SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Chandos Pub
milliemop

02-07-2016 09:27 PM

I have been told that the Chandos will shut down mid July for a refurb and will reopen as a gastropub with the bar and toilets downstairs and an eating area upstairs.

This would be a huge asset to the area, in my opinion, and would bring what was a great pub back in the day, back to its rightful place.

Has anyone got any info on whether this is true or have I been mugged off Laugh

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Erekose

03-07-2016 06:23 AM

My children told me the same thing so either it's a widely spread rumour or it's actually going to happen. Always found it slightly unfriendly in the past - well to be fair that was 30 years ago so it may have been good more recently.

HOPlocal

03-07-2016 11:46 AM

I hope this is true. Its a great location and I'm sure it would be very successful with a refreshed offering.

kelly

04-07-2016 06:09 PM

Frontier pubs,the joint venture between food and fuel and enterprise inns the freeholder will launch its first site at the Chandon in September ,it will be a craft beer led pub with a complementary food offer still being worked on,hope this helps

milliemop

04-07-2016 07:45 PM

Thank you Kelly, exciting times ahead Thumbsup

Poppy9560

05-07-2016 10:38 AM

that's a bit of a shame - we have enough places to eat in the area to suit we middle class types already and a lot of "normal" pubs are closing down . I walk past the Chandos and it's always busy. I get the impression it's somewhere builders, plumbers etc can pop in for a pint on their way home.

Pippi

05-07-2016 02:34 PM

Yeah, and the kind of place where the punters who stand about smoking outside feel like they can regularly racially and sexually (verbally) abuse the passers-by. On the day of Brexit I witnessed a new low, two grown white men harassing a little 8-year-old Asian kid on his way home from school. It really shook me up Sad
I personally hate having to walk past the place every day. (Disclaimer: I am from a poor, working class, council estate background. I HATE having to have this nimby attitude! But there is NO excuse for that kind of behaviour, whoever you are, and frankly I feel suspicious of the sort of place that seems to attract a significant quota of racists and sexists.)

senorcalvo

05-07-2016 05:51 PM

Must say I am gutted about this. I am a semi-regular here and it is a great place. Friendly people and good for those in the trade to pick up some extra work.

It is such a shame that the old traditional pubs are closing down. Not everybody wants a gastro food and craft beer experience. Some jus pt want a few beers and a chat at reasonable prices.

I have no idea what my old man and his mates will do when this and the Weatherspoons go. They will be priced out of having a drink in the area they have lived all their lives. I find this incredibly sad.

milliemop

05-07-2016 07:39 PM

To be fair "the dos" as we know it has become a lost cause in my opinion - have never seen it packed - quite the opposite!!!!!! Change is needed badly!!!!!!

I feel for the old regulars who enjoy a pint at a decent price but open your eyes - this pub is a lost cause!!!!!!!

fazmandcc

06-07-2016 06:43 AM

Let's face it, the pub does absolutely nothing for the area and although a few might rue the demise of a 'true' boozer, the huge majority will celebrate and hope for far better things to come. Certainly, this end of the high St could do with a higher profile and the hop is crying out for a pub that is welcoming, well-presented, with decent beer and food - none of which have ever been provided by the Chandos - unless you drive a van.
Best news for the Hop since the Sainsbury! Controversial I know, and I love independents, but the high St has thrived and few could argue.

Hope for the same to happen in this parade.

Pippi

06-07-2016 07:58 AM

Senorcalvo, locally there's still the General Napier, the Bird in Hand, and let's not forget the greatest pub in the world, the Blythe Hill Tavern!!! Surely these are all down-to-earth traditional boozers with reasonable prices?
I'm so excited about this now, please don't tell me it's just gossip / a beautiful dream! Smile

No Longer Registered

06-07-2016 12:14 PM

I love pubs even the ones where all the locals give you the eye the first time you walk in with that "you're not from around here" look.

However, I am going to nail my colours to the mast here and say that the Chandos was possibly one of the most unpleasant pubs I have ever visited. Once was quite enough to see the lie of the land.

Given Pippi's comment it doesn't sound like much had changed. I look forward to checking out the new version and will raise a glass to the demise of the current.

Pippi

06-07-2016 12:39 PM

'I love pubs'

Seconded! Rofl

senorcalvo

06-07-2016 08:59 PM

I really do not understand some of the people's dislike of the Chandos on here. Their move to having bands on at the weekend was great and they often raised money for local charities.

Oh well, guess I will have to use the Nap now. Hopefully that won't be next in the gentrification/class cleansing of the local area.

Pippi

07-07-2016 08:12 AM

How do you 'not understand' the daily dread of a lone woman walking past this hellhole every single day wondering what kind of humiliating comment is going to be hurled at her today? How do you 'not understand' that a tiny kid was racially harrassed by two Chandos punters on the day of Brexit?

Seriously! I've never stepped inside the place, and maybe indoors it IS a shining beacon of loveliness. But the scuzzy smoking contingent outside sure do seem to go about ruining a LOT of people's day a LOT of the time. Which is not exactly a great indicator of a 'nice' or 'friendly' pub.

This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 08:15 AM by Pippi.

fazmandcc

07-07-2016 09:54 AM

I don't think wanting a friendly, local pub that caters to All the community needs to be put down to gentrification or a class issue. There are plenty of great pubs that offer something for everyone - but the Chandos does not get close, sadly. Otherwise it would reflect the local community and it doesn't! It is, in general, avoided by most!

It needs a better reputation, respond to changes in the demographic, and offer a better product that meets those needs. Simple, no, but the challenge for any business. If the new pub can do this it will benefit the wider community it should be serving and hopefully be a huge success.

Bangorben

08-07-2016 12:02 PM

From what I've heard (from someone who actually knows the new owners) – they have no intention of kicking out the Chandos regulars by pricing them out. That said, the new owners will obviously be making changes – many of which sound positive (wider selection of drinks, food, new decor) that even the most cynical would surely agree are positives. Let's not presume that all gentrification is automatically bad otherwise what hope have we for improving our communities…?

John Daker

08-07-2016 12:11 PM

In any case as several pubs have found its almost impossible to price out class.

Shiro

08-07-2016 09:04 PM

I've been told that the restaurant will be a pizzeria.

SE232008

09-07-2016 12:57 PM

I find some of the comments on here totally Un warranted. I drink in the Chandos. As a now local accepted by all in there and helping with the many charity event.

The dread of a single woman.... nonsense. You woman my self. Racism. Is some stiring the political spoon. I was in the pub after work day of bretix. No such thing happened. If it had, more fool you for not reporting it. Age range in this place is from 20's to 90's. The kind of place that would make sure the old men and women get across the street safely!!

It is a local pub for local people who watch the sports. There is never trouble... so I think some of you need to re think your comments and blatant lies.

I could do with a tidy up, but should remain for locals and the pensioners who live local.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields