SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Rejoice - new shop in Forest Hill
admin
Administrator

14-10-2007 08:00 PM

Posts from old forum ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 10:09 am:

On the site of the old Pizza Pianeta past Sainsbury's on London Road - it seems a Turkish place is opening up called Telli Baba: they claim to be based in Germany. It seems like it's going to offer more than after-the-pub kebabs. Nice to see something new opening in FH Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elizabeth25
Joined 04-03-2005
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 10:26 am:

That sounds good, especially if it is more than just kebabs. I still miss Pianta though. They made nice pizzas. What happened to them, anyone know?

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 10:50 am:

I know. The Pianeta guys were great Smile Lovely pizzas, too Smile

Haylands
Joined 29-09-2006
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 10:51 am:

The pizza's were great, however I think the managment was rather haphazard. On a number of occasions our order was either incorrect, freebies missed off delivery or 2 hours after our order was taken the delivery would arrive having been promised many times that it was on it's way. We finally gave up on them...shortly afterwards they closed. Telli Baba be warned!!

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 11:02 am:

Let's be nice to them - to start with, at least Smile hehe

Vipes
Joined 10-10-2006
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 02:20 pm:

To start with, Nevermodern? The Forest Hill way has been for the more slipshod of our catering establishments to open, suffer a bit of table emptiness and then, slowly but surely, the badly written neon cards start to spawn in the windows. Seemingly feeding off the growing desperation of no doubt well intentioned staff.

Here, however, BEFORE THEY EVEN OPEN the dreaded cards are up. In all their glory. Covering the ENTIRE window space. I despair.

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 03:43 pm:

How about waiting to see if the food is any good, vipes? Wink Not that it's important... Smile

Vipes
Joined 10-10-2006
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 03:54 pm:

To me it just looks cheap and desperate. If it turns out any different I'll eat my baklava balaclava.

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 04:52 pm:

Better than an empty shop?

Robwinton
Joined 07-06-2006
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 05:36 pm:

Not necessarily Nevermodern.

An empty shop is depressing. A business having to close, with the substantial financial impact on the owner and the loss of jobs, is REALLY bad.

I feel for entrepreneurs who stake their financial security, and that of their family, on a business venture. I just wish that those who go for it might think a little first to ensure they are not throwing money away.

No reflection on this establishment as I have not seen it yet, but what we need are "better" places that have a future rather that one more outlet competing in the "cheapest take-out" stakes.

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 06:28 pm:

It's still better, in my opinion, to have an occupied shop than an empty shop, which says 'run-down' much more than a shop which is active and at least providing a service. To other prospective businesses who may be interested in moving to FH, functioning shops at least says there are customers around to be sold to. Empty shops say there are *no* customers.

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 06:34 pm:

One more thing, I have no idea what this new place will be like, and granted their initial presentation isn't the best! But what is actually written on the shop window sounds more interesting than 'cheapest take-out'. Since I moved to FH a year and a half ago, four shops have become vacant on london road. Again, anything that reverses that is better than nowt. I wish people could be just a *little* more positive sometimes, instead of waiting in vain for Carluccio's to appear in FH.

Robwinton
Joined 07-06-2006
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 09:09 pm:

I thought I WAS being supportive and positive, but also sensitive.

As I said, I have not seen it, so please do not take this as disapproval of the business - I might be a big customer (not that Turkish food often features on my menus to date).

I did not say we should NOT have them, just that I hope that the new owners have done their research before spending their money. Even if I am not their target market, I hope there is a market for them.

There is no point in pushing local residents to open businesses that will fail. For the record, if anyone is thinking of opening ANY kind of business in the area, this forum is an excellent way of getting feedback BEFORE you commit your money, and a way to generate business. USE IT! Look at the word of mouth generated for the Honor Oak.

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2007 - 09:17 pm:

My previous comments were directed generally. Didn't intend to label you a moaner, Rob. I know you're very supportive of the locale. Smile I just say let's wait for the food and the service and then judge. I've eaten at great places which have looked like the dog's dinner, so to speak, from the outside. Let's not damn them for their bad pre-sign signage Smile In the meantime, one less empty shop is good for me Wink

On a different note, apparently a coffee shop chain is interested in the empty unit in Sainsbury's.

Baggydave
Joined 19-05-2004
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2007 - 06:05 pm:

What's a neon card? And is it ever goning to stop raining? And I've been to a fair few tacky places in my life that have ended up being quite decent, but as my brain is still under water I seem to have lost my memory.

Les
Joined 28-01-2004
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2007 - 10:58 pm:

I'm sorry - I went to have a look today and the shop looks rubbish. And it's not just the rain that makes it look that way. I wasn't even sure if it was open. Got to do better than that.

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Monday, 28 May, 2007 - 09:34 am:

Well, it's clearly not open, for goodness' sake. The 'coming soons' tell you that, and the fact that the signage is for the old shop, Pizza Pianeta. Let's hope, when it *does* open, that is *is* a pile of rubbish - just so you can say "I told you so" and we can go back to five empty shops on London Road (five closed shops in a year and a half) and the long and tortuous wait for something that'll tickle your fancy. Heaven forbid somebody like Subway take a liking to FH. They'll be chased outa town.

Brian
Joined 18-04-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2007 - 01:04 pm:

Well Turkish shop based in Germany sounds very logical. I have had many Turkish meals in Deutschland.
I will be impressed if not a mere takeaway attracting the lowest common denominator

Mrjamon
Joined 11-06-2007
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2007 - 02:20 pm:

I'm with Nevermodern, stop acting snobbish and predicting it's going to be a run of the mill kebab house. I like the fact that they are atleast informing us who they are and the specialities they have on offer. As well as emphasising fresh produce and meals. Your ordinary kebab house won't give a damn in regards to informing potential customers what they have on offer..I'm not saying it's going to be the Ivy but I like the fact that it sounds like it has respect for informing us and a respect for fresh ingredients.

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2007 - 08:31 pm:

Planning permission granted for a new shopfront on dartmouth road - the one with the funny gold-ish lamps, just up from the dartmouth arms Smile Maybe new shop to open?

Also, the cafe there has been given an alcohol licence and permission to trade on Sundays. Anyone know of change afoot?

I'm sure I'm being wildly optimistic...but hey Smile

Robwinton
Joined 07-06-2006
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2007 - 09:55 pm:

The planning permission for the "place with the funny gold-ish lamps" is for an illuminated sign for a property rental company (originally I think the application was for a solicitors' office). Nothing exciting. Quite the contrary. It removes one more of the larger retail premises from the market. Sorry.

Interesting news about the alcohol licence. What cafe do you mean?

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2007 - 11:20 am:

Can't remember what it's called - it's the greasy spoon one just up from the dartmouth arms.

Baboonery
Joined 18-09-2007
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2007 - 05:01 pm:

I live above the place with the funny gold lamps, I think. Used to be Ruff Ryders scooters. It's going to be an estate agent's, as opposed to a solicitor's office, which it was going to be when I moved in 18 months ago.

The caf? in the old Dewhurst butchers has indeed had an alcohol licence approved, though it's been open Sundays for some time.

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2007 - 05:08 pm:

Someone has been fiddling with the electrics and clearing stuff at the old Organic Republic shop...

..I'm tingling with excitement. lol.

Loca
Joined 20-09-2007
Posted on Thursday, 20 September, 2007 - 06:12 pm:

Do we have any more news on Organic Republic, this topic was raised before and I think the owner said they would convert it into a coffee shop!!

Find all posts by this user

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Burglary at Alex Charity Shop in Forest Hill admin 0 2,566 16-11-2019 08:35 AM
Last Post: admin
  Fri 4/9/15: Community Day @ British Red Cross Shop, Forest Hill admin 0 4,863 28-08-2015 02:52 PM
Last Post: admin
  New coffee shop in Forest Hill admin 23 27,673 15-01-2014 05:51 PM
Last Post: Prampusher