SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fairlawn nursery to close
roz

23-01-2016 07:35 AM

Fairlawn Nursery is to Close this year due to rising costs and budget cuts presenting pressure on primary provision.

Whilst its an understandable decision from a schools point of view its a dire state of affairs especially for young children and casualty of this wretched governments austerity policy and the publics gullibility in accepting their arguments that its necessary.

Ive asked local Councillors to explain the decision clearly made in conjunction with the local authority and to set this in context also why there was no formal public consultation prior to this decision being made.

There remains considerable pressure on primary school places locally and it would be unacceptable to lose educational premises to residential development whilst bulge classes continue to be imposed on schools to meet basic need.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

23-01-2016 07:58 AM

Can I ask the source for this info Roz?

roz

23-01-2016 08:09 AM

Yes, a letter went to Fairlawn parents yesterday.

No further intake in 2016.

Rayray

23-01-2016 10:30 AM

I've seen this letter and agree this is terrible news and the decision should have been taken following more extensive consultation. What I find most striking is how the nursery was finding it couldn't fill all of its places. This is at a time, remember, where birth rates are increasing and there are long waiting lists at other nurseries. All the feedback I have heard said the nursery was providing excellent services. The only explanation I have is that the restrictive hours (4 short "half" days and one short "full" day) was not compatible with most parents work lives. I am pretty sure that if they could get round this and allow parents to pay the necessary amount to "top up" the days then more people would be able to make it work. I am sure this could go a long way to make the finances work.

Whatever happens this site must be retained for a nursery to ensure there remains sufficient places. Whether it is run by the council or some other provider matters less to me.

Londondrz

23-01-2016 11:42 AM

We live opposite Fairlawn Nursery, would have loved our kids to go there but, as mentioned, they don't cater for people who work. I will be gobsmacked if it is not snapped up by another nursery.

Perryman

23-01-2016 05:10 PM

That is very sad.
But capital funding for repairs to schools generally has been cut by 80%, and a flat roofed building full of asbestos of a certain age will be expensive to maintain.
If the sale generates enough funds to keep 'their' hands off Fairlawn primary school for a few more years, then it is understandable.
The wolves are very much at the door now.

BillieJameson

23-01-2016 06:28 PM

Nurseries within schools are tricky to manage financially and it seems to be hard to make it stack up offering the wrap around care that private nurseries do. Earlier starts and later finishes and the need for quite a large staff to child ratio seem to mean that it can work in a purely private nursery but not if you try to add on a few places to the LA sector.

KateGould

25-01-2016 10:14 AM

Hi, I'm a reporter at South London Press - would like to do a story on this - do you know any parents who might be willing to go on record to say what a loss this will be to the local community? My number is 020 8835 9709 and my email is kate.gould@slp.co.uk

P1971

26-01-2016 05:40 PM

Anyone know the reasons behind the closure because apparently Lewisham Council don't know anything about Fairlawn Nursery closing!

roz

26-01-2016 08:42 PM

Closing as uneconomical to run given budget cuts and presented a threat to the primary school as draining resources.

I cant fault that its a necessary move but its a shame that education suffers in this way due this government.

But clearly there are some on the austerity thread who dont share those concerns as to why the young are bearing the brunt of the cuts and believe its the only way and a just action.

roz

26-01-2016 08:46 PM

Theres no way the Council wouldnt know- must be the wrong person?

PVP

27-01-2016 11:13 AM

There always seems to be a shortage of good nurseries in the area. Is this more due to the opening hours not being convenient for working parents?

Londondrz

27-01-2016 11:15 AM

Roz, please read their letter again. Falling number is one of the two reasons for closure. I am shocked that they quote falling numbers with local nurseries having 2 or 3 year waiting lists. Maybe people who work cant send their kids there due to the restrictive hours they operate. We certainly couldn't.

Rayray

27-01-2016 03:30 PM

Did anyone go to either of the Q&A sessions and if so, anything new to report?

P1971

28-01-2016 02:15 PM

I've now read the letter, is this definitely going ahead as the letter says "share with you their INTENT to close Fairlawn's nursery"

Someone on Facebook is planning on setting up a petition so when they do I'll post the link.

Dear Parents/Carers,

It is with great sadness that the Governing Body has to share with you their intent to close Fairlawn’s nursery at the end of this academic year (August 2016).
At Fairlawn we are absolutely committed to early education; the decision was made because it is no longer financially viable to keep the nursery open. We have made many changes over the last few years in order to try to keep costs down whilst ensuring the children still have access to the same exceptional learning experiences. However, due to falling numbers and the high running costs of the separate building and site, the nursery is currently being heavily subsidised from the main school budget. With a reducing school budget due to borough-wide cuts, the financial position is no longer sustainable.

We appreciate that the closure of the nursery will be particularly unsettling for those of you who still require nursery places next year (2016/17). As a result, we would like to explore offering those children affected a place at Haseltine’s nursery.

We will work with all our families who need nursery provision in September 2016 to help secure alternative places.

We appreciate that this may raise many questions and concerns, so we would like to invite parents/carers to a Question and Answer session at the nursery with governors and school leaders on either of the following dates:

Tuesday 26th January at 8.40am.
Wednesday 27th January at 12.25pm
We understand that this will upset and inconvenience families. We are so sorry to have had to make this decision as a result of a challenging financial context but we will work with you in an attempt to minimise the impact.

P1971

28-01-2016 02:31 PM

Sorry I was too late to edit my post but I meant to add to my first sentence

"I've now read the letter, is this definitely going ahead as the letter says "share with you their INTENT to close Fairlawn's nursery"

Or are they willing to look into other options such as extending the hours etc.

michael

29-01-2016 10:25 AM

It's a great shame that this nursery is closing. It was great for my daughter a couple of years ago, but the hours available was always a challenge.

Does anybody have an idea what will happen to the site? It would be a great location for a private nursery, and I'm sure it could offer longer hours and make a profit rather than a loss. The increase to 30 hours free child care should mean that such a private nursery would not be based on the ability to pay.

Alternatively it would be a great site for a GP surgery. Either way it would disappointing if the site become just another place to squeeze in some extra flats.

Perryman

29-01-2016 01:44 PM

Michael, if Lewisham need to raise as much money as possible to keep the primary/secondary schools solvent to some extent, then it probably means the site has to become residential.

P1971

01-02-2016 07:23 PM

Has anyone managed to find out anymore info on this.

The person I mentioned that wants to set up the petition has called Lewisham Council to try and find out more but hasn't had a reply back as of yet, this wasn't the same person that got told from Lewisham Council that they never knew about the closure of Fairlawn Nursey.

P1971

24-02-2016 02:31 PM

Someone's set up a petition now, here's the link.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/450/616/9...&cid=fb_na

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fairlawn Nursery - Proposed Change in Hours bkkmei 14 15,026 04-06-2014 03:19 PM
Last Post: michael