SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Moving to Forest Hill
marcin667

17-09-2017 06:39 PM

Hello all

My wife and I are considering moving to the area together with our 8 months old daughter. We have actually already made an offer on a new built property at Canonbie Road.

We have visited the area a few times and we really like it. As we both work in the City, the location is very convenient as you can get there by Overground quite quickly. At the same time, we do not know the area very well, so we would be grateful for any tips, in particular:

- is this area (and, in particular, Canonbie Road) safe and family friendly? (The road is very steep so it is certainly not pushchair friendly, but this this comes with the territory I guess)
- are there many activities for children (such as sensory classes organised by children centres etc) around?
- it seems that there is plenty of good schools around (such as Fairlawn), but is it easy to get a place?
- are there many places to shop or eat around Canonbie Road? (Lordship Lane is great, but a bit far to walk).
- Is there anything else we should be aware of when buying a property in the area?

We would be most grateful for any tips! Thank you very much in advance.

Many thanks
Marcin

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
samuelsen

18-09-2017 11:30 AM

Welcome, yes, I'd say Canonbie/Forest Hill is family friendly
There is the Turkish supermarket at one end and the Coop at the other end of Forest Hill Road, alternatively there is a Sainsbury's in Forest Hill and a smaller one on Honor Oak Park, close to Honor Oak Park Overground station. In Woodvale is a "small" food shop and a butchers next door to that.

RockingEthel

18-09-2017 06:49 PM

It's very family friendly. We have a 4 year old and have lived here since he was 5months. There are loads of baby groups and se23 mums Facebook page is very active if your want to keep an eye on what's available.
I used a sling rather than a pushchair which worked well.
There are shops and restaurants on Forest Hill and Honor Oak both of which arenables walkable.
Welcome to the area!

OakR

18-09-2017 07:46 PM

Hi Marcin

Primary school catchment areas are quite small for a lot of schools - I live in Honor Oak so don't know Canonbie Road well applications wise.

This link will tell you the distance of the last place allocated last year - though keep in mind this changes each year, dependant on siblings and \ or bulge classes primarily. You can also go onto waiting lists which do appear to have some movement. Most schools bar private and religious offer places based purely on distance as the crow flies, (other some some criteria eg siblings,
children in care etc)LewishamPrimaryDistance

Forest Hill and Honor Oak are both excellent for families. You will have lots of families for company, lots of groups, The Horniman for when your child is a bit older, Forest Hill Pools and lots else. Enjoy and feel free to ask any other questions!

Al

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Advice about moving to Forest Hill LPOak 22 21,302 19-01-2017 05:34 PM
Last Post: Hillman
  Thinking of moving to forest hill Hatstand 6 10,070 14-11-2011 10:38 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  Moving soon to Dartmouth Road area of Forest Hill anne1949 7 10,190 03-11-2011 10:13 AM
Last Post: anne1949
  Thinking of moving to Forest Hill Thump 15 30,607 06-01-2011 10:08 PM
Last Post: Woody
  Ugly Betty moving to Forest Hill? shzl400 3 6,873 04-01-2011 04:48 PM
Last Post: brian
  Moving to Forest Hill/Catford borders cabbageflower 6 10,131 09-05-2010 11:53 AM
Last Post: cabbageflower
  moving to Se23/ Forest Hill Road onthemove 2 5,617 05-03-2008 08:21 PM
Last Post: bigjulie