SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Dog Attack 05/02
Snazy

09-05-2016 11:36 AM

Just to have my say on this matter.
Given that not everyone likes dogs, and how many people of different ages and vulnerabilities we pass on our walks, mine stay on lead at ALL times.
I know my dogs well, and know what to expect from them, but their moods change quickly, and an off lead dog can cause some scary reactions.
Even on lead I have had adults run out in front of buses to avoid mine, a child collapse in terror and start screaming, people regularly cross the road to not to pass them (dogs are ALWAYS on my inside against a wall etc)
I can't begin to imagine how much worse these situations could have been if the dogs were off lead.

In short, dogs belong on a lead, unless being exercised in an area away from other people who may come into contact with the dogs against their (humans) will.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

09-05-2016 11:52 AM

Pico - Here's my question - how is that dog behaving? If he's just calmly walking with his owner, there's probably nothing to worry about. And why do you describe the owner as 'sketchy and aggressive'? Is HE behaving aggressively? These are genuine questions, because you don't say in your post.

Before I got my dog, I might have crossed the street too. But my doofus spaniel puppy will say hello to any dog (luckily he's smart enough to be submissive first) so I've ended up talking to owners I would previously have thought 'sketchy' only to discover my prejudice entirely unfounded. And to find the scariest looking dogs are often the gentlest souls. Meanwhile, the only time my dog got properly attacked (and bitten) was by a cute little beagle.

Having said all that. I absolutely agree with Snazy that dogs belong on the lead while on the street. Unpredictable things happen, and the best trained dogs can react in unexpected ways in extreme circumstances.

This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 11:54 AM by rshdunlop.

Pico
No longer registered

09-05-2016 04:08 PM

to be honest I don't feel like I need to qualify my feelings on this matter. If some of you feel comfortable with big dogs off leads on pavements that's ok with me. I do not. I need to get to know the dog and owner before I can be sure I can trust a big dog. I can't decide within seconds of seeing a random stranger with his massive dog.

Londondrz

09-05-2016 05:27 PM

Having been brought up with both Doberman and Sausage dogs I learnt a few valuable lessons with dogs, never be afraid of them and stay away from the bighty end.

Mr_Numbers

09-05-2016 09:22 PM

Meanwhile on a lighter note,...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o

Londondrz

10-05-2016 08:45 AM

Mr Numbers, I thank you. Big smile on my face!! Thumbsup

Snazy

10-05-2016 11:00 AM

Totally get that Pico, and hope my post supported your feelings on the matter. Hence the always under physical control rule for me.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields