SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
Taffhamster

07-03-2008 09:56 PM

This is my experience of the situation. I?ve always bought the Big Issue when I can, so I started getting it from these people when they moved on to the Sainsbury?s ?pitch?. Which of them I buy it from (the older or younger woman) depends on who I see first, but I've often given the other one a quid or so if I've seen her later in the week.

Hardly saintly levels of generosity, but I can't help feeling it's got me labelled as a soft touch. Every time I walk past, I get hassled for money, even when I?ve already bought a mag. And if I?m walking on the opposite side of the road, they?ll yell and wave the mags to beckon me over. As I understand it, the Big Issue is about ?working not begging?, but I feel the begging has just got progressively more blatant.

Recently, I bought a mag from the younger one on my way into the supermarket and, when I came out, she asked would I go back in and get some shopping for her (using my money). I did so (she'd only asked for something cheap) but now they just ask me straight out for money. The man was there once and, when he saw me say hello to the women, he started hassling me (not threateningly, but it was full-on). The other night, it came to a bit of a head ? I came out of Sainsbury?s carrying a mag I?d bought from the older woman just before going in, only to have the younger one walk up to me and start asking for cash.

No ?Hello?, just ?Give me money?? I decided enough was enough and said no, not being nasty but explaining I?d only just bought a mag. She kept saying, ?Just a pound?? I think what riled me was the seeming cynicism. A token effort at looking tragic, then a big, knowing grin because she took it for granted that I would put hand in my pocket. Again, I said that I didn't mind buying the mag but that I couldn't ? and wouldn't ? give them money every time I walked past them. She kept on at me, then the older woman started kicking off, screaming and shouting (at her, I think, not me), so I just walked off.

Regular vendors I?ve known in the past (like David, the guy on the trains with his dog mentioned elsewhere) have been utterly charming, regardless of whether or not you even buy a mag.

I try my best to give people the benefit of the doubt, and to give them the money if they need it, even if the way they ask for it rubs me up the wrong way. But I honestly feel the more money I give to these people in Forest Hill, the more hassle I?ll get, so I?m nipping it in the bud now. I?ll probably keep buying the mag from whoever approaches me first, but only for the cover price and with no handouts besides.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's - Taffhamster - 07-03-2008 09:56 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 84,998 27-01-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs