at anyone in particular ? it was merely an observation that hostility from members of the public is one of the factors (along with the elements, etc) that vendors have to deal with. (ie, selling the Issue isn't a soft or lazy option, it is hard and often unforgiving work.)

I don't know enough about immigration / working laws to be able to comment on whether or not these people are permitted by law to sell the mag ? I assume (perhaps wrongly) that the Big Issue has a policy on this, based on legal advice and that, if vendors are provided with magazines, it's because they're legally allowed to sell them. If I see a badged vendor, I just assume (again, perhaps wrongly) that they're in need and a legitimate seller, so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I guess the council would be your best bet for lodging a complaint. Sainsbury's must be well aware of them hassling customers and, presumably, would have taken action before now were they able to. (I doubt beggars would put people off doing a big shop there, but they may well have an effect on 'passing trade' ? people who might have dropped in on a whim if they hadn't crossed the road or strode on, heads down, to avoid being hassled!) However, I doubt Sainsbury's would move them along purely on the grounds of "competition" ? I can't imagine anyone foregoing their copy of Maxim or Grazia (or whatever) because they bought a Big Issue instead. It does carry a lot of good features, but I doubt the content is most people's primary motivation for buying it. Plus, it might be bad PR for the supermarket if they forbade ALL vendors to work pitches outside their stores.

Otherwise, call neighbourhood policing. (Sorry, don't have the number).

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's - Taffhamster - 08-03-2008 02:11 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 84,992 27-01-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs