SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Council's Plans for Camberwell Cemetery Woodland
wynell

27-05-2017 10:51 AM

It is unbelievable that some people think that 75 years of occupation is acceptable the burial plots achieved by this destruction are only a short term fix. Where next will be have to site more burial plots.

In addition it is a shame the mediator has failed to remove or edit the comments made that clearly show malice and small minded sniping very sad!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
samuelsen

27-05-2017 01:35 PM

Wynell, happy to retract my last statement "in fact you remind me of an annoying wasp that needs to be swatted."

lacb

27-05-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:
The land in question was designated burial land long before you ever showed up here. The Council are using this land and reclaiming land that it allowed to become overgrown in the two cemeteries for new burials. They are also planning to re-use graves that are 75+ years old, now in my book that's not a bad thing.

samuelsen, even though I think original plans should not dictate future purpose, I think you are confusing different areas. Area B, the area in question, has never been burial space. It was ancient woodland, farmland, a fireworks factory, which then was repurposed to produce munitions in wartime I believe, then a plant nursery, now a meadow. So, of all the things it could be designated, a cemetery is not one of them based on prior usage.

The council are also being disingenuous re the 75 year reuse concept. They do not have legal recourse to use the legislation that allows for this elsewhere and their own documents acknowledge this. Am afraid that unless this is resolved soon, and that isn't likely given that no Lords time has been allocated for this, then any talk of a sustainable burial strategy is pure pretence.

This post was last modified: 27-05-2017 02:54 PM by lacb.

LewisSchaffer

28-05-2017 10:15 AM

What is the best use for the land right now? Burial on 'Area B' has a value but it comes at a high price - the loss of Honor Oak Nature Corridor land right next to the train station.

Lewis Schaffer
Friends of Camberwell Cemeteries / Save Southwark Woods campaign
07886504221 / savesouthwarkwoods@gmail.com / http://www.savesouthwarkwoods.org.uk

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

LewisSchaffer

31-05-2017 10:17 AM

Last call to object to Southwark using more land for burial. There are planning applications to turn the three acres of land behind the hoardings next to the Honor Oak Park station into 1000 plots with not one tree among them.

You have passed it area - at the entrance to the Rec and the Allotments. It would be a waste to use it as burial plots. And Lewisham people can object.

All you have to do is write "I obect to using this land for burial plots."

http://www.savesouthwarkwoods.org.uk/las...4593888168

Lewis Schaffer

LewisSchaffer

02-06-2017 11:30 AM

Planning application for the Old Nursery site will be debated (or reviewed or whatever they do) on June 15, Thursday. Southwark has given us less than two weeks' notice.

We are about to lose 3 acres of Honor Oak Nature Corridor land to rows of mown graves. Right next to HOP Station. This isn't about NIMBY, it is about NIMFY - not in my front yard.

They aren't going to stop. Here, on One Tree Hill, in the Old Cemetery... then they will start digging up the old graves and destroying the memorials.

Lewis Schaffer
savesouthwarkwoods.org.uk

LewisSchaffer

02-06-2017 05:58 PM

Here are some new photos. Very few people have actually seen Area B - It's hiddent by Southwark behind hoardings. See the link and photos attached from today. I was there today and it is very beautiful, even on a rainy day.

And there is still time to get in your objection:
http://www.savesouthwarkwoods.org.uk/las...4593888168

86% in Southwark’s own consultation said they don’t want burial on here. When it’s gone it’s gone.

Lewis
savesouthwarkwoods@gmail.com

LewisSchaffer

12-06-2017 12:51 PM

Hidden by Southwark behind hoardings is a beautiful place. 1000 graves will bury it for generations.

Meet 6.30pm Thursday 15th June
outside Southwark Council
160 Tooley Street London SE1 2QH
7.00pm Planning Committee

Tell Southwark Council that 1,000 burial plots on the Honor Oak Nature Corridor land is a destructive waste of inner London open green space.

You can speak at the planning meeting - get in touch:
savesouthwarkwoods@gmail.com

http://www.savesouthwarkwoods.org.uk/obj...4593742804

Or call me at 07886504221
Lewis

samuelsen

12-06-2017 02:41 PM

I believe you'll find that ONLY one representative can speak for 5-10 mins, multiple speakers are NOT allowed at a planning meeting.

Tell Southwark Council that 1,000 burial plots are essential to enable local burials to continue. Would you rather this rather than Honor Oak Rec being used for new burials. As they say, the CHOICE is yours.

LewisSchaffer

12-06-2017 03:24 PM

Admin: I am not familar with this forum, please tell me if I violate a rule with my posts or come close.

Samuelson - You want to play residents against each other - that is what the Council does.

"We take the Old Nursery Site or we take the Rec. Up to you."

That is how you got the phoney 'consultation' for the Rec through. That is what lead to the devastation we see now - rows of graves coming to scar One Tree Hill and acres of woods cut down in the Old Cemetery.

Just admit you want burial at all costs, even it means cutting down trees, digging up the dead, or putting graves where children play sport, orobliterating a lovely meadow - see photo.

Lewis

samuelsen

12-06-2017 05:30 PM

Firstly I did not say, We take the Old Nursery Site or we take the Rec. Up to you, DON't mis-quote ME.

Secondly I am offering residents a choice, an alternative, either 1,000 burial plots to enable local burials to continue or Would you rather Honor Oak Rec being used for new burials. It really is a simple choice, you do not speak for the community and neither do I. I am expressing an opposing opinion to yours. You want NO burials at any cost and the wilding of the cemeteries so they become overgrown wildernesses and eventually closed to everyone. I seek to have local burials continue, so people have a local place to grieve and remember.

wynell

12-06-2017 07:06 PM

Hello Samuelson

So the 1000 plots will cope with around 18 months of predicted deaths in the Lewisham area. Then what? I am sure some clever reader can work out the area needed in the next 75 years. How many acres of land do we convert to cemeteries.

So to be able to grieve locally how much are you prepared to pay and not jyst money?

samuelsen

12-06-2017 07:45 PM

Eventually, like it or not (and I'd much prefer not) the rec will become a burial ground, However the work being undertaken by Southwark, i.e clearing scrub land in both the cemeteries will delay this happening.

LewisSchaffer

13-06-2017 12:10 PM

so a burial ground is more imporant than a sports field.

This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 12:18 PM by LewisSchaffer.

Decker

13-06-2017 12:34 PM

Who actually owns the land? Southwark Council I'm assuming. So it's public land. What agreement if any does Camberwell Cemetery have with them? Do they have any legal entitlement to it? Or is it just the council giving it to them.

LewisSchaffer

13-06-2017 12:43 PM

Southwark owns Camberwell New (Honor Oak) and Camberwell Old (Forest Hill/Woodvale) Cemeteries.

They have not guaranteed that the Rec or the Allotments or any other green will not be used burial development.

Decker

13-06-2017 12:49 PM

So its pretty black and white then. This is purely public land.

samuelsen

13-06-2017 01:13 PM

If you check, I believe you'll find the land was originally purchased for burial, but has been used as a sports rec ground until such time its requirement comes to fruition.

Lewis - what you want, and lets be frank, is NO burials in either Camberwell Old or New cemeteries. So where are we supposed to bury locally family and friends who have died??????????????????????????????

LewisSchaffer

13-06-2017 01:38 PM

This is public land.

The Labour-controlled Southwark Council is willing to eliminate sports fields at the Rec, clear woods on One Tree Hill, build onto the Honor Oak Nature Corridor, and dig up the dead and destroy their memorials in both cemeteries to provide burial for a small group of people.

Decker

13-06-2017 01:39 PM

The real question is why do they need to be buried in Central London? Secondly, on public land?

Surely if the desire is so great to have them in Central London why don't people buy private land and designate it as burial sites? The church surely can raise the funds to purchase central London Real estate to accommodate this.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HOP Recreation Ground to Become a Cemetery? PaperBagBadger 196 174,488 22-05-2015 01:18 PM
Last Post: lacb