SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Forum confusion
Avenzoar

09-05-2017 10:44 AM

I'm new to the area and so far the community seems lovely in real life. But I'm confused as to why there is two online local community forums? I'm also confused as to why the one that isn't this one is used at all since, based on some reading over the past few days, the owner of the forum seems to be openly Islamophobic and seems to use it as a platform for their prejudice. It was pointed out in one thread that recently it was added to a European register of hate speech websites at http://www.nohatespeechmovement.org/hate.../read/1188..

I must say, discovering this forum has been a relief since I was starting to think the SE23 community was as hateful as is represented on the other forum. I'm glad to learn this isn't the case Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Erekose

09-05-2017 12:32 PM

Welcome to the area and thanks for pointing that out I had no idea it was now on a register!

Londondrz

09-05-2017 12:38 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it a register, but I am sure new to the area Avonzoar knows that!

Avenzoar

09-05-2017 02:40 PM

I'm sorry. I thought that was how it was refferred to on the site. I'd edit it to say "repository" but I don't seem to be able to Unsure

Londondrz

09-05-2017 03:52 PM

And it appears your link doesn't work. Pity you cant edit on here. Oh well.

Mr Robin Banks

09-05-2017 05:04 PM

yeah so basically there are two main forums for se23. both have like thousands of members but in reality, only like these 10-15 people in the area use them daily. this little 'elite' group have meetings and all think the same, guess that's why they all get on. It's mainly just local business owners who want to stay in the 20th century with their little sweet shops & fishmongers etc. No matter what forum you go on mate they'll be there waiting for someone with views against their own. Word to the wise, don't engage that much with the forum chat, just sit back and wait until the local supermarkets put them out of business ThumbsupCoolThumbsup

Erekose

09-05-2017 07:47 PM

Odd the link worked lunchtime. It was Pure poetry.

Perryman

09-05-2017 08:50 PM

What is upsetting is this group have control of our library.
We shouldn't want a politically motivated group in charge of 'organizing information and interpreting information needs' any more than we'd want them running a school.
True, the real battle for the integrity of our data is on the internet, but libraries and museums are still important symbols.

OakR

09-05-2017 09:26 PM

There are 2 forums, and other groups in fact in FB etc and the like. Take your pick and use the ones you like when you like. There is useful information on both, and different posters on both. Ultimately most people like me just want places where they can get local information, and as with most things the more potential sources the better.

This is the oldest forum, and the only one that was around (that I know of) when we moved to the area in 2005. I will always have a certain loyalty to this one because of that.

I would agree that most people would prefer recommendations on traders, local places etc to be discussed or seen by others - I feel it would drive more traffic here and in fact benefit both the advertisers and the forum but it's not my forum and there may be other reasons for that - it is a shame though.

The owner of the other forum has 'strong' views which I generally fundamentally disagree with, but I don't generally bother engaging with anyone on global politics if I can help it on a local forum. For clarity I frequent both forums.

The other previous poster alluded to did also not display their best side when on here, which actually is a shame as they appear to have their heart in the right place and have done a lot for se23.

Re the Library, I feel the above comment is harsh - it was going to close, a group of people got together, raised money and now manage it - it would be closed otherwise. They should be thanked for this not criticised.

michael

09-05-2017 09:31 PM

Perryman,
That person is not involved in the library. I am in no way involved in running any forum, nor is Simon or anybody from V22.
The library is not run by anybody for politcal motivation, we just want to ensure the community library is successful.

If you do have any concern about the management of the library i would encourage you to send me a message or to speak to the local councillors, who are probably best place to hold us to account.

You are also most welcome to join around 50 volunteers who help to keep the library open for more than 66 hours per week. Other than the access to books and internet it is in great demand at present by young people just looking for somewhere quiet to study. And we can always benefit from additional volunteers. Just email volunteers@fhlibrary.co.uk

sydders

10-05-2017 08:29 AM

Unsurprising re Crass Belch - he has previous - see the links at https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic....75#p152487

Red67

10-05-2017 10:22 AM

...and from the link above, the part that i think says it all is the comment:

"I'm always ready to be condescended by Guardian readers trying desperately to establish their moral high ground and find a new supposed victim or spurious cause to support. Thumbsup"

Doesn't exactly set the groundwork for 'serious and considered political debate' when you start from this low, IMO.

Good work has certainly been done by people who are quite prominent on both forums but it is a pity that some of the ill informed and often unpalatable views of some of these individuals has found an outlet on forums where it becomes a permanent record and possibly works to undermine, by association, a lot of goodwill towards such things as the library etc.
Having had a rather odd and worryingly hysterical and slightly unhinged (on his part) interchange with the person mentioned above, it has certainly put me off wanting to go near any of the 'local' concerns that he or his close associates have anything to do with.

Avenzoar

10-05-2017 10:59 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Like I say, I was just trying to get the lay of the land. Looks like between both SE23 forums, the East Dulwich Forum and the Sydenham Town Forum, there's plenty of places to get local recommendations and news. Like Starman says, diversity is a good thing Smile

I might steer clear of the political areas though Smile

Red67

10-05-2017 11:21 AM

Not due to any particular preference of platform, but more from some of the ill-informed and occasionally borderline (or over the line) offensive things i have read on both forums by particular people i find i have cause to be concerned as to their true motivations... i think that's a perfectly rational response, even taking into account the fact that people often talk in a more unguarded way online than they would in reality. Personally, it just leaves me feeling uncomfortable and when there are many things to support and give time or donations to, i think it fair to say that often decisions to support or not are swayed by lots of factors...

starman

10-05-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:
I might steer clear of the political areas though Smile

There be dragons.

sydders

10-05-2017 05:00 PM

[Removed hate posts quoted from crassbelch -admin]

P1971

10-05-2017 09:07 PM

I have been mentioned on this thread, though not sure why exactly due to the context.

I would just like to say yes I am involved in our library, but by no means are any of us political when it comes to our library in any way except for our own opinions & I will add the library is a polling station - as our library we are completely neutral - we are a library for the community and not for our own opinions.

If anyone wants to question me on this you can either ask me here, speak to me in person, or email me sugarmountain.info@gmail.com I am completely transparent & will answer to all.

Thank you.

appletree

11-05-2017 02:12 AM

The other forum has a political section you can opt out of, which I do. Then it is similar to this site, discussing local issues. I do not support the political views of the person who runs the site, but you do not have to interact with them.

I belong to both. For full coverage I belong to two in SE23, two in SE26, and the East Dulwich forum. Just want to know what is going in in the area!

Perryman

11-05-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:
This little 'elite' group have meetings and all think the same, guess that's why they all get on. It's mainly just local business owners who want to stay in the 20th century

I think this is pretty much right and good-luck to them - I hope their forum lasts many years as it is a relief not to have to read some of their more extreme views.
Not all there will entirely share these views but for all the protests, they all tolerate them and actively went out of their way to promote (and some fund) this vehicle in the first place. It was well known what it would be used for.

I used to regularly visit the library with my family but I would not go there now if I was paid. I no longer trust many of the key people who run it (or back it) by their associations with this other website alone.
(And anyone here can judge how genuinely community focussed prominent member(s) of the bid were as they vanished from view the very moment they won the bid for 'us'. To be fair, all privatisations and asset grabs follow the same depressing pattern.)

Anyway libraries, schools, museums, public broadcasters have a special responsibility to be well clear of the politically motivated.

michael

11-05-2017 02:13 PM

Perryman,
I'm genuinely saddened that you no longer feel you can use the community library, and that I may have lost your trust. As a prominent member of the library board I have not disappeared. I'm still active on the ward assembly coordinating group, in the Forest Hill Society, on the police ward panel, and on local forums. In fact it is the involvement in local forums that seems to concern you so much.

I'm reminded of a not too dissimilar discussion I had on this forum: https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.ph...8#pid76108
Should that be enough for us all to stop posting to this forum?

I reject the claim that my involvement (or anybody elses') in any forum in any way compromise the library.

If you are concerned that there is any political motivation in the management of the library I would recommend that you speak to the local councillors about your concerns. You make the comparison with schools and in that respect it is worth considering that governing bodies of state schools may well include members of political parties, but that doesn't mean they are politically motivated in their governance of the school.

Had the Forest Hill Society and the Traders not teamed up with V22 to form a management group we would not now have the library managed by the council as a public service and we might have a totally unsatisfactory library service in Forest Hill. Everything I have done personally, and as part of the community, in opposing the library leaving direct council control, and then in working to set up a community library, has been for the benefit of Forest Hill. Had my considerations been in any way political I wouldn't have switched positions in the way I did.

I'm very proud of the library and the support from the vast majority of the local community - volunteers, users, traders, and management.

This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 02:14 PM by michael.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields