SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Police Report Of Terror
ForestHillier

09-03-2016 09:45 AM

so what do we all think of the latest report that ISIS are planning a big one for UK ?

Scare mongering ?, project fear ?

Or is an attempt to get us to vote to stay in EU as they are saying we are saver being in

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
localbigwig

09-03-2016 10:38 AM

Staying in would mean we will continue with free movement of people.
within the EU for people with EU citizenship status.

The worry is that there could be a modern day Trojan Horse type plot
with large groups of ISIS fighters entering Europe amongst genuine asylum seekers.
This worry could be partly due to the number of men arriving (72% men, 13% women, 15% children).

The recent Attack on Paris was carried out by terrorists based in Belgium with free cross border movement with France, this coupled with the evidence that some of the terrorists
had been using the migrant routes to travel between the middle east and Europe
highlights this danger.

Mr_Numbers

09-03-2016 12:31 PM

I do not seriously believe that leaving the EU will make any difference as far as border security is concerned. We are not in the Schengen area so we have the right to check people's passports as they come into the country.

Are we seriously going to require EU passport holders to apply for visas before trying to come to the UK? No. Are we seriously going to ban EU nationals from coming to the UK? Nope. The worst that will happen is they will get their passport stamped 'Leave to enter the UK for 6 months' - or something like that. That will suit many EU nationals, though not the honest ones wanting to live in the UK.

Terrorists won't give a damn. Once they're in the country they want to be in they can pretty much make themselves invisible and not worry too much about overstaying their welcome.

Would passport checks have really prevented the Paris disaster? No. Either those terrorists would have had genuine 'clean' passports - with no warning signs that would flash up on the computer at border control - or they would have had faked 'clean' passports, which also would not have flagged up any warning signs.

And if by chance they were carrying passports which, unbeknownst to them, did flag up 'danger' at border crossing points, then they would have been stopped by UK immigration - then, now, and in future, whether or not we're in the EU.

localbigwig

09-03-2016 01:23 PM

You are probably right Mr Numbers, resistance is futile.
We should maintain a stiff upper lip and take whatever is coming to us on the chin.

OakR

09-03-2016 01:41 PM

You'd suspect the danger is real, and has been for quite a while. I guess at various times, the police and other agencies become aware of specific threats, and \ or remind s to be vigilant as much as is possible.

You can make arguments that we would be safer staying in the EU or safer being out, ultimately I expect the danger will be high either way for the foreseeable future.

ForestHillier

09-03-2016 02:02 PM

Yep we all know there is a possibility - however the stay in brigade are using this as a tool to maybe scare people into voting to stay in

http://news.sky.com/story/1656134/terror...r-10-years

Mr_Numbers

09-03-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:
You are probably right Mr Numbers, resistance is futile.
We should maintain a stiff upper lip and take whatever is coming to us on the chin.

Ho, ho! Very droll, localbigwig. But I didn't say 'Resistance is futile', did I. I said we already have the power to resist. We already have the power to check the passports of everyone who comes into the country. That is the issue as far as terrorism is concerned. And I don't see how our ability to control our borders will be any stronger or weaker whether we leave or remain (setting aside any possible behind-the-scenes matters about information sharing).

Whether people who come into the country are allowed to stay as long as they want is a different question about immigration - not border control and security. And if I may be so bold, ForestHillier, while I don't disagree with what you're saying about the scaremongering tactics of the 'stay in' brigade, the 'leavers' gang are pretty adept at using immigration and asylum seekers as a scare tactic. Which just goes to show that, so far, it's been a pretty shoddy, unenlightening debate all round. Both sides need to be setting out a more positive vision, in my opinion.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields