SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Buses
multisync

04-10-2008 05:20 PM

Does anyonr know why the 75 bus was being rerouted along Brockley Rise and Sunderland Road around lunchtime today

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

04-10-2008 05:53 PM

No but that is a very strange diversion. I would guess problem on Woolstone but could be wrong.

ChrisR

04-10-2008 06:27 PM

There was a serious accident in Catford about 11am at the junction by the library (apparently an elderly lady was knocked down and dragged under a lorry) closing Catford Rd between the main junction and Canadian Avenue. A lot of bus routes were diverted for hours. Having got off a 185 from Forest Hill in Catford about 2pm I then found I couldn't get home at 3.30pm! Had to get another bus into Lewisham to be able to pick up the 185/122 there but by the time I got to Lewisham found they had reopened the road (around 3.45pm) and so went all the way back through Catford again. Lost well over an hour of the afternoon sitting in traffic and waiting for buses plus extra bus fares! Although I appreciate the accident wasn't London Buses fault, their lack of communication with customers was as usual poor. No warning when we got off the bus the Catford we wouldn't be able to get back. Having been told to go to Lewisham to change onto the affected routes it was even more annoying that the drivers then chose to cut out Lewisham High St and used Molesworth St giving us a trek right through the Shopping Centre with heavy shopping! No London Buses staff at Lewisham to warn passengers buses were being diverted. I'd heard about the accident on the radio hours before but no mention of the disruption to buses.

baggydave

18-11-2008 11:54 PM

Is it me or are the buses getting slower.

Faced with an unusual journey into work today, and no excuse to claim the money back, I thought shall I pay ?3.50 for a single on the train, and face all the problems that you lot go on about, or 90p (yes I admit it with an Oyster card) and use the bus. Well jumped on one near to Lordship Lane Station (176) (I think technically in Forest Hill) and although there were no serious traffic jams, nor are there any longer big delays due to passengers paying in cash, still took 70 minutes to get into town (Charing X). OK so I had my own seat, and with the window open just mangaged not to over-heat.

I thought of chipping into the train debate with this post, or starting a post - trains vs the bus. But, no, let the bus have a thread all of its own.

shzl400

19-11-2008 04:41 PM

I'm afraid that this sort of thing makes buses only suitable for local travel, unless you've got bags of time or want to enjoy the view from the top deck, which is not a bad reason to go on a bus.

In my youth, I used to take the 176 from Camberwell to Oxford Circus as a daily commute. I'd get on about 8:15 and be at work just after nine and get lots of good reading time.

It's a similar dilemma train or fly. You wouldn't take the train to, say, Eastern Europe, unless you were doing it for the journey, on a very tight budget - e.g. gap year travel - or very green. But to destinations like Paris or Edinburgh, it becomes a much finer decision.

Toffeejim

19-11-2008 05:44 PM

Baggydave, clearly you were doing the wrong crossword. Leave the Mail or Guardian at home and try the Telegraph. You'll find the time flies by.

baggydave

20-11-2008 11:20 PM

Thank you TJ, what most excellent advice. Will make a change from trying to get through Adrian Chiles, the story of my life and why my wife couldn't live with me (or something along those lines)

PS sorry Adrian, but you do take things a little too far

baggydave

20-11-2008 11:25 PM

For those of you clearly obsessed with train times (we used to spot numbers in my day) there is a cheap alternative, the bus. OK it takes twice as long, and stops a lot. But you don't have to change at London Bridge, there is no crush, you get a seat, it gives you time to do the Telegraph Crossword (thanks TJ), you can listen into other people's mobile phone conversations in peace (and they tend to be longer and more interesting than the ones on the train), you can see places like Peckham or the Elephant than I know many of us in SE23 are frightened of, but in relative safety, and it costs only a quarter of the peak time rail fare.

junegapi

23-11-2008 08:28 PM

BD Do you want to be treated like a customer - take the bus. Or do you want to be treated like a sardine - go by train. Or if you want the freedom of fresh air - go by bike.

brian

24-11-2008 09:59 AM

Staff on buses generally very good and I do not envy their job.

Big problem is our former Mayor giving free travel to children , who in most cases can walk.

If you get the bus 197 or 176 at former McDonalds at school time hoards of young ladies get on for two sops to go to The Finishing School for Ladies on Dartmouth Rd. Other passengers are brushed aside. I pods are going full blast and mobile phones , do not even mention them.Also do not thanks driver when entering and alighting.

Also the 75 at Perry Vale Fire Station. Got on last Friday only just , was full of young gentlemen for Dacres Rd school , again 2 stops. Driver said most got on previous stop.

We should go back to previous situaution. You got a free pass if you lived 3 miles or over. The driver of the 75 said no wonder kids are obsese.

Come on Boris. You can make a difference.

multisync

24-11-2008 12:30 PM

The kids should only have free travel to and from school NOT WEEKENDS.They get on dne up to the nines with make up,no bus pass and expect to travel free.As if it's there ---forsaken right.Change the rules Boris,do something right!

junegapi

24-11-2008 01:19 PM

I'm a crusty old 66 year old, but rather like young people travelling to and fro. We were all children once upon a time.

brian

24-11-2008 03:11 PM

True but I walked to school and had no mobile or i pod. I was also taught to thanks the driver whenever I did travel by bus.

baggydave

25-11-2008 12:15 AM

My mate always used to complain when we were students and had a ten o'clock lecture as at 9.30 the OAP's used to get on the bus with their free passes. So it cuts both ways.

When BD was a boy we got the double decker BMMO buses up the hill to school, they were crowded and I was always scared that I wouldn't get chance to pay. Of coures I soon worked out that I shouldn't pay in any case, ie walk and spend the money on fruit salads, black jacks etc

By the time I left for secondary school the double decker had gone to a single deck, and by the time I left secondary school it had gone to a mini bus. I think a few of the poor kids now have a council taxi service. Good that the buses are still used in London

What were trolley buses like?

brian

25-11-2008 04:23 PM

Baggy Dave Pensioners do not get free travel until 9am and on average do not play loud music and are polite to driver

calvin

25-11-2008 05:57 PM

My 13-year-old has an Oyster card that lets her travel free on buses, and it saves us a great deal of trouble and worry. If she's playing football in Catford, for example, or wants to go to Forest Hill Library, she can jump on a bus with a friend and get home safely and quickly. No loose change, etc. or long walks down a major road making herself a target.

She had to sign a code of behaviour promising not to use bad language or play loud music under threat of losing her card; maybe we should try getting that one enforced!

brian

25-11-2008 06:35 PM

I agree Calvin. I am sure your daughter behaves well.
Would be interesting to know how many cards have been withdrawn ?

Applespider

25-11-2008 06:42 PM

I get on buses every day - during the morning rush hour with lots of kids on board and in the evening although after the school-rush.

Have to say that I can't think of any instances where a kid deserved to lose their Oyster card. I'll moan that I can't get on a P4 during termtime because of them (but only in a half-hearted way since the traffic through the Village is so bad too that it's not a viable route except during holidays. Perhaps I've been lucky or just too engrossed in my book but for the most part, the biggest problem on our local buses is the sheer number of people trying to get on them rather than the types of people or their behaviour once on.

brian

26-11-2008 10:55 AM

You are very lucky then applespider.

baggydave

30-11-2008 10:26 PM

Ahh th e P4, timetabled to take 36 - 43 minutes from Lewisham to Brixton. But that has an idealised view about the mile and a half from the Grove Tavern to the Harvester. What a nightmare. Is is because all due to the precious parents having to drive their darling children to the schools in the Village? There is a thread about East Dulwich, but the thing about Dulwich Village that doesn't attract me is the rush hour grid lock.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields