SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Story behind the mask
bigbadwolf

28-10-2008 01:09 PM

Hello Forest hill, having been a member of this forum for nearly a year now I'm often pleasantly surprised by some of the creative and mysterious usernames thought up. Could some of you fill us in i.e what's a Blushingsnail, does Nevermodern dislike althings 21st century and what exactly is that picture Ghis has on her profile. I'm sure your answers would be appreciated.

P.s has anyone found out who Baggydave is yet and what does it mean?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Perryman

28-10-2008 08:05 PM

Bag-gyd-ave is an extreme Muslim cleric.
He preaches hate outside the moor park tavern most Saturday afternoons.Thumbup

btrec

28-10-2008 08:56 PM

bigbadwolf is scary.

Ghis

28-10-2008 10:13 PM

It is a close up of the eye of one of my cats:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1416/7468...f58331.jpg

blushingsnail

30-10-2008 11:05 AM

Blushingsnail is a daft name that I wouldn't have chosen if I'd known how active I would be on this forum. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

A Blushing Snail is a snail endemic to the island of St Helena in the South Atlantic.

nevermodern

30-10-2008 12:12 PM

Think I was thinking of writing a blog at the time called "We are never modern". It was meant to be sort of ironic, as i love modernism.

Soon realised I couldn't be bothered with the blog. As Blushingsnail says, would've tried harder if I'd known... Smile

Cellar Door

31-10-2008 02:27 PM

For Cellar door, I first heard it in the 2001 movie Donnie Darko.

Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllenhaal) is speaking with his teacher Karen Pomeroy (Drew Barrymore). He sees the words ?Cellar Door? written on the chalkboard and asks her what it means and she says:

?This famous linguist once said that of all the phrases in the English language, of all the endless combinations of words in all of history, that Cellar Door is the most beautiful.?

The famous linguist she is referring to, I understand, is J. R. R. Tolkien from his 1955 essay "English and Welsh".

I like Cellar Door because the movie Donnie Darko resonates with me.

My avatar is from the Mark Ryden picture ?The Creatrix?. His muse is Christina Ricci.

ohyeahkitten

31-10-2008 03:56 PM

Good thread. My name is from lyrics to a Replacements song called 'Lovelines'.

billham

31-10-2008 04:58 PM

I new I should have come up with something better than parts of my name! How unimaginative am I!!

Interesting though to see what folk have come up with and I do use more 'cleverer' names in other forums!

I particularly like the explanation of the the cats eye icon. Would never have got that in 100 years though its obvious when you see the full picture (most things are, let's face it!). Reminded me of 'Ask the Family' which, to digress, would have had you believe that every family in the country was made up of two smug looking teachers (or better, lecturers) as parents and two really annoyingly bookish kids. Mind you those were in the pre Brand/Ross days at the BBC when we all dressed for family dinner and marvelled at the latest exploits of Muffin the Mule. Smile

Jon Lloyd

02-11-2008 09:13 AM

My real name is Byron Theophilus Quickshank Marmaduke. I'm using this site to give me the feeling of groundedness. Oh, and I live in Hampstead.

Applespider

02-11-2008 10:36 AM

Mine is my surname - well, it's the English translation of it.

bigjulie

03-11-2008 11:00 PM

Big Julie is a character in various Damon Runyon stories including Guys and Dolls. He is gambling mobster. Can't remember what it has got to do with me though...

baggydave

04-11-2008 10:29 PM

Back in the old days before the great purge, when Voldemort was last seen there was regualar posting from a small group with wonderful names. Was going to try and drag something out of the archives but can find it. Whatever did happen to Mrs Marcos (who was rather worried what Baggy Dave actually meant), Seeformiles (I think you are still around) and the less mysteriously named Pippa?

michael

04-11-2008 11:01 PM

Don't forget one of my favourites; Loneranger. I was never entirely sure if that should be read as Lone Ranger or Loner Anger. Whatever happened to LonerAnger?

Toffeejim

04-11-2008 11:08 PM

Ahhh, the old days. But surely it's inappropriate for us to be looking back to those times - not after all that trouble Snowball caused us?

PVP

06-11-2008 11:16 AM

I banish thee to Sydenham town forum, where the souls are not so quickly offended, and a joke, can indeed be taken as a joke.

On a related note, how many people complained about the Jonathan Ross / Russell Brand show?

baggydave

07-11-2008 10:46 PM

It was actually Mandy Play Box I was interested in - what has happened to you and what on earth does your name mean?

And Snowball - that is far too subtle

Baggpuss xx

mandy_playbox

08-11-2008 12:54 PM

Playbox not Play Box.
It's my real name.

I still lurk but I don't have a lot to say

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields