SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (5): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
How to stop Jehova's Witnesses?
Ooperlooper

09-11-2007 12:00 AM

Jehova's Witnesses keep knocking on our door.

Although I think they're not just idiots, they actually dangerous idiots because they pro-actively go out to corrupt vulnerable people, filling their heads with hocus pocus and jibberish, I usually politely tell them that they're barking up the wrong tree and just shut the door.

But new ones keep coming back, time and time again.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting rid of them once and for all (other than by joining them - not a very viable option)?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

09-11-2007 08:19 AM

I assume you mean stop JW's calling at your door rather than 'getting rid', so to speak.

One suggestion may be to invite them in to your house for a discussion and encourage them to stay for some time. That way they won't be able to get round many more people that day and if you happen to behave a little oddly at the same time you might build up a reputation and hence they will never bother you again.

Last time our cat went missing we gave them a bunch of leaflets to deliver, door to door. They've not been back. Our cat turned up, though.

RussB

09-11-2007 09:46 AM

Tell them that you used to be a JW but you left or were disfellowshipped - that way, by their own rules, they have to shun you, and so can't keep coming 'round and bothering you.

PVP

09-11-2007 10:04 AM

A friend told them he was Muslim; out came the book of answers and 'what to do if someone says...'

Strangely enough, there was no answer! The rep left in much confusion. Maybe JW only target certain groups?

Dotcom

09-11-2007 10:31 AM

They were at my door one day and I opened the window and called out (in a slightly irritated tone) 'I'm catholic' and they scuttled away quite sharpish. I felt quite pleased with myself.

Sherwood

09-11-2007 01:24 PM

A Jehovah's Witness told me that you can register with them not to be contacted again! I think you have to contact the local church.

robwinton

09-11-2007 01:29 PM

Heh! Sounds like the spammer's reply: "Please click here to unsubscribe"

"Please come to our local church so we can discuss why it is you want to be removed from the list of people we are trying to save."
"erm ... I'm a Catholic Muslim! Have you seen my cat?"

shzl400

09-11-2007 01:38 PM

An ex-boyfriend of mine invited them in for a cup of tea and a discussion on the merits of devil worship (believe me, he looked the type) - they made their excuses and left, never to return...

I'm not sure if all the god-botherers we get in FH are Jehovah's witnesses, but the new evangelical mainly black churches.

davidl

09-11-2007 02:25 PM

I have to admit that it doesn't happen often enough to particularly bother me. Tend to just answer the door and politely tell them that I'm not interested. No offence seems to be caused, and I can't say it's ever a blight on my day.

I grew up near a Mormon temple, though, and being visited by their missionaries was like having CID knock on the door.

RussB

09-11-2007 02:28 PM

Evangelicals are much easier to deal with than your JW or Catholics. Evangelicals have that whole 'bible is literal word of god' thing going against them, along with the belief that the old testament's covenant still applies to them. It's too easy to ridicule them off your property...

kingkong

09-11-2007 04:42 PM

Pretend you can't speak English, that works quite well.

Another one I've tried, when I answered the door at around 11am on a Sat morning;

"Its my wife's birthday today and I'm just making her breakfast in bed, so I can't really talk, I'm sorry", worked really well and I got a chorus of "aaaahhhhh's" from the two ladies.

Ooperlooper

09-11-2007 08:21 PM

I tried "I don't speak Japanese" when I was visited by Japanese Jehova's Witnesses in Japan and they came back with copies of Watchtower in English.

I don't fancy inviting them in. What could be more boring than talking to these people?...

"Why do you believe in god?"
"Because god told me to in the Bible."
"What makes you think the Bible is the word of god?"
"The Bible says so."
"That's stupid."
"No. It's faith."
"No. It's stupid."
"God moves in mysterious ways."
"You mean like in Genesis, 19, where two angels come to visit a bloke called Lot; the men of the village ask Lot to hand them over so they can rape them; Lot refuses but offers to let them rape his teenage daughters instead; the villagers refuse, so the angels blind some of them; God is displeased (because the angels are male and he only approves of females being raped, not males) so he decides to slaughter everyone in the village in a giant fireball; the angels encourage Lot and his family to run away, which they do, but when Lot's wife disobeys the angels' instructions to not look back while the village is turned to ashes, God kills her, turning her into a pillar of salt?"
"Yes, that's right."
"Right, I think it's time I cut your hand off with this meat cleaver."
"You what?"
"It's all right. God told me to do it. He moves in mysterious ways, you know."
"Oh, okay, well if God told you to do it then it must be good. Hack away..."

Yawn...that would bore me to tears.

baggydave

09-11-2007 10:10 PM

But they have done a nice job in doing up their temple (or whatever it is called) in David's Road, they dress smart and are always so polite.

BD considers this pub talk, rather non-inclusive, offensive to some and probably inappropriate for this site.

BT

10-11-2007 08:50 AM

I had similar problems with Jehovas Witnesses some years ago. They always turned up around lunchtime on Sundays. I used to see them gathering outside and being given their assigments. They HAVE to take part in the doorstepping as part of their commitment. If you want to enter a discussion, question the fact that they are being forced to do the doorstepping. If they have children with them, make a point of asking the child what they had for their birthday, as they don't allow the celebration of birthdays. They will soon go away.

There was a young woman who died this week after refusing a Blood transfusion after childbirth, as she had been forced to believe a twisted interpretation of a bit of the Bible.

There is some very interesting information here:-
http://www.gotquestions.org/Jehovahs-Witnesses.html

roz

10-11-2007 10:07 AM

This is interesting info. Scary though. I've just remembered years ago when I was a student some elderly JW's knocking on my door late one evening to warn me of the dangers of blood transfusions particularly AIDS.

Having been through a lot of 'religion' when younger it only served to make me an atheist. It doesn't matter how much instruction/immersion you have, you either decide to believe in something without question, or not. However you do need to be comfortable in being the odd one out as a lot of people will succumb to peer pressure and groupthink. Personally I found the cultural and social aspect of church things interesting as a child but now although I respect people's choices and faith, I just find religion inherently dangerous, with the exception of Quakers who do excellent work. You can have morals and spirituality without any of it; society will not break down as a result.

baggydave

10-11-2007 04:49 PM

Why are we using this site to have a go at a few misguided folk? If we wanted to talk about extreme groups lets do the Christian right in the US and bring in freemasons whilst we are at it. Gives me an idea for a new thread - how to stop neo-cons, or how to stop people pulling up there trouser legs and giving you dodgy hand shakes.

I gave blood in the masonic temple once (nowt to do with JW's I hasten to add), you can then have a beer afterwards in the Piller of Hercules which is where masons gather.

roz

10-11-2007 05:33 PM

baggydave wrote:
Why are we using this site to have a go at a few misguided folk? If we wanted to talk about extreme groups lets do the Christian right in the US and bring in freemasons whilst we are at it. Gives me an idea for a new thread - how to stop neo-cons, or how to stop people pulling up there trouser legs and giving you dodgy hand shakes.

I gave blood in the masonic temple once (nowt to do with JW's I hasten to add), you can then have a beer afterwards in the Piller of Hercules which is where masons gather.

BD, we ARE the misguided folk. Just as well you are back to put us all back on the path to righteousness.

RussB

10-11-2007 10:05 PM

baggydave wrote:
Why are we using this site to have a go at a few misguided folk?

We're not. We'd just prefer if they didn't pop 'round uninvited to drone on about their imaginary friend.

baggydave

10-11-2007 11:03 PM

OK then so fine to have a go at p***y's, Big Issue sellers, guys who knock on the door selling sponges, buskers...etc etc (ps don't use the word Pikeys myself as appears a little xenophobic to me). Gosh perhaps we may even descend into some decent debate....

Anyone call a film "the Life of Ruth" all a bit too real.... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056181/

RussB

11-11-2007 12:49 PM

baggydave, you're a hard one to figure out. For the benefit of the many newbies to this forum who don't know you or any forum history, could you let us know whether you're saying that we shouldn't be talking about this sort of thing on the forum, or if you're saying you'd like to see a proper debate about such things allowed on the forum?

Pages (5): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields