SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Robbery at Siddons News
Elizabeth25

17-11-2008 08:31 AM

This happened on Friday. Sometime during the day (in broad daylight) a group of men rushed the Siddons News shop on the corner of Siddons and Shipman Rd.

They smashed the glass, cut off the CCTV, and stole the cash register. No one was hurt. The woman who ownes the store ran and hid, thank God.

Siddons News now has a new door and and a new cash register--and are still trading (they have been invaluable to me for those days when you need milk, toilet paper etc...)

I thought I would post this, so other business know of incidents. This does seem like a professional operation. But it seems strange that such an effort would have been acted upon to steal a small corner shop's till--which probably wouldn't have had more than ?200 in it.

I'm thinking this was some sort of 'trial run' for something bigger. Hopefully the police are the case.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

17-11-2008 09:13 AM

Amazing story. Very sad we are coming to this and thankfully the lady not hurt.
We want other shops to open in Se 23. This will not encourage them so to do.

bigbadwolf

17-11-2008 06:43 PM

Although it's a horrible thing to have done to your business in this case it doesn't surprise me as Siddons news is so isolated. My condolences to the owner on what must have been a terrifying experience.

faultythinking

13-03-2009 07:45 PM

Resurrecting an old thread...

There was an attempted robbery today at Siddons News. I think it was at around 3pm; there were a couple of police cars still in attendance when I went past. I talked to the owner; I believe he scared them off this time.

brian

13-03-2009 07:59 PM

Very sad , very nice people. Trust they are OK.
Better not say anymore.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields