SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
How to stop Jehova's Witnesses?
RussB

25-11-2007 08:13 PM

michael wrote:
I don't think Jehova's Witnesses are unique in a belief that their God will punish non-believers.

Very true - most religions are based on the bigoted belief that its god is right, and anyone not believing it will be punished by its god.

michael wrote:
I dislike people knocking on my door to discuss religion and generally dislike evangelising. What I find worse is that every state school in the country (with a few exceptions for specifically Jewish schools) has to have acts of Christian worship because that is the majority religion in the country. I would prefer people knocking on my door and leaving, to my children being indoctrinated daily in school. If I want my children indoctrinated I shall arrange it for myself.

It's worse than that really. Christianity isn't just the majority religion, it's the official religion of the state. So the state forces all children to be indoctrinated with its own religion, complete with the self-serving doctrine of the divine right of kings.

michael wrote:
The singling out of any religion and describing them as 'dangerous idiots' is offensive to me

Why are you offended when a specific religion is singled out for its beliefs? Is your point that Ooperlooper should have pointed out that all religions take advantage of vulnerable people? Or are you saying that any criticism of any religion is inherently offensive to you?

JWs, and other evangelising types, are bound to get more attention than other people of faith as they're the ones shoving it down our throats! Perhaps if they'd like to be treated better they should consider treating others like they'd like to be treated themselves...

michael wrote:
(not to mention the title of this thread).

The title can only be offensive if taken alone, out of context. Ooperlooper made it very clear in his post that he was asking for ways to stop them repeatedly calling at his door. Maybe he could have appended 'calling' to his title to make things more clear, but to anyone who took the time to read the post it should be clear what was being asked and that no offense was intended.

michael wrote:
We should tolerate religious criticism, but we must also tolerate other peoples' religions, too often people feel they have the right to do the former without the duty of the latter.

Why should we tolerate bigotry and any other unacceptable behaviour just because it's labeled a religion? If I turn up at your house at teatime and say that unless you agree with me in all areas someone I know is going to come 'round and kill you and your family, it wouldn't (and clearly shouldn't) be tolerated. Yet if you stick a religious label on it we all have to respect and tolerate it!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 09-11-2007, 09:19 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - PVP - 09-11-2007, 11:04 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - BT - 10-11-2007, 09:50 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 10-11-2007, 11:07 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 10-11-2007, 06:33 PM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 25-11-2007, 12:06 AM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 25-11-2007, 01:15 PM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - RussB - 25-11-2007 08:13 PM
RE: How to stop Jehova's Witnesses? - roz - 27-11-2007, 09:07 AM