SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
johnny rotten racist attack
simonj

21-10-2008 06:35 PM

Dear all - see link,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/jul...st.assault

Am I the only one who thinks that its an outrage that Dairy Crest are using this man as the front for their advertising campaign?

Don't get me wrong I used to be a fan!!!

I have complained to Dairy Crest - so should you.

Write to: -

Rebecca ManningCountry Life Consumer Careline Advisor
dairycrest1@mailuk.custhelp.com

simonj

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
baggydave

21-10-2008 08:28 PM

When I was about 17 about 10,000 West Ham fans chanted such enlightened words as "negro negro lick my boots" (words changed slightly), and threw bananas on the pitch. Out of those ten thousand, no doubt a few of them have now become famous. Can you help me track them all down please and have them put away, the famous ones exposed and their assets frozen. And if you break the chain you will suffer bad luck.

Whilst a serious subject I am bemused why it is on a web site discussing Forest Hill matters.

But if you can't beat them then join them. Can my listeners also join in a campaigh against Richard Littlejohn, Bono, Melanie Phillips, Bono, the bigot I met at the weekend, Bono, and all the luvvies on the Jonathan Ross Shows.... ummhh sure there are lots more.

(the serious bit is memory to Laurie Cunningham)

PS did I mention Bono?

newarrival

21-10-2008 08:31 PM

note the ALLEGED...

simonj

22-10-2008 06:41 AM

because someone in forest hill thinks it's important perhaps! also a bit of a break from the usual dog mess on my street, price of coffee in local shop, parking problem triviality.

are the people of forest hill not interested?

Smiler

22-10-2008 04:05 PM

I can think of nothing more trivial than the (alleged) rantings of someone who has always had a higher opinion of themselves than anyone else has ever had of them.

thenutfield

22-10-2008 06:34 PM

racist or not, those adverts are just the worst! What is a dairy company thinking of, using John Lydon?? in my opinion, ad-men are up there with bankers for being over paid to****ers with no brains.

baggydave

22-10-2008 09:12 PM

The real crime of course is that the Sex Pistols reformed, not once but four times (despite what Mr Lydon said on numerous occasions) and yet people are daft enough to see them (including BD, albeit at under half price on e-bay).

They never had any scruples and their over-produced record was fine for a kick up the backside of dull late 70s rock and pop, but that was all. Contrast Lydon and his wonderful modulated voice, with the insistence of shouting when live. The Clash had talent and a political voice whilst if you wanted cartoon punk with more dimension (and also many more songs) you had (and still have in some form) the Damned. And perhaps the most influential on 20 or more years of pop music the fine Buzcocks. Well in Mr Lydon's defence at least he was having larf, unlike Bono.

Perryman

22-10-2008 11:13 PM

Bonio: "Every time I clap my hands, another child dies in Africa...clap....clap...clap"

Audience: "Stop clapping then!"

I seem to remember reading that for someone so public spirited, he is very keen to avoid any kind of taxation.

The Joshua tree is nonetheless a very special album.
(With a song about One tree Hill, if, probably, not our one tree hill)

roz

23-10-2008 08:19 AM

Lydon is an oik and now clearly a racist. This is not something which should be taken or treated lightly. Its unfortunate that the otherwise interesting indie music and punk scene of the late 70's should have him on the roll of honour. Tainted love indeed.

I have also objected for years about the presence of Jim Davidson on the BBC for the same reason. Racism and bigotry delivered on a plate to the masses at public expense.

Londondrz

23-10-2008 08:22 AM

Good Lord, I hope you dont like Chris Rock then.

michael

23-10-2008 08:57 AM

I'm having no success convincing my wife to stop supporting Tottenham after (no, not their pathetic performance this season) racist taunts being shouted by the fans. Apparently this is all part of the 'beautiful game'.

What I find more worrying is the racist and xenophobic language used on a regular basis by both Boris Johnson and Ken Livingstone at various points. They may not have got into any booze filled fights (well not recently anyway), but the negative effect of such comments on the ethnic minorities in London should not be under-estimated.

brian

23-10-2008 10:25 AM

I find J Rotten Esq obnoxious anyway.

