SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Changes to rubbish collections from July 2017
blushingsnail

12-04-2017 04:14 PM

Is everyone aware of these changes? We haven't had any information through the letterbox yet.

Basically we'll be getting food waste bins (collected weekly) and the existing black bins will only be collected fortnightly. Recycling will continue to be weekly.

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/news/Pages/C...tions.aspx

Published on 24 February 2017

​From July there will be big changes to rubbish and recycling collections.

What is changing?

Free food waste collections

Anyone who currently has their own rubbish and recycling wheelie bins (mostly those who live in a house or a flat in a converted house) will get:

a small food waste bin to go alongside their other bins
a smaller kitchen caddy for food waste.
This is a brand-new weekly collection service and is free of charge.

Changes to black bin collections

Collections of non-recyclable rubbish will switch to fortnightly for most properties and there will be some changes to collection days. Recycling collections will remain weekly.

Everyone affected will get:

a letter explaining the changes.
instructions on how to use the new service
a calendar of collection days.
Recycling

We will continue to collect your recycling every week.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blushingsnail

12-04-2017 04:16 PM

Oops, should have posted this in Wider Topics. Sorry Admin.

samuelsen

12-04-2017 09:43 PM

Not had anything either apart from having seen a short non descriptive article about it in the councils monthly rag. (if they want to find another way of saving, why not scrap that useless magazine, i.e. all the production, printing and distribution costs that could be saved as a result)

Would have been more cost effective to have the recycling collection on a fortnightly basis and keep weekly general waste collections.

Can't see the point of a food waste recycling bin, caddy or scheme as most if not all of the boroughs waste already goes to the incinerator with very little if any going into landfill. Yet again council employees think they know best, but with a one party state in Lewisham that's not surprising. Guess what, you need consensus from the residents otherwise implementation is pointless. i.e. the low levels of take up of the garden waste brown bin scheme and which they charge for.

Personally won't bother with recycling any more as no incentive exists to do so. Everything will end up going into the general waste bin.

robbrockley

13-04-2017 04:38 PM

That doesn't make a lot of sense Samuelson. The incentive to recycle is that it is collected weeks as the council expect more of us to recycle more - which we are. For most people they will have less rubbish in the black bin, especially when food rubbish is taken out and put in another bin which is collected weekly. This is already standard for lots of councils around the country and it is for we example what happens in Bromley.

The other incentive is that recycling is good for all of us in terms of reducing landfill and being environmentally friendly. Putting it all in the black bin is the opposite of it and will just contribute to killing the planet.

Please think again.

Btw I agree with you re Lewisham Life - it is only 4 times a year but is a waste of money and should be cut.

Foresthillbillie

13-04-2017 06:59 PM

Already a thread about it here....

https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13176

Sherwood

14-04-2017 08:45 AM

I don't have any food waste. I eat it all!

Hillman

15-04-2017 10:50 AM

You eat bones, grisle, potato peel, orange peel, apple cores, grapfruit skin ?

I take my hat off to you.

Erekose

18-04-2017 12:16 PM

You mean you don't eat the apple core? How wasteful.

Sherwood

18-04-2017 07:40 PM

My Desperate Dan cook book says "place one cow between two layers of pastry for a steak pie.

But I must confess I don't eat banana skins!

Erekose

20-04-2017 06:18 AM

Ditto to banana skins but do leave skins on potatoes whenever practical......not so good with mash.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields