SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Unofficial Southern train strike
Azira

13-06-2016 05:11 PM

I can't remember the last time my evening train wasn't cancelled, and it seems that less trains are scheduled at peak hour from London Bridge to HOP/FH in any event.

Is anyone aware of any organised lobbying about this?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Poppy9560

14-06-2016 12:38 PM

do you go LB to FH or HOP? I've not had much of problem-what time do you travel?

Londondrz

14-06-2016 12:39 PM

The morning run is usually just late but the evening service can be sketchy at times.

Londondrz

14-06-2016 02:51 PM

No trains from LB to FH due to lack of staff. The unions and drivers are taking the p***. We don't even have conductors. The station staff at LB are furious.

michael

14-06-2016 04:25 PM

That's weird because I'm currently on a train between London Bridge and new Cross gate. All seems fine at present.

Londondrz

14-06-2016 05:19 PM

Was not that way earlier, that will teach me for trying to go home early.

Azira

15-06-2016 08:12 PM

HOP. I've had problems anywhere from 5pm to 9pm.

Poppy9560

16-06-2016 09:21 AM

bah-after my post above the 1836 was cancelled last night Sad

Nick M

16-06-2016 02:11 PM

Having been a bit further afield in the last couple of weeks, as well as my daily communte, from observation the 'action' ususually happens at hub stations and places where conductors change over, so lots of problems at places like Horsham, Haywards Heath etc where the train gets so far, then stops because there is no replacement conductor and everyone gets tipped out on to the platform. Also on smaller lines with less frequent trains where a cancellation can cause greater inconvenience and disruption becasue the next train (if it is not already cancelled) is an hour later. The commuter run locally is not worth hitting in terms of impact as they can't create these effects, so our commutes are mostly OK. The tactic is partly to make the train wait at the platform for 20 mins, then announce there is no conductor, so everything behind it has got backed up, and no one is clear whether the train will run or not. They then tip everyone out and have to move the train out to a siding, all of which takes time (and further delay).

In my humble opinion, whatever the merits of the train crews' beef and the iniquity of the train opertaing company, any inductrial action which is based on a narrative of deceit and lying is not a good one. The law says we have a right to withdraw our labour legally and I think crews should take industrial action with integrity. But industrial action based on what is essentially lying is not a good course of action and does not set up a realtionshp with their customers that is a healthy one, going forward (as they say), they need us on ther side, not distrusting them.

m00ky

16-06-2016 05:57 PM

1805 from Caterham to London Bridge is getting cancelled or 'delayed' indefinitely most days. Or it leaves late and goes fast from East Croydon or Noorwood Junction to LBG.

It's a sick joke. It may cost me my job.

Organised striking is one thing - I can take note and plan (aka drive to work), but the train crew absenteeism, random cancellations and delays waste so much of my time.

Southern are now making announcements that we should wait for the next train since it 'isn't always possible to run replacement buses' - obviously my time has no value to them.

I guess I could claim a refund, but since I use oyster on the train, that is a major pain in the proverbial to claim. It's probably by design that they don't make it easy to claim compensation.

While I abhor the wildcat strikers and think they all deserve to lose their jobs, (please fire the f****rs already) Southern's owners should be held accountable too and heavily fined for failing to properly run critical infrastructure.

No surprise that with the footie today Southern services are suffering even more.

Sherwood

16-06-2016 06:12 PM

The MP for Hove (Mr Kyle) is organising other MPs into a Committee.

mrwandle

17-06-2016 10:13 AM

There's an official strike Tues 21st June (England play late Monday night, coincidence?), probably won't be much different from the service all this week.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Southern rail strike Sandpiper 23 21,651 01-12-2016 11:13 AM
Last Post: rbmartin