SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lawful Development Certs for new extension work
roz

02-11-2008 01:06 PM

I would appreciate some advice however I think I know the answer to my own question already!

Someone close to where I live appears to have started some major work on a dormer extension ( projects the existing building by more the permitted range) and raising the gable of their roof whilst a Certificate of Lawful Development is still pending. Is this permitted, or does it constitute a breach of planning.?

It also appears that what they area doing would qualify as requiring full planning permission as the alterations to the roof line can be seen from the public highway. There has been no consultation which has been surprising due to the size of the dormer. In addition the builders practices are less than satisfactory from what I have seen - no hard hats to be seen, no debris netting, and no health and safety procedures- I doubt whether its acceptable to throw things off rooves into skips nor to use a public pavement as a building site.

I would be grateful if anyone has any comments. What I suspect has happened is that some unwitting house owner has put everything in the hands of the builders - a reasonably well known loft conversion firm- who have misinformed them of policy and procedure in order to get the work. No surprises there. We were a victim of this a few years ago in relation to building control but are now a lot wiser!

Any comments or views appreciated.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ciej

02-11-2008 05:18 PM

Roz

What has prompted for your question? Does the development have an adverse impact on you?

baggydave

02-11-2008 05:30 PM

As far as I am aware one would need planning permission to raise the height of the roof. Not sure whether there is any leeway. Give Lewisham Planning a call. They may know this. Otherwise the various local societies will have contacts with some knowledge of planning law. You'll also probably find out some background on Google. An interesting fact is that the planning department should be working on your behalf as much as the person having the work done.

If PP is needed but not obtained, it will be up to Lewisham whether it is in the public interest to do anything about it.

Interested if others know better on this matter.

roz

02-11-2008 05:33 PM

Hi - yes it does have an impact on our property from an aesthetic and privacy point of view and it is also very much out of proportion of similar extensions in the immediate area.

The extent of the projection of the extremely large dormer with extremely large windows is very intrusive for me and a number of others. I am very surprised that this has not warranted consultation. To the best of my knowledge the rules of permitted development rights are quite strict and I doubt if this falls within them.
I am not aware of an application for a Lawful Development Certificate being appropriate immediatley in advance of major construction and where the works are commenced before a decision is made. It does not make sense and seems that the owner is taking on quite a risk of subsequent enforcement action unecessarily.

baggydave

02-11-2008 11:25 PM

From looking at other posts you will not be surprised to know that BD has a few issues with Lewisham Planning Department. This cuts both ways in that there may be times when they are over-restrictive. Of course I don't have a planning or architectural background so one is at a disadvantage compared to a professional planning department. No doubt our paths will cross Roz.

And to get a sense of balance this is not NIMBYism - the majority of posts on planning issues appear to be genuine concerns. Yes two sides to every story and it is good to challenge our moral high ground!

Triangle

03-11-2008 10:24 AM

Roz,

I recently read that there were going to be some changes introduced regarding planning permission.

I'm not sure if they're active yet but I recall that they would allow residents to undertake certain work without planning permission. I believe the changes included building a first floor extension up to a certain size and also extending the roof line a small amount.

However, I agree with BD. I think you should contact the planning department before the work becomes too advanced and establish whether it requires planning permission.

Depending on how advanced it is, if they haven't got permission and it requires them to to so, they might well go for retrospective.

Best of luck.

roz

29-11-2008 01:02 PM

I think that given the recent changes to permitted development rights, it may be an opportune time to consider applying for certain areas to be conservation areas in order to prevent eyesores being constructed as part of these rights. This is the only way as I see for residents to be able to influence what is constructed.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields