SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Racist attacks on HOP restaurants
lillam

27-06-2016 11:09 PM

I have heard, third person, that Donde and possibly Hattush were bricked last night by racists in a post-Brexit anger (there have been other racists incidents across Lewisham this weekend).

Anyone know anything more??

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

28-06-2016 09:12 AM

There has been a lot of discussion about this on another site and the belief is that there were two attempted break-ins.
The post on facebook (shared over 900 times) that this was a racist attack is unlikely to have any validity.

lacb

28-06-2016 09:13 AM

It is pure speculation re the motive. There was a clumsy attempt at theft at Honor Oak Cafe (not Hattush). I suggest people interested read around the subject before getting too alarmist.

Londondrz

28-06-2016 09:17 AM

Please lets not spread this nonsense. There is no evidence that this is a racist attack at all. Two businesses were targeted by what looks like opportunistic thieves. If you were a racist intent on making a point would you kick out the lower pane of glass on a door or throw a brick through the very large plate glass window.

Come on people, sense of perspective.

I hope the police catch the idiot/s and I am dreadfully sorry for the businesses involved having to go to the expense of repairs and potential damage to their business.

Poppy9560

28-06-2016 12:27 PM

I'm sorry to hear local restaurants have been targeted like this - I don't often eat out but it's lovely having a diverse mix on the HOP Parade

Decker

29-06-2016 09:17 AM

I think I saw a shop in Forest Hill with the window smashed a month ago or so. It happens. I wouldn't say they are racially motivated unless proven so.

Londondrz

29-06-2016 10:45 AM

There have been a spate of opportunistic thefts in the local area. If you look in FH there are a number of posters put up by the local SNT about scooter thefts and thefts using scooters as well.

I would appeal to people to make really really sure any crime such as this has a direct racial implication before posting on here or any media.

We have already seen this incident spread by social media and by the likes of the Metro as racially motivated. The local police have confirmed it is not.

No Longer Registered

29-06-2016 12:49 PM

Growing up in Merrie England many years ago we used to live on the route home from the only pub in the village.

Every once in a while we would find something lobbed over the fence like a road sign or bin. We even had a brick through the window.

A lot of criminal behaviour is down to the effect of booze and drugs.

Londondrz

29-06-2016 03:58 PM

If only we had a like button on here. Thank you for that, as sad as it is to thank someone for pointing out random acts of stupidity.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields