SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Used to live there
margaret evans

20-10-2008 12:18 AM

Hello, my name is Margaret Evans, used to be Margaret (Sally) Leach.
We moved to the police flats at the top of Honor Oak Rd., when they were first built. I was I believe 4 yrs old at the time, I am now 61 and living in the USA. I originally went to Kelvin Grove School (can't remember where that was, only know if was awful).
I remember a stand of enormous copper beech tress on the property. The original manor house was converted to house officers, etc. Us grunts lived in the concrete flats either side. Transferred from Kelvin Grove school to Christchurch. The headmaster was a Mr. Brough, a thoroughly evil man.
We moved from the police flats to Cranston Rd. My brother, John, and I revisited Forest Hill about 10 years ago. The flat we used to live in vacant at the time and we peeked through the letterbox. It was just the same as I remembered it. I remember going to Horniman's park and museum, also going to the Saturday morning pictures. Went on to the Sydenham secondary school for girls, used to be Shakleton College I believe
It would be so interesting to find out if there is anyone still living there who remembers.
Thanks.Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

20-10-2008 09:49 AM

Hello Margaret.
Good to hear from you.
I am 1 year younger than you. Too be honest the Police flats you refer to I am sure I know but did not know they were connected to The Police.
My sister went to Kelvin Grove up to 1960 , it is in Kirkdale Sydenham and still there.
You mention Christchurch School also , that is in Perry Vale behind Forest Hill Station.
I went to St Bartholmews School which was then also in Kirkdale a bit further down the hill.

brian stimson

20-10-2008 11:23 AM

I went to St. Bartholomews School until I was eleven in 1951, we had battles with the kids from Kelvin Grove School in the bombed out ruins of St. Barts vicarage. By the way Brian, what about Mr. Williams, scary eh! especially when he would tell us all the pink on the map of the world was ours!

billham

20-10-2008 11:43 AM

Hi Margaret

Interesting to hear your memories. Interesting you should mention police flats. I live in Sydmons Court of Netherby Road which was built in the 1950s and I was told that these were originally police flats. Do you know if that is the case? We must have had a lot more police then!!

brian

20-10-2008 11:59 AM

Yes Brian I knew Mr Williams well. I believe he had served time with The Black and Tans , certainly shell shocked. Was there from 56 to 60 , I attended St Phillip's Infants.
Other teachers come to mind are Miss Coggin , Miss Partridge and Mr Timms. Head being Mr Bleasedale, he used to read us a story about hero's or heroin's every day in assembly. Seem to have heard about Grace Darling 4 to 5 times.

Dylan

20-10-2008 12:29 PM

used to live opposite the flats as a child, remember having a school friend whose parents lived in the posh flats i think they werre all
inspectors or CID the best flat went to a Superintendent i think
its a lovely building inside don't know its history or how old it is??
the concrete flats were down market by comparison but the layout of the grounds was very leafy and pleasant - a Housing Associstion
has the flats now - don't know who owns the posh block

Jane

20-10-2008 12:55 PM

Dear Margaret
If you have not already done so I suggest you log on to Friends Reunited (http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk). There are quite a lot of people who left Kelvin Grove in 1958, which must be your year, so you may well find some old schoolfriends there.
Good luck.

Triangle

21-10-2008 10:44 AM

Hello Margaret,

Don't know when you moved to Cranston Road but as a boy I helped deliver milk along Honor Oak Road in the 1960's, including the police flats. Yes, Centre block was lovely inside and the stairs and landing were kept immaculate. The trees bordering Honor Oak Road were wonderful and the cul de sac and houses at the rear of the flats were pretty tidy too.

I went to Fairlawn Primary school from around 1959 to 1965 and I recall that some of the other children that attended lived in the police flats.

Interestingly, I also recall delivering the milk to a certain Mr Brough who lived on another part of the round at the top of Forest Hill. I never knew him personally but I understand that he was (or had been) a headmaster. My friends and I used to ride our bicycles near his house and on more than one occasion he told us to clear off!

I also remember Saturday morning pictures and of course the park and museum are still going strong.

GrahamMatthews

30-03-2009 04:59 PM

Hi billham,

I am in the process of hopefully buying one of the flats in Sydmons Court. It would be really useful to chat/message someone who is a current resident. Please get in touch if you are still active on the message board.

Best wishes

Graham

billham

30-03-2009 05:06 PM

Hi Graham

I do still live in Sydmons Court and more than happy to chat. However, I don't really want to post my email address here and I seem unable to leave a private message. Can you see if you are able to leave private messages?

Bill

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields