SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
How to stop Jehova's Witnesses?
RussB

30-11-2007 12:40 AM

roz wrote:
Just watched Channel 4 news and the bit about Christine Odone's speech being banned from some Commonwealth church service in case it offends non believers. If anyones clever enough to post a link to it then it would be good as its relevant to this thread.

Having listened to her speech I can honestly say I find nothing offensive about her argument, ie that people with faith find themselves being ostracised when they demonstrate this by wearing a hijab/ a cross etc and equal opps seems not to apply to Christians. These are fair points. I find it offensive that people think I will be offended. I find it offensive that people worry about offending others if they express their views. Express away, as long as its not on my doorstep and I can reach for the ' off button' if I don't like it, but it is your right ;thankfully we don't live in a country where naming a teddy can land you a custodial sentence.

If non believers choose to attend a church service, they will expect to hear about God- it is hardly going to be a shock. I intend to drag myself to the Horniman Carol service next week as I love the atmosphere, music, and community spirit, and will somehow try to cope with the added side issues of God and Jesus.

I think this is the one:
http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/so...ng/1119662

As one of the atheists I think she's referring to, I'd like to say I don't want to see shows of religious affiliation banned, merely that I don't want to see religion used as excuse to get exceptions from the law. If jewelery is banned in a school, why should crosses be given a special exemption? If it's against the law to discriminate against gay people, why should the Catholic church get an exemption?

Having said that, there's no need to have rules or laws that needlessly persecute the religious, but the option must be available to all it's made available to any one group. It's quite right that parents or pupils can ask for school rules to be changed in a reasonable way, but if a school allows something like the wearing of Christian rings, then everyone must be able to wear rings.

I not sure why the church self-censored this. I don't agree with what she's saying, but I don't see any reason why she shouldn't be allowed to say it. (hat tip to Voltaire there...)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 09-11-2007, 08:19 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - PVP - 09-11-2007, 10:04 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - BT - 10-11-2007, 08:50 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 10-11-2007, 05:33 PM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 24-11-2007, 11:06 PM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 25-11-2007, 12:15 PM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 27-11-2007, 08:07 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 27-11-2007, 07:59 PM