SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (11): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
SSR

10-03-2008 05:42 PM

I think these people are a real irritant, but why don't people just completely blank her? Do not be apologetic, do not be rude - just walk past. If everyone did that she (they) would go away. If Sainsbury's could they would have moved her by now, and if the BI are investigating they will take the appropriate action - I have said before that surely homelessness is a pre-requisite? If they tick the boxes and do not restrict Sainsbury's trade they are entitled to pitch there. My only beef is that she may detract from the charities that more legitimately set up on Saturdays. Otherwise sorry to repeat this accusation but I think people need to be honest with themselves - there would be far less outcry about this if the vendor were a loveable British whino with a dog on a string rather than a person of Estern/Central European ethnicity.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nevermodern

10-03-2008 06:51 PM

I agree, SSR. And I also think people need to understand the difference between harrassment and irritation. The former should be tackled, the latter is something you should just put up with. You should put up with it because it's a public space not your front room. And it's London, not Singapore, thank goodness.

thenutfield

10-03-2008 08:25 PM

do you shopping on line and get it delivered. that way you never have to see anyone you dont approve of.

Taffhamster

10-03-2008 08:29 PM

SSR ? OK, it's probably fair to say that some ? though not all ? people may be prejudiced on ethnic grounds. But how many others, who find the situation irritating purely due to the vendors' behaviour, will have been put off posting freely about it because they're afraid they'll be branded bigots?

As far as I'm concerned, this is strictly about behaviour and not the people per se. I've been in a similar situation before (overbearing vendor/beggar on a route I couldn't avoid) and the person happened to be a white British man.

(And yes, on one level, more fool me for not learning my lesson that time. But I wasn't going to hold the behaviour of one vendor against others. Treat each case on its own merit. That's why, when these people began to sell the magazine outside Sainsbury's I was happy to buy it from them. It's only their subsequent actions that I've had a problem with.)

dovetail

10-03-2008 11:52 PM

Nevermodern,

Bit puzzled by your reference to Singapore...which doesn't have homeless problem therefore no aggressive Big Issue sellers or beggars to worry about.

Would you care to elaborate on your relief that London is not Singapore?

nevermodern

11-03-2008 11:21 AM

Tightly controlled public spaces, jail for chewing gum on the floor... Just making the point that I quite like the freedom that brings annoyance! I'm sure Singapore is lovely, I was just making a broad, sweeping point Smile

brian

11-03-2008 12:53 PM

I accept that there is nothing we can do to rid FH of these beggars. I shall just enter and leave by rear entrance to avoid agravation.
I still would be interested who gives a license for this activity. Surely Sainsbury must have been consulted.

Londondrz

18-03-2008 09:38 AM

Popped into Sainsburys last night at seven and there is a new BI seller. Hurrah!!

Taffhamster

18-03-2008 11:40 AM

Hi Londondrz, can you elaborate? Do you mean a replacement vendor, or yet another one in addition to the usual two? I noticed a new vendor there on Sunday, but she persisted in nagging me to buy when I explained that I'd already bought two mags during the week*, one from each of the two women who usually sell on that pitch. Cue "Yes, but you haven't bought from me." I said I'd buy when the new mag came out if she's the first vendor I see, but she seemed surprised not to have many customers on a Sunday. And that three vendors sharing a pitch doesn't necessarily equate to three lots of income. (For the record, if she's the sole new vendor, I'll happily buy a mag from her each week.)

*A misfired attempt to negotiate with the other two. I'd promised the younger one that I'd buy a mag from her every week provided she didn't beg me for extra handouts ? a promise I kept, despite buying from the older woman (on the same proviso) because I saw her first. This didn't make the slightest bit of difference, and I finally lost patience with them both on Saturday night when they started nagging me to buy them goods from the store (non-essential items). No confrontation, I just walked off.

Londondrz

18-03-2008 11:44 AM

Sorry but my comment had a slightly sarcastic tone as my understanding is that their is only supposed to be one person on that pitch.

No the lady last night was new to me, recognisable for her two normal front teeth and the rest were gold. An unusual look to say the least.

brian

18-03-2008 01:30 PM

So now we have 3. I don't believe it.
I seem to recall someone posted that they were taking the matter up with a nice lady at The Big Issue. What was the result.
Perhaps we ought to speak to The Manager at Sainsbury's.
I am happy to contribute to charities of my choice but refuse to contribute when the aformentioned tactics are used.

Londondrz

18-03-2008 01:48 PM

I spoke to the BI and they are looking into it. They have called me back once and have promised to come back to me again.

Taffhamster

18-03-2008 02:11 PM

I just want to be sure I've got my facts right, really! After being approached by a third vendor on Sunday, I'd also like to email the Big Issue to ask what's going on, but was wondering if this new woman is independent of the others, or part of their group. (My comment re. "three lots of income" is based on her persistence in asking me to buy from her when I'd already explained that I'd bought from two other people on that pitch, not an assumption that they're working together, by the way.)

brian

18-03-2008 02:24 PM

Thanks for contacting The Big Issue.
This is giving their publication a very bad name.

bigbadwolf

18-03-2008 02:25 PM

It's been 4 months since this thread has started. If the people at the big issue were bothered about what goes on outside fh Sainsbury's they would have acted by now. All these vendors have what appear to be valid I.D relating to their status as big issue vendors so it appears the big issue are behind the increase of vendors and it wouldn't surprise me if a fourth one pops up next week. They aren't stupid, they know that alot of Forest hill is on a comfortable income and can afford to shop at Sainsbury's so they're bound to target those leaving the shop. What would you prefer, the big issue sellers outside Sainsbury's or the addicts that roam around Sydenham high street? It's just one of those things faced by those living in the capital, don't mean to be rude but either get on with life here regarding the pests or move to somewhere quieter. Not a defeatest stance but a realistic reaction.

Londondrz

18-03-2008 03:40 PM

or we give the BI sellers a Sainsbury's application form!!

nevermodern

18-03-2008 04:23 PM

I agree BigBadWolf... this strand is bordering on obsessive. Hasn't the point been made a million times now? If you're not happy, contact the Big Issue.

Taffhamster

18-03-2008 04:47 PM

Three posts from you on this page alone, Nevermodern, plus numerous others throughout the thread. And you're calling others obsessive? Smile

You're more than welcome to your opinions, of course, but if, as it appears, you consider other people's comments to be pointless and petty, why do you still feel the need to dignify them with your two cents' worth?

nevermodern

18-03-2008 05:31 PM

Just like to add a bit of balance to the tirade, Taffham. Although I do have to drag myself to the keyboard to be bothered in a strand like this. That's the last you'll hear from me on the matter. The BI sellers are all yours. Send them to the wolves!! Smile

Londondrz

18-03-2008 05:32 PM

We have wolves in Forest HillOhmy

Pages (11): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 84,632 27-01-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs