SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
2018 proposed changes to Southern timetable
SEN

01-10-2016 09:58 AM

I've had a chance to look at this in a bit more detail and will be writing to the Mayor, our MP and Councillors. In danger of sounding like a typical angry commuter...but I may have to accept that's what I am!

Basically, TfL and Southern have used the disruption in London Bridge to cut services to Forest Hill, Sydenham, Honor Oak Park, Brockley and New Cross Gate. Used to be 6 trains an hour to London Bridge in peak times, now it will be four, and half of these will be cancelled frequently (the Victoria loop line is often cancelled when running late).

I did a bit of hunting for passenger stats and found 2013-14 here (relevant because after this it was affected by London Bridge cuts). I've attached some screenshots from the data sorted by passenger entries+exits - I couldn't see passenger impact in the consultation but I suspect they are using flawed figures from the period when London Bridge services, including the interchange for Waterloo East/Charing Cross, had been reduced. This would have forced many people to use other stations (as I did myself).

I would argue the London Bridge via Forest Hill service should be increased rather than reduced because:
- the interchange at Canada Water is already overcrowded, as are Overground trains, and cuts will force more passengers to change at Canada Water
- the alternative Overground trains are woefully inadequate, being 5 carriages instead of 10, and Canada Water was only designed for 4 carriage trains so rear doors don't work.
- Forest Hill in particular is one of the busiest commuter stations in London, busier than West Croydon or Norwood Junction. When mainline stations and interchanges are excluded it is near the top, with Brockley not far behind.
- more than 14 million passengers a year use the Forest Hill/London Bridge line from Sydenham, Forest Hill, HOP and Brockley.

Hopefully my workings will attach...I sorted London's stations by entries/exits. Very happy for others to use this if they write/post elsewhere! (And for someone better with stats to improve them!!)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

This post was last modified: 01-10-2016 10:03 AM by SEN.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: 2018 proposed changes to Southern timetable - SEN - 01-10-2016 09:58 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  September Southern Timetable changes rbmartin 17 8,803 01-10-2022 01:18 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Southern Timetable Dec 2015 BleuPeep 3 5,427 31-12-2015 11:43 PM
Last Post: rbmartin