SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
How a toy shop closed to pay for pupils at Dulwich College (and Alleyn’s and JAGS)
Ligersaur

17-02-2016 02:31 PM

The Dulwich Estate is a registered charitable trust with defined beneficiaries, see: http://www.dulwichestate.co.uk/beneficiaries/

Someone is stating that a local private enterprise (the toy shop) that is not one of the beneficiaries of the charitable trust should have a below market rent.

From light reading, I believe that the charitable trust is mainly to provide bursaries to underprivileged children so that they can attend local private schools. I imagine that the toy shop is mostly frequented by well off families and the toys that it sells are actually more expensive than those from high street alternatives. Is it really better to decrease social mobility by removing one or more bursaries so that the a toy shop can remain where it is and continue to sell toys to the well off? I could imagine a similar article out-crying that situation.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: How a toy shop closed to pay for pupils at Dulwich College (and Alleyn’s and JAGS) - Ligersaur - 17-02-2016 02:31 PM