Michael
Bit concerned re racists comments of our Mayor. Have you any examples.?
Sorry about Tottenham, suggest she supports Palace , (our local team )

michael

23-10-2008 11:57 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson
See items on Papua New Guinea, Allegations of racism, and flag-waving piccaninnies with watermelon smiles.

brian

23-10-2008 01:53 PM

Point taken Michael . I know Boris tends to say outlandish things but agree these remarks are uncalled for.

Toffeejim

23-10-2008 06:44 PM

simonj,

John Lydon has had a long-standing admiration of dub music, he made one of the first rap songs (with Afrika Bambaata, godfather of hip-hop) and had one of his biggest hits with an anti-apartheid song (Rise). He has strongly denied the allegation made against him, calling it "atrocious" and "hurtful" and, responding directly to the suggestion that he had behaved in a racist manner, said that he had spent his entire life seeking to prove the opposite.

Should you complain about him fronting a butter commercial? Yes, but only on the grounds that it is the most enormous sell-out. The article you quote doesn't even attribute an allegation of racist language against him, rather against his party.

Roz: "now clearly a racist": what a fantastically smug and lazy judgment to make - shame on you.

As for you baggydave I see that Lydon has been complaining that his recent gigs are being attended by "polite schoolteachers". Presumably Clash fans with nowhere else to go, the Clash being the single most overrated darlings of the middle-classes in popular music history. Just my opinion mind.

baggydave

23-10-2008 08:55 PM

As of course you well know TJ, everything decent that Lydon did was either because of Malcom McClaren or others such as the late great Johh McGeoch (sp?) and/or Jah Wobble at PIL.

I work with a chap who seems to have met everyone from the late 70s and early 80s. He used to hang around a certain shop on the Kings Road with the Pistols and the other hangers on (amusing comment on those 'provincials' the Bromley Contingent (see: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fkHPgeCdztA).

He was telling me about a great commotion one Saturday, even more racous than normal. "It's her again", "no she's gone", "she's back again". The excitement was because Val Singleton, then of course still in Blue Peter had passed by, thought about coming into Malc and Viv's shop, chickened out, and then repeated the action. The sign of a great story teller, not one that you try to compete with, but memorise it to share with others.

Perryman

23-10-2008 10:14 PM

Michael,
a journalist on the guardian is being quite mischievous in repeatedly accusing spurs fans of racist chanting.

It is a particularly dishonourable player's sexuality that is (wrongly) being targeted rather than his colour.

Just childish banter, but sure, the beautiful game can do without it.

Tottenham Hotspur is a big enough laughing stock without having to make stuff up.

simonj

26-10-2008 02:42 PM

Tofeejim,

Yeh yeh yeh, heard all this before yarn!! Why do you think he denies all this so strongly?!! Cash - that?s why, he's worried he will loose valuable deals such as Dairy Crest - and so he should.

I have friends who work in the music business who were at the festival in Spain who reported this incident back home before it hit the press. What they told me is the same story repeated by everyone apart from Lydon.

I too am gutted that a former hero of mine has turned out like this and admit that his past works seem to create a character who would not have been a part in this.

I feel however that on this occasion his all too big ego and self importance got the better of him and his just too up himself to admit it or apologise, even if it was on behalf of one of his halfwit racist mates.

baggydave

26-10-2008 07:01 PM

SimonJ

Not that I would ever normally leap to TJs defence but you give an incomplete picture and then come over all patronising when someone rightly questions you.

Sadly the world is full of racists - why don't you go beyond using this site as a soapbox and do something more about it. And if you are then I am sure we would all be interested in hearing more.

To others reading this thread I would again apologise for TJ's chip on his shoulder for living on the wrong side of the tracks.

The wider world is waiting for you:
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/sex-pistols/forum

Toffeejim

28-10-2008 02:13 PM

Thanks for the helpful link baggy. Do you subscribe to Smash Hits too?

Admin - you might want to consider changing the title of this thread as simonj hasn't produced a scrap of evidence to back up his claim that Lydon was responsible for a racist attack.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields