SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Bampton Estate redevelopment
Kat.Standlake.Point

04-07-2017 05:52 AM

Pros and cons of the new development (something to think about):

PROs:
More new homes
Homes for elderly people (LH officer said the new building will be for elderly people)
Possibility(but not a guarantee) of new play facilities for children
Possibility(not a guarantee) of health facility for adults (like gym for example)

CONs
- Trees and grass land go away
- Half of the space around Standlake Point goes
- Concrete and brick comes instead
- Play ground for children goes away
- Grass area for picnics goes away
- LH says, the building is for elderly people, but there is no guarantee that in 10-20 years time Lewisham Council will not bring any tenants or even sell the building
- the new building is planned for 40-50 new homes (Standlake, Radcot and Newbridge have 40 households each), therefore the new building will be either high (not sure how to house elderly people in a high building) as the rest of them or streatched along the available space.
- residents on the west side of Standlake will loose a nice view outside of their windows
- short distance between buildings will cause residents watch each other through the windows
- loosing playground may lead to children moving further from home to play where patents are not able to supervise
- more people, more cars, more crowd
- higher demand for limited parking space
- children causing disturbance to elderly people, as a result, more complaints and parental reprimands
- possibility of rising anti-social behaviour
- possibility that value of properties will go down for leadeholders

This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 05:56 AM by Kat.Standlake.Point.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kat.Standlake.Point

04-07-2017 06:06 AM

One more CON:

- laying new foundation for the new building will cause land disturbance which may lead to structural damage of the Standlake block

wynell

04-07-2017 08:51 AM

On a very basic level the outside space if allocated to each of the 120 flats is very small. To reduce this further and possibly remove the ball park as well as mature trees would constitute gross over development. Something that has been mentioned several times by Lewisham Planning in consideration of other planning applications.

Whilst the need for extra housing is important, detracting from the environment that people enjoy and keeps children entertained is a retrograde step. In the long term it will cause social unrest and will create additional problems of bored youths seeking amusement.

Sophiebabe

05-07-2017 03:03 PM

These are the plans they are looking at....

I don't know if people read the FOI posting I did previously. There was a survey report commissioned by Lewhisham Homes back in 2012 on all the points. The survey highlights a number of items regarding the structure of the points and gives the remaining life against it's maximum life expectancy.

The issue with this report is that the surveyor believed the flats were built in 1980. Which is wrong.... they were built in 1966. The concern is that the concrete balconies of the point only have 9 years life expectancy left in them. As the balconies are a major integral part of the points, does that mean 9 years is the end of life to the points anyway?

This is the survey in question....

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/3...Survey.pdf

As for the foundations of Standlake. There are already growing cracks in several flats in the South East corner of Standlake Point due to the very close vicinity of two 60 foot trees and their root damage to the block..... again due to Lewisham Homes failing to maintain the foliage.

Kat.Standlake.Point

05-07-2017 05:37 PM

Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely look into it as it is a question of the safety of our homes and also the strong point to bring to the meeting with the development team tomorrow. I am fairly new and probably missed the FOI thread.

Few years ago there were debates by Lewisham Council to take down the points but then i got a letter from them saying the demolition would not go ahead and the points would remain. I happily assumed that the lifespan is good enough to keep them and never questioned. But now i will.

Regarding the trees, until October last year Lewisham Council was responsible for the ground maintanance around these blocks. Lewisham Homes took over from October, so it was the council responsibility to maintain the trees but it obviousely did not. Has somebody questioned them why as their inaction put residents life at risk?

May i please ask you, are you a leaseholder in one of these blocks?

This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 05:40 PM by Kat.Standlake.Point.

BamptonRoad

06-07-2017 03:25 PM

Made sure I took a look at the ball court site this morning. There are a lot of mature trees that are not included in that plan. Possibly eight. I'm not an expert but loss of trees may be a reason to challenge this, along with the others.

Looks like significant overdevelopment to me. The new housing at Longfield Crescent is an even tighter site though. There aren't any obvious sites nearby. Perhaps the population is just growing too much?

Kat.Standlake.Point

06-07-2017 04:37 PM

The investment officer of Lewisham Homes said that if the majority of residents will say NO to the proposal, the project will NOT go ahead. We all need to come out and say our opinion today between 4pm and 7pm.

wynell

07-07-2017 01:17 PM

If you are lookng for a site that could accommodate building new homes then what about the deserted Brent Knoll school site in Mayow Road?
Lsst time i passed it seemed to be used for rubbish dumping

Perryman

11-11-2020 05:27 PM

It has started.
They are clearing the fields behind Witney path, for new play courts, and by the looks of the red tape, bringing down 2 mature trees by Perry Vale that must be over 100 years old.

Well at least everyone will get a better view of the new appalling graffiti 'art' on the back of the Bampton residents association hall.

Perryman

28-03-2023 11:44 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0...ur-housing

The whole of panorama was dedicated to the problems of Bampton estate this evening, if anyone is interested.
Mold, leaks, extortionate repair bills, slum landlords and Thatcherism are the themes. Enjoy.

This post was last modified: 28-03-2023 11:46 PM by Perryman.

bigmacca1

29-03-2023 06:46 PM

I watched it. Bloody terrible Thatcher sells off houses that eventually end up in the hands of Rachman type owners who fill them up with people getting there extortionate rent paid by the Lewisham council , Brilliant ??

Anotherjohn

31-03-2023 07:43 AM

" houses that eventually end up in the hands of Rachman type owners who fill them up with people getting there extortionate rent paid by the Lewisham council "

Well it gets even more brilliant (NOT!!!) than that.

Because a few years ago, Lewisham council was giving landlords a grant of £15,000 per unit to bring rental properties onto the market - so, potentially, the hideous conversion of just one these houses containing 6 units each could have put £90,000 the landlord's way even before he started raching-in (raking-in a-la Rachmann) that ridiculous £69,120 per annum!

Although there didn't seem to be any evidence of anti social behaviour emanating from those 3 6-bedders, which would probably have been converted under Permitted Development, thankfully, IMO, Lewisham is bringing in a new rule whereby these HMOs (Houses in Multiple Occupation) will need full Planning Permission, which will be refused if it's likely that neighbouring amenity will be adversely affected.

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Consultation on potential new homes on Bampton estate Lewisham Homes 0 3,742 13-12-2017 04:26 PM
Last Post: Lewisham Homes