SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Gentrification
Red67

04-01-2016 05:22 PM

Wow. Thanks for the politics 101:2016 beginners guide.

(yawns....leans over, picks LP out of stack - vinyl, natch - takes it out of sleeve, pops it on stereo, cranks it up to 11, settles back in chair....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYMObdOqcRg

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robin orton

04-01-2016 05:48 PM

That's a bit rude, Red67. I think he sounds an admirable young man. I'm sure he'll make someone a wonderful son-in-law, if he isn't one already.

borderpaul

04-01-2016 08:06 PM

I don't think most people equate being a career politician with being part of the establishment.

I see the establishment as those coming from established wealth and the Conservative party embodies this with over 50% of MPs having attended fee paying schools with 20 of these having been to Eton.

Life in school for these kids was a level playing field on grass.

I don't think the left tell their kids they are limited by their background. Many have come from limiting backgrounds and have got through so they feel nothing but ambition for their kids.

P1971

04-01-2016 08:07 PM

Hi Robin

I agree the other person sounds like a nice chap to me.

I don't necessarily have any views on any particular party so don't think my comments are really valid on this thread.

My background job wise is in Musical Theatre which I studied as a student then Insurance Broker in the city, stay at home mum after that because my kids were of an age when I needed to be around, then local trader when the kids were older.

I found I got on well with most in all sectors with many different backgrounds.

I grew up in Glasgow and believe I was lucky to have a chance to be a student in London.

I'm a single working Mum now (didn't really want to share this personal info as a local trader but think it's important in this thread) and if I ever needed to ask the state for help as a working person I wouldn't hesitate if it benefited my kids.

Sealink

04-01-2016 09:35 PM

The original poster seems to have a chip on his or her shoulder, so if you'll permit me to reply with my chipshop:

There seems to be, in life, two types of people:

Those hard working savers who "worked hard" and "studied hard at Uni" (How much did that cost?) And then hooray! Buy a house.

And then you have the OTHERS. Who clearly didn't work hard and didn't study hard and didn't go to Uni because they're clearly lazy. If they weren't so damn lazy they'd be able to afford a house for goodness sake! It's logic.

Those who work hard, who can't buy a house: I know you think you're working hard, but you're not. You can't afford a house! It's logic! So sorry Sir, I'll shut up now and not say nothing and thank you Sir. Awful good of you to let me make my little point but I'll say no more and thank you for it.

Although, 'tis a shame to be sure that for so many, gentrification means Starbucks, COSTA and H&M: a word to the wise: homogenised high streets only with nicer signs and a Foxton's does not gentrification make.

Damn it. I've fed a troll.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

04-01-2016 09:50 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

Ligersaur

04-01-2016 10:54 PM

Maybe you should take a little time out to relax. Spend some time with more aspirational people.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

04-01-2016 11:00 PM

Londondrz

05-01-2016 01:19 PM

You made the mistake of mentioning you worked in a bank. No matter what socio economic background you come from, no matter how hard you have worked or how much you help others will excuse you from the fact that you work in banking. Red67 and the like have tunnel vision on this and nothing you, or anyone else, says will change that perspective. You may as give up now.

Sealink

05-01-2016 03:17 PM

I have many friends who work in the City.
In fact my favourite restaurant is Fera at Claridge's. Wonderful food and ambience.

Quote:
Where did that come from, Sealink?

Tory Party rhetoric, where every one is "hard working" unless your unemployed.

robin orton

05-01-2016 03:38 PM

What I'm never sure about is whether working for a bank (OK) is the same as being a banker (totally evil). My son-in-law works for a bank (in IT). Does that make him a banker? Hope not, because otherwise he's a really nice chap.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

05-01-2016 05:51 PM

crassbelch
Banned Troll

05-01-2016 05:53 PM

Sealink

05-01-2016 06:04 PM

It's hardly virtuous it's so overused.

But, believe it or not, I didn't join the forum to engage in political debate, but I think I pressed the political debate button by mistake.

Let's face it, people with opinions aren't going to have them changed, really.

equi

05-01-2016 11:07 PM

I have to say that I found comments on both sides of the argument to be fairly weak, bordering on insulting. Some truths: City workers can be nice people and get on with their neighbours and the council does not act solely for tenants and lefties. Shock horror, even bankers/traders can be wholesome people.

Surely, what we need is a council that raises standards for all? Whether they be immigrants or non doms... Perhaps not non doms, but a good council is one that works for the full strata of the community while recognising budget realities.

I work in one of the 'new' professions highlighted and I am not a labour supporter. However as pointed out already labour councils have done a world of good to apparently 'gentrified' communities such as Islington, so your case doesn't hold much water with me.

Having moved here four years ago from another London borough I think that our (labour) council does an excellent job. The streets are cleaned almost incessantly and My impression is that local council housing, even if over subscribed is mostly well maintained and serviced. Policing is present, active and engaging. Further, I faced a very small but important issue me to which I wrote to the mayor, steve bullock who offered me a meeting to discuss the issue which he then promptly resolved. Incomparable to other councils I have dealt with... So much so I would even be happy to pay more council tax, particularly if that went to maintain local services such as the library.

My point is, as a community we should take more balanced stance on what our priorities are and also recognise that in the round, certainly in my experience, is that we have it pretty good already.

sandy

12-01-2016 10:08 AM

There is an interesting article in the Guardian today on gentrification.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

12-01-2016 11:27 AM

This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 11:31 AM by crassbelch.

robin orton

12-01-2016 12:32 PM

Quote:
If you have not invested a penny of your own earnings in housing you have no right to demand to stay where you are

That's right. Turf them out, the feckless lot. They're going feel increasingly out of place in the new, aspiring, Forest Hill anyway. They'll be much happier somewhere a bit more downmarket, where they can mix with their own kind.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

12-01-2016 12:42 PM

This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 12:43 PM by crassbelch.

Londondrz

12-01-2016 02:46 PM

In the Guardian, anyone who owns a house is a banker. You are banging your head against a brick wall on that one.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields