SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Dog Attack 05/02
sneezing7

11-04-2016 11:12 AM

Hello

Our dog and the person walking him, was attacked by a large dog not a lead on the 05/02. Corner of Sunderland & South Circular (Waldram?) around 19:30

If by any chance you witnessed this, can you please contact me.

Thanks!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mr_Numbers

11-04-2016 02:38 PM

How awful! Must have been terrifying. I hope your dog has fully recovered from the ordeal.

No, sorry, didn't see anything - but does your dog's walker recall what kind of dog attacked? Or what colour it was? Or was it just too frightening a situation to even take in such details at the time?

There is a scary hound round about that area but I think it's usually on a lead and muzzled.

sneezing7

11-04-2016 03:07 PM

Hi

It was my wife that was attacked (she is fine - a couple of bite marks). Our dog on the other hand had to have 10 stitches. With all the commotion, she did not take notice of the breed but believes it was a pit bull cross or something along those lines. This dog was also muzzled, but managed to break it off in a fit of rage.

As already mentioned the attacking dog was not on a lead, although the owner was walking behind it. Whilst trying to restraint his dog with his bare hands my wife had to run home as quick as possible so we could get to a vet, which is why I am appealing to fellow Forest Hillers to see if anyone knows of this dog or has any info.

Thanks in advance

Mr_Numbers

11-04-2016 03:35 PM

My apologies for completely misreading your original post and not noticing that the person with the dog was also attacked. How very traumatic for your wife. I am sorry.

Um, small white dog? Happy looking thing?

sneezing7

11-04-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:
Um, small white dog? Happy looking thing?

Yep, that's the one

Again, both human & dog are now OK, but all of this could have been so easily avoided if the dog was on a lead!

This post was last modified: 11-04-2016 03:48 PM by sneezing7.

P1971

11-04-2016 04:03 PM

So sorry to hear this, glad to hear your wife and dog are okay.

Is there any CCTV that covers the spot, you've probably checked already but if not worth a try.

Mr_Numbers

11-04-2016 04:04 PM

Sent you a PM, sneezing7

sneezing7

11-04-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:
Is there any CCTV that covers the spot, you've probably checked already but if not worth a try.

This never crossed my mind! Thanks for the idea!

This post was last modified: 11-04-2016 04:35 PM by sneezing7.

Sherwood

11-04-2016 06:44 PM

Talk to the Police. They are often aware of such dogs.

Snazy

13-04-2016 10:23 AM

Sorry to hear this news, not nice at all.
I am always alert to off lead dogs, and plan my walks accordingly.

The only dogs that I can think of that frequent the area which I see are a white elderly staf walked off lead by an elderly gent.
And two staf type dogs usually exercised on the grass area between 24 Sunderland (the flats) and the flats / garages on the corner by the south circ.

All usually off lead, but the two latter dogs are far more active and interested in other dogs.

Hope the responsible persons are found.

PS I am not making allegations towards any of the above dogs, just pointing out they are local.

PPS, as an after thought, there is another dog which is muzzled but usually on a lead, which is walked by a guy in his 30s. Usually well controlled all the same.

Herbert

13-04-2016 10:39 AM

I think I may be the owner of one of the dogs Snazy refers to. My dog is half Bull Dog and couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.

I've seen the other guy with the muzzled dog on the lead a few times and I've got to be honest, that was the first person that came to mind.

Snazy

14-04-2016 10:13 AM

Hi Herbert, if you are one of those I have mentioned I hope no offence was taken. Just trying to work my way through people I have seen on my regular walks around the area. Thumbup

Pico
No longer registered

16-04-2016 05:22 PM

Sorry to hear about this.
There's a lad who walks a massive dog off lead Devonshire Road way. Needless to say I cross the road. I'm thinking of taking a picture and reporting him to l the Police the next time I see him and that massive dog.
Is it illegal to walk a dog without a lead?

sneezing7

28-04-2016 02:58 PM

Pico: The following person has been extremely helpful. Suggest you contact them

PC Michael Hill
Michael.r.Hill@met.pnn.police.uk

Shiro

04-05-2016 02:31 PM

Unless you have a "dangerous dog" as specified by the Dangerous Dogs Act then a dog does not have to be on a lead.

Mr_Numbers

04-05-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:
Unless you have a "dangerous dog" as specified by the Dangerous Dogs Act then a dog does not have to be on a lead.

That's not actually the full story.

Quote:
It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, such as:
* in a public place
* in a private place, eg a neighbour’s house or garden
* in the owner’s home
The law applies to all dogs.

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:
* injures someone
* makes someone worried that it might injure them

A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if either of the following apply:
* it attacks someone’s animal
* the owner of an animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 04:04 PM by Mr_Numbers.

rshdunlop

04-05-2016 04:15 PM

As a dog owner I, and others I know, now make sure that my dog is behind a closed door when I answer the front door or have anyone come into my home - tradesman, delivery, whatever. Because that law says your dog can be deemed to be dangerous if it is in your own home and someone entering your home doesn't like the way it's looking at them and feels therefore that the dog *might* injure them. Just the fear of injury, whether well-founded or not, means your dog is 'dangerously out of control'.

My dog is more likely to love a stranger to death than hurt them. Meanwhile, I'll bet the owners of dogs that actually ARE out of control are roaming free outside the home as well as in. That law is frightening the bejeezus out of responsible dog owners.

Shiro

06-05-2016 10:38 AM

rsh - I take the same approach with my donut of a dog. He couldn't fight his away out of a paper bag and would rather have his belly rubbed than take a chunk out of someone but unfortunately his "look" is enough for some people to have a perception of him.

Numbers - Those are all valid as well. I was trying to reassure Pico because reporting a dog simply because it's big and off the lead seems a bit OTT.

Mr_Numbers

07-05-2016 10:25 PM

Quote:
Numbers - Those are all valid as well. I was trying to reassure Pico because reporting a dog simply because it's big and off the lead seems a bit OTT.

Shiro, to clarify, especially as others might just skim this, the points I made aren't "valid" - they are from the Government website - http://www.gov.uk - it's the law.

You're quite right in that reporting a dog just for being big and off the lead is OTT. But any dog that is perceived to be a danger - "makes someone worried that it might injure them" - could be in trouble. Even a yappy little nyaff.

If the dog is on the lead and clearly under control then it would be difficult to argue it was dangerous. But even if it's on a lead, if the owner is clearly struggling then that's a problem.

Pico
No longer registered

09-05-2016 10:12 AM

Hi all
I had a look at the restricted list of dogs and I can confirm the guy was walking a massive Bull Mastiff dog. If the ones who think I am being OTT would be happy to approach a Bull Mastiff off a lead with a sketchy aggressive dude walking behind it... be my guest Smile lol

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields