SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Bampton Estate redevelopment
Sophiebabe

18-02-2017 04:21 PM

I believe it's the trees that are causing some of the issues with the points as they are so close to the blocks. Some people I have spoke to people that said they have cracks running and meeting between rooms. Also the lift lobby in Radcot has blown. It looks like something has lifted them which looks quite worrying.

I cannot remember any of the trees having any maintenance on the estate. There are several branches touching the windows of the flats. I was in contact with the Forestry Commision regarding the large number of dead branches on the trees. They claim it's a natural die back and nothing to worry about, but they should be removed as they could fall any time. There are a few trees with dead branches that have snapped away from the main tree still hanging in the trees. No one is interested when you tell them though....

Also under the FOI there are exemptions to the disclosure of information.https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisatio..._03_08.pdf

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wynell

19-02-2017 05:22 AM

Was not aware the trees were causing problems? Not sure if the residents association has got going yet but would be the ideal way to notify the council that trees needed some work.
I had problem with a neighbouring local authority tree and after requesting a confirmation that any damage or injury caused by the tree branches falling would be accepted by the Council work was completed within a Week! Simple polite letter expressing concern and assumption that the authority by their inaction were happy there was no risk to person or property and would therefore be able to provide written assurances.
All that said would be a shame to lose the trees as the amount of trees was what I found so attractive in the area.

Sophiebabe

21-02-2017 12:14 PM

I've also found this.... not sure this was disclosed on the FOI

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/d...090316.pdf

wynell

21-02-2017 01:51 PM

So the big build for Bampton sites 1-3 will be 2018? Just need to know where sites1-3 are? Suppose if site 4 is due soon one may be able to deduce locations. I often check the Planning portal but nothing found so far.

Still had no notice of any major works required at Standlake Point and no info on the supposed residents association, I must say surprised at the low number of tenants that have chosen right to buy seems like a no brainer to me but I suppose getting a loan is difficult not sure if the help to buy is available in these cases?

Thanks Sophie your investigations are enlightening.

Perryman

21-02-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:
I've also found this.... not sure this was disclosed on the FOI

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/d...090316.pdf

Am I reading the Appendices right?

45 new homes/flats are about to be built on site 4 (where ever that is) Mar 17.
Then next april 2018 an extra(?) 220 new homes will be created as part of a major redevelopment.

And yet no plans have been released.

Sophiebabe

21-02-2017 03:59 PM

I also seem to remember that in around 2013, one of the residents showed me a document with the change in boundary lines on the estate. Some of which intersected through the Points. Hence my interests in looking deeper into this matter.

Sophiebabe

22-02-2017 06:57 AM

Quote:
I must say surprised at the low number of tenants that have chosen right to buy seems like a no brainer to me but I suppose getting a loan is difficult not sure if the help to buy is available in these cases?

People in the Points have tried to get a mortgage for the Right To Buy, but no one will lend money against the properties for some reason, even at the heavy discount on offer. A mortgage against any other property was ok, just not the Points Sad

This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 06:58 AM by Sophiebabe.

BamptonRoad

22-02-2017 03:14 PM

It has always been very difficult to get a mortgage on ex-council high rise flats. Lenders see them as a risk. Anything over 6 stories is difficult. If I was a lender I would be concerned about the possibility of very large refurbishment payments. Have a look at the following article, especially under the "...and troubles with ex-local authority blocks" heading. It mentions four lenders that do offer loans.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortg...homes.html

wynell

22-02-2017 03:45 PM

Looks positive at least some lenders are out there.
I would have thought with RTB discounts and help to buy the exposure for a lender would be safe? If you get a discounted price then should repossession have to be undertaken the 'price' is already below market level. Unless I have it wrong the total cost of a flat in the points would be below the market value so if sold at a discount to recoup a debt the lender would be more than Covered?
I am not an expert but seems to make sense to me with 2 bed flats in the area going for 300-400k even the supposed reduction due to ex local authority stigma should make for good investment. I know the last one sold at auction last year went for 185k and that needed total refurbishment new bathroom kitchen, rewiring, central heating ,new doors and some plastering.

Sophiebabe

01-03-2017 10:01 AM

A more recent document that also mentions about work to be carried out in Spring 2018 on Bampton Estate. Pages 7 and 22 refer to Bampton and Shiffold Estate. But £300k budget???

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/mayorandcounc...rt2016.pdf

Sophiebabe

12-03-2017 08:44 AM

Someone trying to exit from Standlake...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-...35321.html

With the current building work at Witney and Shifford, i'm not sure what is going to happen next year with this 'redevelopment'.

Perryman

13-03-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:
With the current building work at Witney and Shifford...

What is this work? I assumed it was to replace the windows.

Sophiebabe

14-03-2017 05:12 PM

According to the caretaker they are removing asbestos and fitting double glazing.

Also a neighbour text me to say someone with a clipboard was measuring up and taking pictures of the old garages at the end of Windrush this afternoon.

Perryman

15-03-2017 04:45 PM

Thanks.

wynell

24-03-2017 11:51 AM

I have heard second hand that LQ are no longer looking at redevelopment but will be updating and repairing houses in Shifford and Witney Paths?

Not sure if this is the case supposed to have issued letters to tenants but cannot confirm as yet.

bimonscificon

28-03-2017 08:10 AM

I'm a resident on Shifford and Witney. Can happily confirm that L&Q have sent a letter to tenants and residents saying that they will no longer be exploring the redevelopment option. They are doing quite a bit of work to improve the appearance of the estate.

This is an enormous relief to those who live on the estate, especially as so many of us have children in local schools, friends and relatives close by, and work nearby. It's also good news for freeholders who want to make improvements to their homes (and in my case, very good news for the Bell Green B&Q).

And, of course, good news for the trees as well Thumbup

Can clear up a few other bits from this thread:
- For a number of years (not sure how many) the council have had nothing to do with Shifford and Witney -- as these were handed over to L&Q in a stock transfer a while back. The rest of the Bampton Estate is Lewisham Homes (again, another housing association, not the council).

- Not sure whether there is a residents association for the rest of Bampton (as Wynell suggests there may be) but we do have one for Shifford, Witney and Mayow and regularly meet with L&Q and the council.

- the repairs that are currently being carried out on the L&Q homes are the windows, doors and sofits (plastic bits around the roof).

Hope this is helpful

Kat.Standlake.Point

21-05-2017 08:54 AM

Still had no notice of any major works required at Standlake Point and no info on the supposed residents association"

Good evening all, I would like to say that Bampton Tenants&Residents Association has been formed. I am one of the active members and also a block representative for Standlake Point. We are a very young organisation but very ambitious and keen to improve living conditions in our blocks and on our estate. We have 3 block representatives and we stay in close contact with the head of TRA who also stays in touch with Lewisham Homes' managers. I have emailed her letting her know about this forum. We are inviting all residents of Bampton estate to participate in TRA activities and also all residents of SE23 are welcome to get in touch with us. Please use this email address to communicate: bamptonTRA@outlook.com

Kat

Sophiebabe

30-06-2017 03:22 PM

This was brought to my attention and I thought people may also be interested in it....

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/b...bsidence_2

wynell

30-06-2017 07:15 PM

Meeting on 6th July 4-7pm in centre of the Points to discuss and present future development of flats on the ball park area.
Also Residents association will be on hand to discuss changes to parking and general updates etc.
Watch out for posters etc.

Kat.Standlake.Point

04-07-2017 05:12 AM

We had a meeting on 29th of June - Bampton T&RA, Lewisham Homes and Bampton residents. There was a Lewisham Homes community investment officer present as well. She was talking about new development on the ball court of Bampton estate. I did ask her a question: if majority of residents would not want anything built there then what would be the outcome. She said that in this case the project of building new homes will NOT go ahead. She said that nothing had been decided and the meeting on the 6th of July would be for residents to speak thier opinions and for another side to listen.

They will obviousely be pushing for new building but if majority of us clearly say NO to this, it won't go ahead.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Consultation on potential new homes on Bampton estate Lewisham Homes 0 3,741 13-12-2017 04:26 PM
Last Post: Lewisham Homes