SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Rising Damp Treatment that Works?
couchtomato

03-09-2017 07:32 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for any advice re suppliers / experience people have had with damp diagnosis / rising damp treatment that ACTUALLY WORKED.

There are a few cowboys out there and this is too experience and inconvenient to do more than once...any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks all

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SEN

28-10-2017 06:46 AM

Not sure this will help, I once had a tip from a very senior guy in charge of building maintenance, he was adamant he had never seen failed damp proof courses and never needed to resort to chemical damp proof etc. His view was there was always another cause eg soil outside allowed to build up over the damp course level or penetration from leaking gutters affecting walls. I can't verify this one way or another but it may be worth checking other causes (which you may have done already I guess) before shelling out.

Hillman

30-10-2017 11:12 PM

I have retired from a lifetime's work in the construction industry, a significant part of which involved repair of houses.

I can only agree that rising damp is a myth.

Take look at this:

https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-and-...-damp.html

PT

14-11-2017 03:20 PM

I had issues with damp and mould in a property I rent out and thought that it could be rising damp. After some research I decided to try and ventilate the property better as was a ground floor flat in an old victorian building that had been updated with double glazing etc. The tenants hardly ever had the windows open and would also hang washing etc inside. This meant that there was too many water molecules and not enough fresh air to dilute it. Meant that the water was gathering on the coldest walls in the house - signs of mould etc. I installed a ventilation system from Envirovent (also Nuaire and few others do same thing) and since then we have not had any further issues. Maybe worth a try as lot less invasive.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields