SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
British Restaurant, London Road, c1946
brian stimson

01-11-2008 01:17 PM

It's fifty years since I was last in Forest Hill but on a light hearted note and talking about eating places I remember going several times with my Mother in about 1946ish when I was six to The British Restaurant, which was in London Road, just up from Dartmouth Road and opposite a Cinema, the name of which I have forgotten. These British Restaurants were nationwide and quite austere but for very little money you could get a "good wholesome" meal. I suppose in post war years they were gradually phased out but to a six year old it was quite an experience. With the benefit of hindsight and adulthood I suspect the food was pretty grotty but needs must I suppose.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
multisync

02-11-2008 03:52 PM

I used to work in there as a Saturday and school holiday job.Had a nice little tea and cake place at the front and a big restaurant at the back.As you say did good wholesome meals,also packed up meals in metal containers to deliver to housebound people and the elderly.But I can't remember what it was called.My mum hated me working there because the made me wear a long white overall which came down to my calves,she said it made me look like a little drudge

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields