SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Cycling on the pavement
Bangorben

24-08-2016 10:50 PM

As a daily cyclist it really annoys me when I see other adult cyclists using the pavement (let alone jumping lights!). It's potentially dangerous and a bit unnecessary in my opinion.

On numerous occasions I have witnessed the targeting of cycling commuters cutting corners via pavements and getting £50 fines – fair enough I think, that is the law to be fair.

Frustratingly though, I have also witnessed the absolute acceptance by many community officers and police of other adult cyclists that blatantly and exclusively use the pavements rather than the road. In speaking to these 'law enforcers' I have been told that it's difficult to enforce the payment of fines relating to these cyclists. As a result they "don't target them".

I welcome being put straight on this matter as I may well have glanced over a social norm unbeknownst to me. However it just seems, like much else admittedly, a little bit unfair especially in a time where many of us strive for a healthy dollop of equality.

Bike rant over.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BT

25-08-2016 06:56 AM

This is a problem all over the country.
Here in Norwich the Council has been installing Cycle paths all around the City and the biggest bone of contention is that Cyclists don't use them, with the result that there is a huge amount of anger against them.

People have been verbally abused by Cyclists when they have challenged them for riding on the footpaths, and the main complaint is the speed and total disregard for pedestrians. Pavement cyclists seem to think that people should jump out of the way to allow them a clear run at inappropriate speeds.

Lets face it cycling on the footpath IS ILLEGAL regardless of what the inconsiderate cyclists might think.

Poppy9560

25-08-2016 09:46 AM

I wish the police would do something -it drives me mad seeing people cycling on the pavements. If people don't want to cycle on the roads then WALK!

michael

25-08-2016 02:26 PM

I've been reliably informed by many cyclists that this is not an issue worth making a fuss about. Afterall the cyclists are doing a good thing by cycling and although cycling on the pavement is wrong, it is better than driving a car. And most cyclists I speak to never see anybody cycling on the pavements.

Most car drivers are happy to break the speed limit occasionally and some have even been known to park illegally, more importantly when they hit cyclists or pedestrians they cause death or serious injury. Cyclists are more likely to just swear at you if you are in their way, and when they do crash into pedestrians they probably won't kill them. Because cars are more likely to be a threat to pedestrians walking on the pavement there is really little point complaining about this as a serious problem.

The problem apparently is that roads are not safe enough for cyclists, which gives them the right to cycle on the pavements. If we want this to stop then they should be given their own lanes on the roads to make sure they are 100% safe.

If you see a cyclist on the pavement you should probably tut disapprovingly. Anything more is an over-reaction to a problem that doesn't really exist. Bear in mind that it is you, not the cyclist, that is the problem. Best just to let them get on with it, just like we do when we see a speeding motorists.

In truth any conversation about this anti-social behaviour is pointless and any action is ineffective.

Poppy9560

25-08-2016 03:06 PM

I was nearly squashed by a Deliveroo cyclist as I crossed the road (foolishly thinking as the pedestrian light was green I would be safe!) hurtling through a red light at speed.......Sad

they give real cyclists a bad name

borderpaul

25-08-2016 06:42 PM

And of course you reported the Deliveroo cyclist because you could take a photo on your mobile of their number plate and send it to the company and the police.

No, you didn't because you can't, so only about 1 in every 1,000 cycling accidents and offences are reported and that is when there is a serious injury.

I think pedestrians need to feel some cohesiveness and moral outrage, we need to learn something from the cyclists sense of arrogance and join together to fight them at zebra crossings and pedestrian crossings when we announce to our kids "Green Man" so they can cross safely.

Interesting article about how cyclists are not seen as dangerous to pedestrians.
http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/57065/c...rians-cars

I think we should have an I love FH Pedestrians campaign to foster respect between our cycling fraternity who are generally a friendly lot and those who cross at Sainsburys.

Next week, I will be taking up cycling.

Erekose

25-08-2016 08:12 PM

Being old and curmudgeonly I tend not to step aside for them on narrow pavements. This tends to make them cross but is worth it to have the high moral ground in any verbal exchanges which ensue. They do so resent having to stop or, heaven forbid move into the road.

ForestHillier

26-08-2016 09:38 AM

and maybe cyclists should then start to pay insurance and tax like motorists do - what if a cyclist knocks you over and kills of injuries you - how do you claim if they have no insurance

Now i have nothing against cyclists as i cycle a bit myself - yet they should not be able to break the law by cycling on the pavement

However as in all walks of life - there are good and bad

michael

26-08-2016 10:37 AM

An increasing number of cyclists do have insurance, those who belong to cycling clubs. The problem (and it is a small one as there are few 'hit and run' cyclists where compensation would be appropriate) is one with casual cyclists (like you for example) and bad cyclists who don't take it seriously.

But if you are cycling occasionally and believe that all cyclists should get insurance, then I would suggest that you first check your car insurance or home contents insurance to see if it covers you for 3rd party costs while cycling. If not, you might want to buy such insurance, just like the most serious cyclists do.

If you think this is something that should be compulsory or is needed to protect pedestrians, then I hope that as an occasional cyclists you will ensure that you are adequately insured.

ForestHillier

26-08-2016 12:12 PM

Fair points Michael as I dont believe my car insurance 3rd party part would cover me for cycling - something I feel I should look into - as you never know whats around the corner, thanks for high-lighting this

borderpaul

26-08-2016 03:05 PM

I think cyclists will have insurance to protect themselves and not those they injure. Has anybody ever heard of a cyclist (casual or regular) ever stopping and giving their details.

I do think that as cyclists start to outnumber drivers in central London, it is probably not too onerous to ask that cyclists are required to carry or produce ID as motorists are required to do. I don't think cyclists help themselves by being seen as above the law.

Ultimately rather than having rational law which the cycling organizations should encorage, we will see some bad cyclists kill/seriously injure a few innocent pedestrians and see a massive backlash against their irresponsible conduct and it will affect all cyclists.

Erekose

26-08-2016 03:49 PM

I like the current trend of cycling along whilst fiddling with the smart phone - Fortunatly not as dangerous as when vehicle drivers do it and probably self limiting in a Darwinian kind of way.

OakR

26-08-2016 07:53 PM

I believe cyclists going quickly down pavements are a danger to people and especially on residential roads where children can walk out with no effective notice for the cyclist.

I don't have an issue with young children, or the adults accompanying them, cycling on the pavement, in fact I prefer it.

I believe there is a law in one of our close European neighbours countries where you are generally to blame unless you can prove otherwise of you are the bigger danger ie cyclist into pedestrian , cyclist fault, car into cyclist, car drivers fault, lorry into car, lorry drivers fault etc. Effectively you lok out for the weaker more likely to get injured party.

As someone who has walked, cycled, had a mortorbike and cars yo can find reason to get annoyed with every other person's preference method of transport. Best thing we can all do, expect stupidity and be ready for it and try not to get wound up about it and try to educate our fellow commuters on how to stay safe for all!

InTheForest

07-09-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:
Only about 1 in every 1,000 cycling accidents and offences are reported and that is when there is a serious injury.

I can't imagine the majority of driver offences are reported. People forever run red lights, stop over pedestrian crossings and use their phones while driving but aren't reported.

I'd be anti compulsory insurance as it's just a barrier to the casual cyclist. One of the good things about it is that you can just go.

Skua

07-09-2016 03:41 PM

It really irritates me too, and I use a bike for my daily commute.

If I'm walking on the pavement and see a cyclist coming towards me, I always do my level best to get in their way. If they object, I just ask them if they're scared of using the road, or point out that they don't look 15 (the maximum age you're legally entitled to cycle on the pavement I think). That usually shuts them up.

There really is no reason to do so - my view is that roads are for wheeled vehicles, and the pavement is for pedestrians, end of.

nottinghillbilly

07-09-2016 09:57 PM

Ive noticed an increasing amount of cyclists cycling on the pavement.
It :angers me to be honest.
Pavements are for pedestrians not cycles.
I've also seen an astounding number of cyclists at night wearing dark non reflective clothing and no lights-Its insanity on their part.
Cycling in town is dangerous enough but minus lights, and often helmets?
insanity!Sad

ForestHillier

08-09-2016 09:10 AM

so why should motorists have insurance then, if cyclists dont have to ? as both use the road

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields