SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Forest Hill stabbing
hillview

12-12-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:
Forest Hill 'stabbing': Knifeman 'stabs passenger on train' and 'chases people shouting "I want to kill a Muslim"'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/for...bs-9443379

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cllr Paul Upex

12-12-2016 05:43 PM

Thank you to police and ambulance services who attended the scene in Forest Hill today. My thoughts and best wishes are with those injured today.

http://media.btp.police.uk/r/13550/appea...s_assault_

Perryman

16-12-2016 10:48 AM

Interestingly he has now been charged with attempted murder rather than just GBH.
So presumably he has been assessed to some extent, and found to be responsible for his actions.

Joining the dots, you have think that he had overindulged in some way, and then rather than waking up in his armchair 6 hours later with crosses in his eyes and a stupid smirk on his face, he has found out that he has near murdered someone and will spend the next 30 years in jail.

It is a sobering thought.

OakR

16-12-2016 12:10 PM

Who knows,, drugs and alcohol can of course often play a part, perhaps medication (or lack of it), undiagnosed or untreated mental health issues, who knows. I guess it will come out in the wash.

This post was last modified: 16-12-2016 12:10 PM by OakR.

humbolt

16-12-2016 04:50 PM

In the couple of days after the incident. There was a visible British Transport Police presence on the platform and elsewhere around the precincts of the station. Presumably in order to provide 'reassurance' to the travelling public? I noted that this presence was only there during the peak commuting times of the day and not at the same time the incident actually took place, around lunchtime. When thankfully, the frequency and volume of train passengers is comparatively low.

The PR value of several uniformed police officers patrolling the precincts of FH station is beyond doubt. But wouldn't logic dictate that they were present throughout the day and not just when they're going to be most conspicuous to the travelling public?

robin orton

16-12-2016 08:33 PM

It doesn't reassure me at all when I see flak-jacketed policeman pacing around in pairs, with lots of bits of metal sticking out of them which are obviously meant to give the impression they're armed. In fact, it rather frightens me - will I get caught in the cross-fire? I do not believe that having lots of macho-looking police around on the streets protects us from crime to any significant extent. In my view, the police would be better employed collecting and analysing intelligence about the sort of people who might commit this sort of attack and keeping tabs on them.

OakR

16-12-2016 08:45 PM

I suspect it's not economic to have police on duty permanently at all stations and the y are best deployed elsehwere. After incidents such as these, I believe a standard response is to deploy police visibly to reassure people - it does not appear to have worked for Robin but I think \ assume it does for many people.

When I first went to New York, I did find it reassuring seeing police everywhere (in Manhattan anyway), I'm not bothered either way when I go now.

I would personally like to see more police presence on the ground generally (not static but patrolling \ engaging with the public) and in police cars etc but I can't see it happening.

hillview

22-08-2017 07:42 AM

The court case is now proceeding.

Quote:
Adrian Brown, 38, was said to be suffering a severe psychotic episode when he stabbed Muhammed Ali in a London Overground carriage on 12 December.

The intervention of other passengers on the train, which was travelling between Honor Oak Park and Forest Hill, south London, might have saved the victim’s life, his trial at Southwark crown court heard.

Brown accepted he carried out the attack but pleaded not guilty to a charge of attempted murder on the grounds of insanity.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017...ter-threat

samuelsen

22-08-2017 09:42 PM
hillview

04-10-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:
An Earlswood mum showed extraordinary courage to dodge a knifeman in order to save the victim of a brutal stabbing.

Anita Greaves thought she and her baby son “were definitely going to die” as a “terrifying” knife-wielding man advanced towards them down a train station platform.

Seconds before he had stabbed a man multiple times on a train that had just arrived at Forest Hill station, after shouting “I want to kill a Muslim”.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-n...d-13713151

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill stabbing hillview 2 5,035 26-03-2019 03:46 PM
Last Post: hillview