SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bell Green Retail & Employment Park Consultation
shaman

29-11-2016 12:39 PM

Proposal to remove the gas holders and build an Aldi.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ThorNogson

29-11-2016 08:25 PM

perhaps this should also be in the SE23 threads part of the forum - since traffic issues affect the roads in SE23 leading to Bell Green, which is in SE6. More traffic down Perry Rise, more congestion in the Bell Green Roads. Wondering about what improvements could be made in that area - pedestrian access and crossings are not very friendly around the B&Q/Sainsburys area. The proposal puts forward a new memorial garden for Livesey Hall - but I wondered if the developers could be thinking of something more imaginative and substantial such as renovation of that Hall for community use, improved pedestrian and cycle parking / access to the Bell Green area, a significant endowment to the charity now running the community library or similar. I would think that an Aldi, plus a Nando/Pizza Express or similar is what we are likely to see.

Londondrz

30-11-2016 09:52 AM

How many people do you see cycling to the Bell Green Sainsburys for their weekly shopping?

wynell

30-11-2016 10:24 AM

I have seen a fantastic development near Kings Cross where the preservation of the Gas Holders has been undertaken but internally there has been the construction of apartments/homes.

Whilst I am sure these wonderful structures need to be Preserved? The internal space could be put to some use when homes are desperately required. Before I get responses regarding ground contamination etc if they can do it elsewhere then as a brownfield site it should be a priority.

Londondrz

30-11-2016 10:45 AM

The cost implications for making the site into housing are restrictive.

ThorNogson

30-11-2016 11:46 AM

I see many people cycling in that area - Perry Rise, Southend Lane, Bell Green and of course the waterlink way. Also , given the dominance of space for cars, a surprising amount of people on foot - just saying there's an opportunity with new developments to encourage safe walking and cycling by thoughtful design.

This post was last modified: 30-11-2016 11:47 AM by ThorNogson.

AMFM

30-11-2016 12:11 PM

Just because you don't see people doing in Londonrz doesn't mean it shouldn't be encouraged - and the only way you are going to encourage it is to make the roads friendlier to cyclists.

I don't necessarily use my bike for a full weekly shop but I do often use it to pop down to Bell Green to get a few bits and pieces (and panniers hold a surprising amount of stuff) - going on the bike often works out far faster than using the car (and before anyone says it - I obey all traffic rules and never run the red lights)

Erekose

30-11-2016 01:54 PM

Aside from being Planning speak what exactly is an 'employment park'?

wynell

30-11-2016 02:14 PM

Londonrz if they can make it work elsewhere with associated costs then housing must be possible at Bell Green.
The alternative is just empty gas holders which may have some historical value? I can find no information that they are of a rare design or have some significance and with the aforementioned development in Kings Cross the structure has been preserved and renovated.
Lewisham council need more housing better to use brownfield sites which by my understanding can qualify for government funding help

Perryman

30-11-2016 09:34 PM

I cycle there frequently, to pick up odds and ends and to access the waterlink, and it used to be a much safer experience before the north-side (plastic bags fields) of the gasworks was developed.

The times I've walked, I end up climbing over barriers and pushing my way through hedges to access the 1st class front access of the 'sava centre' rather than being funnelled the long way round past the alkies and bins and piped pigeon death calls. Nothing wrong with any of this except I don't remember this in the xmas ads.
Generally, I can't understand how the council approved this people-unfriendly design, and can only think that by being designated a retail park, it is not required to provide all the niceties that would demanded of a high street. I have zero expectations anything much will change with this regeneration.

PS I had not realised the gasometers were no longer needed - I thought they helped take the pressure off our ancient pipework.

Erekose

30-11-2016 10:03 PM

Speaking of old pipe work how is the repair to the broken gas main at the junction going?

shaman

05-12-2016 12:15 AM

wynell wrote:
The alternative is just empty gas holders which may have some historical value? I can find no information that they are of a rare design or have some significance

I found this:

Quote:
there are probably only two other surviving early pioneering examples with tee-section lattice guide frame standards, both in London. The No. 1 gasholder at Kennington, near the Oval, was completed a year later in 1879 but its standards were subsequently raised; and the 1882 gasholder at Sydenham.

http://residents-first.co.uk/the-histori...gasholder/

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  M&S Food Hall plan to open at Bell Green rbmartin 3 877 09-02-2024 10:34 AM
Last Post: jgdoherty
  Bizarre Road Rage Incident - Bell Green 29/1/24 samuelsen 0 536 29-01-2024 09:58 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  The Bell Green Works development proposed by Barratt London consists of: Six blocks o samuelsen 2 968 15-01-2024 10:24 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Aldi to take over the former Toys R Us store at Bell Green samuelsen 8 9,680 06-03-2019 07:53 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Accident bell green cljdc02 0 3,353 03-10-2016 07:41 AM
Last Post: cljdc02
  Bell Green Sainsbury's Elizabeth25 8 12,152 10-04-2008 10:58 AM
Last Post: Elizabeth25
  Bell Green gasholders Savacentre development Sherwood 7 12,451 24-01-2008 09:56 AM
Last Post: PVP