SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
The rise of young female drinkers - not
Tim Lund

19-04-2016 08:36 PM

Interesting stories on successive sheets in today's Standard.

On page 7

University Challenge winners: Victorious Peterhouse team pose with bottles of booze after raiding college bar

turning the page

The rise of the young female drinkers who open a bottle at wine o’clock each night

Meanwhile, in the real world, as reported by the Institute of Alcohol Studies

Drinking patterns and trends, Average weekly alcohol consumption by age and sex

it can be seen that excessive alcohol consumption is actually declining, especially among the young.

Just rubbish journalism, really.

BTW, if anyone wonders why excessive alcohol consumption is declining especially among the young, there's a simple economic explanation - they have less disposable income, thanks to the excessive amounts they have to pay for housing. So no need for the middle aged, like me, to fear the younger generation is somehow more virtuous than mine.

This post was last modified: 19-04-2016 08:39 PM by Tim Lund.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PVP

20-04-2016 07:11 AM

Great research. How journalists can claim something when the opposite is true is really just lazy. I do not think the cause is just down to rent etc. When I was at uni people going out was a priority so any spare money went on the pub. Now priorities have changed - it seems the focus is more on looking good, expensive clothes, eating out, etc. There are various theories for this, my favourite is how they have been influenced by social media into projecting how wonderful their life is, whereas before if you did not go to a pub / club / common room life would have been quite dull.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields