SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Changes to bin collections
Foresthillbillie

26-02-2017 01:36 PM

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/news/Pages/C...tions.aspx

I thought when Lewisham introduced the smaller black wheelie bins, this was the preferred option instead of fortnightly collections. Looks like now the smaller bins will only be emptied once a fortnight!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OakR

26-02-2017 08:59 PM

I'll apologise in advance to anyone walking past our nappy filled bins during any heatwave we might have!

Decker

26-02-2017 10:11 PM

Small black bin once a week was ridiculous. Now once a fortnight? Laughable.

When 50% of your council tax goes towards housing and looking after people on benefits (and set to rise to over 60%+) you've got to have a fundamental change in the way society works.

This is a controversial opinion but people on housing benefit should be forced to relocate out of central London on a case by case basis.

When the residents who pay all their taxes can't even get their rubbish picked up, you've got a problem.

samuelsen

27-02-2017 03:38 PM

So the Council are reducing general waste collections to once a fortnight and instead giving residents a food waste bin, well thanks BUT NO THANKS

Council Tax continues to increase year on year, with the 2017/18 bill likely to be +5% PLUS whatever additional percentage increase the Council add on, BUT service delivery is reduced.

It's time to take a stand, I see no incentive what so ever to recycle. EVERYTHING will be going in the black bin, garden waste and all and I doubt the Council will have resources to check the contents of each and every individual black bin before it gets emptied.

This post was last modified: 27-02-2017 03:38 PM by samuelsen.

Sherwood

27-02-2017 07:54 PM

Instead of one bin each week I will be putting out two every fortnight. I cannot see what benefit will be achieved.

SEN

27-02-2017 10:14 PM

Not sure I'm keen on fortnightly collections, though I think a few councils do it...anyone got any experiences to share?

However - and apologies if we are going off subject but I can't ignore this - how do we get from rubbish collection to

Quote:
people on housing benefit should be forced to relocate out of central London on a case by case basis

..?

Many people on housing benefit are working but on low wages. Our system, for good or bad, is based on enabling people in low paid work to survive through subsidies such as housing benefit. Could carers afford to live and work in London on wages alone?

Maybe this has more to do with central government cuts to local authorities. Governments love saving money by reducing council funding - most people blame the council, not them.

Anyway, back to original topic - would love to hear if anyone has experience of fortnightly collections

Applespider

28-02-2017 11:39 AM

Southwark have had fortnightly pickups for a few years. I think the Garden/food waste (brown bin) is still weekly. My neighbours and I share a brown bin so don't always notice.

It hasn't really been a problem. Yes, sometimes they fill up if you've had a spring clean but didn't notice them being particularly whiffy over summers. My Mum's council is moving to three-weekly collections of general waste from fortnightly.

I think fortnightly have become the norm in recent years.

Erekose

28-02-2017 01:39 PM

I did wonder why Lewisham have taken so long to adopt this as a refuse strategy as it has been the norm in various parts of the country for some time now. My elderly parents find remembering which bin to put out on which day to be the biggest problem rather than the amount of waste to be disposed of but I suppose they generate less than average.

BamptonRoad

28-02-2017 02:00 PM

Lewisham has some of the lowest recycling rates in the country. Mostly because people are lazy. Most other boroughs have fortnightly collections now.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/lo...77221.html

bkkmei

28-02-2017 02:06 PM

We were living in Southwark when they introduced this system. We had a much smaller (though sufficient enough) food waste bin to put out weekly. In the kitchen we had the small caddy lined with biodegradeable bags supplied by Southwark - presumably Lewisham will do the same? There was some concern about vermin, but Southwark seemed to have it answers for this.

It worked ok, though the increasing number of bins out front was unsightly. I had even just had a baby so there were nappies galore - thoroughly wrapped I might add. No real smell - though it was winter!!

I'm intrigued by the idea of asking for another black bin and putting out two every two weeks, assuming that one bin is not enough.

hdc

20-03-2017 02:51 PM

I've got to say, I'm not thrilled, but after receiving a note from Lewisham saying they got their funds cut by 62%, I can see why this is happening.
Services, including schools, are going to suffer badly and this is just the beginning...

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields