SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Fortnightly bin collections
samuelsen

31-08-2017 07:44 AM

https://twitter.com/hornimanheights?lang=en

Hope this helps identify when in future your bins will be emptied, plus did you receive your new food waste bin and caddy (inside)??

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/wa...onDays.pdf

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigED

31-08-2017 01:24 PM

Thanks, Samuelsen.

We got one of the lovely (not) caddies. Presumably the food waste bins are for weekly collection, is that right?

And are Lewisham's contractors taking the green recycling bins every week still? (Sorry, I know we probably got something about this a while ago but I suspect it went in the recycling.)

BigED

samuelsen

31-08-2017 01:49 PM

I believe so.

Have so far received one single page communication about this and only cane across the dates of collections for black bins by chance.

What happens if you put out two or more black bins each fortnight? Will they empty them?

Unless they up their communications this will turn into nothing less than a fiasco. Presumably the council expect them to be left on the boundary each week and what happens if they are not??

Will the council be providing bin liners? Or arranging for the waste food bins to be cleaned on a regular basis?

Why would the council introduce such a scheme, unless a contractor is going to be making something out of this and what benefit do the council get??

Sherwood

31-08-2017 06:41 PM

There is a leaflet inside each waste food caddy.

The Council is legally obliged to remove all your household waste. I think houses will just put out twice as many bins fortnightly.

I know this is not supposed to happen. But they are assuming that half of each bin currently holds food waste. are we that extravagant?

samuelsen

31-08-2017 07:51 PM

Clearly they are making an assumption which is well, quite simply WRONG!!

I thought the idea was to reduce the amount of waste that went to landfill, but Lewisham is different from most other local authorities as an extremely high proportion of waste is incinerated at the plant in New Cross.

And what happens to the bin men who will have collected the bins on a weekly basis, will they now only work for two weeks in every four?

So will residents comply and use the food waste bins or continue to lob it all in the black refuse bins??

And how about the additional pollution that will result from having the additional weekly food waste bin collections?

oryx

31-08-2017 08:34 PM

The food waste bin is much larger than I expected and won't fit easily into a space in the kitchen.

I was expecting a small (about 25 x 25 cm?) bin that would sit comfortably on a worktop (a friend in Bristol has one provided by the local authority there).

I am generally very enthusiastic about recycling and have a compost caddy, but am put off using the food waste bin by its size. We have very little food waste.

Might put the odd bit of stale loaf in there but nothing messy as it won't fit in the kitchen.Mad

Theotherbrian

01-09-2017 09:36 AM

The waste bin was delivered and inside was a roll of bags, a smaller kitchen caddy and two pamphlets which I thought laid out the details of the new service clearly enough.

samuelsen

26-09-2017 07:47 PM

This post was last modified: 26-09-2017 07:49 PM by samuelsen.

samuelsen

27-09-2017 01:23 PM

Learnt this morning that the new regime of fortnightly collections has meant the dustmen are all being moved onto different rounds, so not only upheaval for residents but also the dustmen.

Samurai

05-10-2017 02:25 PM

We were expecting our rubbish to be collected on 2nd October but nobody turned up. This means it will be 3 weeks until our next collection. The same happened with our recycling. Very very cheeky of the council.

We also haven't received our food waste bin!

bigmacca1

05-10-2017 07:06 PM

Not a good experience here of the new arrangement ? Wife put the food caddy out with a couple of the little bags of food waste, seems the dustmen instead of taking ours and next door neighbours bin to the truck to empty, he emptied one container into the other only to miss it and proceed to cover the pavement outside our gate with next doors @rap !!! Anyone have a contact number to have a moan to the council , Have not had any joy with the numbers we have ?
Thanks.

samuelsen

05-10-2017 07:16 PM

it seems to be standard practice of the bin men to empty one bin into another and then take that to the lorry, in your case as you said they spread the contents across the pavement, foxes will be loving this.

As I understand it, they do not take phone calls, you have to register on the lewisham,gov.uk site and complete an online form.

The bureaucrats win again!!!!

Rob36

10-10-2017 03:05 PM

With our first fortnightly rubbish collection due tomorrow I’d be interested to know how everyone else is getting on with their waste.

Our recycling bin was generally full or close to full before the change, so we already recycle pretty much everything that we can. The food waste part of our general rubbish can now be put in the small grey bin, but that doesn’t account for much of the black bin’s contents. With a young baby in the house producing maybe 8-10 nappies a day we are certainly struggling to fit everything in the black bin with the fortnightly collections.

Judging by the number of black bags that I saw piled on top of the public litter bins in Manor Mount this morning I suspect that we’re not the only ones having capacity problems!

samuelsen

10-10-2017 07:44 PM

Recycling bin was stuffed to capacity last week with waste paper, really nice and heavy, this week its its near capacity with stuff. Black bin is full with everything else, not separating food waste, got better things to do, will continue to all go into the black bin.

starman

12-10-2017 10:19 AM

We went through this in Southwark and there was a period of adjustment. But after a couple of months everything was working well. The hardest part was to get people to regularly separate food waste. Veolia would visit households to offer help and advice. But what converted many in the end was the first hot days of summer and the outcome of food waste sitting around for two weeks.

annsquire66

14-10-2017 10:53 PM

Think whoever came this week was a little confused. They've emptied the food caddy and the rubbish as per schedule but our recycling bins haven't been touched.Unsure

boxhill

16-10-2017 08:13 AM

i like the idea of separate food waste, however, i followed all the rules and for some reason they took only one of the two green bags of food waste from my bin. So now its sitting there disintegrating into waste soup until wednesday. I had assumed they tip those little food bins, rather than try and pull the bags out which, being biodegradable, may not hold up so well.

annsquire66

16-10-2017 11:05 AM

A tip from a friend whose borough started this long ago. If you're throwing out food scraps that will stink quickly e.g. meat/fish, freeze the bag until the night before the bin collection. Given how warm this weekend has been, I'm glad of the suggestion.

Poppy9560

18-10-2017 10:27 AM

I'm all for getting rid of food waste separately but why on earth can't the binmen put the tops back on the bins? especially when it's raining like today?

samuelsen

31-05-2019 05:01 PM

Any one got any idea what has happened to the twelve month timetable the council issued for black bin collections, which now seem to be happening out of sync with the timetable itself. I know that once early in May they did an additional collection and since then the timetable so to say has gone to pot.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields