SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Artic Lorries getting stuck on residential roads
honoroak

15-04-2016 11:08 AM

Yesterday afternoon (14/04/16) another Artic lorry got stuck on Whatman road trying to turn onto Garthorne road to access Malham industrial estate. He was following his satnav rather than continuing down Brockley road to the south circular to gain access.

He hit a tree and a car which got pulled into the road by the trailer.

Traffic police had to help him turn round and get back onto Brockely rise which took about an hour.

This is a regular occurrence, I think we need some signs at the bottom of whatman, Agnew & Ackroyd road informing the Artic lorry drivers the roads aren't suitable for them.

I had some sympathy for him as he was just following his satnav so maybe some signs to help them avoid getting stuck would be good, and it would be great not find our cars getting damaged all the time by them doing a 15 point turn when getting stuck.

I have no idea how to get some signs up or if this will help
but worth a try, I spoke to someone at Lewisham council who logged my call and will pass it onto Highway maintenance.

If anyone has anything to add this the reference is 911006.

Highway Maintenance GroupLondon Borough Of Lewisham
Laurence House
1 Catford Road
SE6 4RU
Tel:
020 8314 7171

Email:
highways@lewisham.gov.uk

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

This post was last modified: 15-04-2016 11:14 AM by honoroak.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mr_Numbers

18-04-2016 09:20 AM

Flippin' 'eck! Nightmare!

But seriously - it's about time the satnav industry started producing HGV-friendly satnavs - that allow for things like residential roads, corners that are too tight for long or articulated vehicles and railway bridges and tunnels that aren't high enough to let the vehicles through.

honoroak

18-04-2016 09:48 AM

Yes it does seem a sensible thing to do, there's probably something already on them to stick to A roads or something. It happens a lot.

honoroak

18-04-2016 09:51 AM

I received this reply from Transport so hopefully they'll put up some signs, at lest it's logged until the next incident is brought to their attention.

Thank you for your email and photographs.

The engineers will add your concerns to our Small Traffic Schemes List. This list contains requests for small traffic schemes from ward members and members of the public from all over the borough. Each year these schemes are assessed and those where there is a viable solution are prioritised and taken forward as funding allows.

We will look at installing signs along Brockley Rise to discourage lorries trying to take this route.

I hope this is helpful.

regards

Imogen Payami

Transport

4th Floor Laurence House

Catford

London SE6 4RU

Londondrz

18-04-2016 10:30 AM

Most trucks have truck only sat navs which wont allow them to go under low bridges, down narrow lanes etc. They cant factor in the human element though.

honoroak

19-04-2016 09:45 AM

Oh ok thanks, looks like good old fashioned signs are the answer.
fingers crossed.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields