SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Mr Dowd MP
Devonish Forester

01-03-2016 09:00 PM

Having sent an email (22nd Jan) and a letter (17 Feb) to Mr Dowd, I have had neither acknowledgement nor reply to either.

Perhaps he is exceptionally busy, but I am surprised not to have had at least an automated email acknowledgement. I would be interested in the experience of other constituents who have contacted him - the nature of his response.

Of course, if he had sent a letter, it is possible that Forest Hill Royal Mail may have done something other than deliver it to the address on the envelope.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Decker

02-03-2016 08:48 AM

Looking at my email history it took him 3 weeks to respond both times. However these were generic statement replies that would have taken his aid 2 seconds to respond to.

robin orton

02-03-2016 08:52 AM

I sent him an email in November (about bombing Syria) and a reminder email in December. I received neither reply nor acknowledgement to either.

Perryman

02-03-2016 10:14 AM

I don't think Jim needs any reminders about bombing Syria...

Red67

02-03-2016 10:24 AM

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10176/j..._and_penge

Below average.....

"Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents."

Mr_Numbers

02-03-2016 10:59 AM

Clearly, Devonish Forester, you have no idea just how busy Mr Dowd is, representing the interests of his constituents not just in answering emails about irrelevant, distracting topics such as bombing Syria but being right there at the heart of what really matters, putting written questions to the government about important issues such as the 600th anniversaries of the Battles of Harfleur and Agincourt as well as the even more important Honours and Decorations Committee's Medal Review.

As for his speeches in Parliament about the things that are really important to his constituents - whose undying gratitude for his devotion to their cause is such that they vote for him, no matter how useless he is - then I can only point you in the direction of his agenda-setting utterances on the crucial matters where he challenged the government's claim about the type of missile used in the shooting down of Malaysian Flight MH17.

So busy is Mr Dowd that, of the nine times he spoke in parliament over the course of the 2014-15 year, he had to squeeze in two speaking sessions in the same day - and doing that when he was busy preparing for the 2015 general election, then just weeks away.

We should all be terribly grateful for all he does - and if you think I'm making any of this up, look at these links.

Dowd's written questions: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa...17_ws.html

Dowd's spoken comments/questions: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa...17_os.html

Ligersaur

02-03-2016 01:11 PM

In view of The Right Honourable Mr Dowd's spoken comments/questions, it appears that his main concern is with the development work to London Bridge.

I would have like to have seen some comment about reducing or managing traffic volumes though the area, improving the road network for pedestrians or cyclists all with a view to increasing air quality for the local residents.

John Daker

02-03-2016 01:54 PM

Aside from all the above he always used to support events at the children's primary school in the late 90's including the quiz night.

Cllr Paul Upex

02-03-2016 05:49 PM

Hello Devonish Forester

Please email me at cllr_paul.upex@lewisham.gov.uk with your name and address and I will raise this with his office.

Best wishes

Cllr Paul Upex

Mr_Numbers

02-03-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:
Aside from all the above he always used to support events at the children's primary school in the late 90's including the quiz night.

Perhaps he's needed the last 16+ years to recover from that.

This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 06:00 PM by Mr_Numbers.

Sherwood

02-03-2016 07:22 PM

I have had a reply to every letter or email I have sent to Jim Dowd.

You need to give him your address so that he knows that you are one of his constituents.

No Longer Registered

03-03-2016 06:39 AM

Perhaps he has gone part-time. He has been in the job for a very long time and like many elderly workers perhaps he is winding down with a view to retirement.

The MP for Dulwich seems much more active. I have seen her twice on the local news in the last couple of weeks.

Erekose

03-03-2016 07:20 AM

When we lived next door to him in Colfe road I found him very personable although I can't say we troubled him with any deep political questions.

Devonish Forester

15-03-2016 10:10 AM

I believe MP's do receive an allowance to help them run an office, and deal with correspondence and enquiries from constituents, so I think there is no excuse for the non-response.

With Jim Dowd's huge majority vote, I suppose he can afford to be complacent.

Mr_Numbers

15-03-2016 01:15 PM

I think his office is in Sunderland Road, just off the South Circ. It always looks to be staffed.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields