SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
broke in
giuseooe

20-10-2008 10:31 AM

Hi,

i have been broken in and it was quite scary!....

it looks like that they have been quite active in the last couple of weeks and also has been reported that they go back where they have been after 2 or 3 weeks!

..also i have noticed that still drunkers are able to run from sainsbury's with bottle of alcools..........

what's going on in FOrest hill?????

Thanks
Giuseppe

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

20-10-2008 10:55 AM

Very concerned about your break in. Makes you think the Americans are not stupid owning guns.

Bit confused about your statement about alcohol. Please elaborate.

giuseooe

20-10-2008 11:05 AM

sorry I am still very shocked! I should have written in a better way what I meant to say

it just looks like that I do not have any chance to save my house to be visited again......if these people are able to come to my door.....see that none is in and smash the door without any worry to be caught!!! i have never seen the police on my road only tickets man!

as anyone got an idea what we can do to save our houses????...or shall we just pray ???

for the drinkers

i meant to say that facing th sainsbury's car park in forest hill......i see everyday the same ......a man running chased by the security gard............and never never never the security gard manage to get the DRUNKER!!!!

Sherwood

20-10-2008 11:53 AM

All you can do is increase security. (Or stay in all day.)

thenutfield

20-10-2008 10:02 PM

Giuseppe, I am sorry to hear that you have been burgled, but dont blame the police - they are not security guards and they are not here to protect your home - that is your responsibility. There is plenty that you can do to make your home more secure. Door locks, window locks, a better door frame etc. Speak to your insurance company or the crime prevention officer (Lewisham = 020 8284 5005).
Most burglars are opportunists and if you make it difficult for them to break in, they wont bother- they will go and find somewhere easier.

thenutfield

20-10-2008 10:08 PM

Brian wrote:
Very concerned about your break in. Makes you think the Americans are not stupid owning guns

Brian, are you seriously suggesting that the appropriate response to a burglar is to kill them? That is a bit extreme, even by your standards!

baggydave

20-10-2008 10:41 PM

Thank you Brian, that was precious. Killers in America work seven days a week, poor things.

Maybe we should all move to Ivydale road wherever that is, where we can get armed protection.

Or alternatively a gated community in the London Borough of Bromley (I can hear those duelling banjo's already).

(with apologies to Guiseppe)

wayfarer

21-10-2008 06:50 AM

We were broken into twice a few years ago, (we were the first floor in a victorian conversion) and were offered a security assessment though can't remember if it was offered by the police or the council.

Either way, they recommended two locks on our flat door, including a 5 lever mortice lock, a London bar behind the door to prevent it being forced open and window locks.

Hope this helps, because this is a horrible thing to have to go through.

brian

21-10-2008 10:58 AM

Oh dear , seem to have caused upset yet again . My comments were to say the least not meant to be taken seriously , although I do accept I should have been more serious as not a joking matter.
I do believe the punishments for the criminal classes when caught should be a lot more severe but would not support shooting then carte blanche.
I agree you can do a lot to make your home less easy to break into , however no home can be totally secure. We are not sure what security our unfortunate friend had in his property. ???

Forest Hill SNT

21-10-2008 12:38 PM

Forest Hill SNT offer a free security survey to point out any possible weaknesses in your properties security.

It only takes 15 minutes to complete and we will try to arrange it at a time to suit you.

This time of year is known for an increase in burglaries, due to the evenings getting dark earlier.

Please look out for and report anyone who you believe is acting suspiciously.

e-mail us ForestHill.SNT@met.police.uk
ring on 02087212723
emergencies 999

Forest Hill Safer Neighbourhood Team
content.met.police.uk/Team/Lewisham/Foresthill
Applespider

21-10-2008 04:02 PM

In any building with flats (conversion or otherwise), the weakest point is the communal entrance since it's often 'protected' with a single lock which oftentimes, is as basic as a Yale that people can get through with a piece of plastic.

Once someone is in the 'block', they aren't suspicious from the street any longer and can take their time to break into other doors. Particularly if they're smart enough to ring all the bells and see if the residents of other flats are out.

That's how they got into my place when I was burgled earlier this year. I had the 5-level mortice, the Yale and a London bar but they still managed to kick through the door since they knew no-one was in the block to hear any noise.

Other advice I got from various locksmiths and Southwark police was as far as mortice locks go, make sure that the metal 'bolt hole' is sunk into the doorframe rather it just being a faceplate. Mine wasn't.

Also it's a good time to check that any outdoor lights are working or if you don't have any to get ones that activate on approach.

newarrival

21-10-2008 08:36 PM

Get Banham locks and safety glass in the door panels and visible window locks. Gravel and low plants in your front garden also helps.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields