SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next > Last »
Sainsburys Forest Hill School Children Ban
sharon

12-12-2015 10:54 AM

Well done to the manager in sainsburys for putting his staff and customers first ,it's not the first time this ban was in place ,my daughter went yo school in Wimbledon and was banned from sainsburys ,like all children in school uniform ,my son goes to school in streatham and no pupil is allowed in any of the shops in the area ,this is enforced by teachers driving around after the school day checking ,never any trouble ! Forest hill boys needs to do more to make sure their pupils behave in the local area ,it works with many other schools .

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

12-12-2015 01:25 PM

Sharon - sounds like your kids go to the same school in Streathsm as mine. Absolutely agree that schools have a responsibility to their local community and should make sure their kids behave while in uniform.

Perryman

12-12-2015 03:44 PM

Andy Long needs review his decision quickly as this looks bad for Sainsbury's, bad for FHS and bad for SE23.

Unfortunately legally he is within his right to discriminate against under 18s, just as legally older relatives of those children unfairly caught up in all this can show some solidarity with the younger generation, and stop shopping in this branch.

Londondrz

12-12-2015 05:03 PM

In your eyes Perryman, in your eyes. Please dont include me in with your "group" as you are now discriminating against me as I am quite happy with Sainsburys stance.

Perryman

12-12-2015 08:10 PM

Sorry that you thought I was including you and your 'group' in trying to help resolve this, Londondrz.

rshdunlop

12-12-2015 10:07 PM

Secondary schools don't always operate their admissions policy on catchment areas. Sometimes, but not always. The school my children attend doesn't, for example.

borderpaul

13-12-2015 12:35 AM

I don't think this reflects badly on Sainsburys or SE23.

I would expect the manager of Sainsburys to protect his staff and customers from abuse and bad behaviour rather than just tell them to put up with it.

Most parents want boundaries to be set to bad behaviour and kids often want it more than them.

Perryman

13-12-2015 01:46 PM

borderpaul, no-one is suggesting that theft or abuse of staff is acceptable.

And I can't remember having any bad experience with our branch of Sainsburys over a very long period - the staff are excellent and we are lucky to have them.

But Michael's post sums up my feelings about this.
I'd expect the school to help identify pupils if asked, but I don't think their responsibility goes much further. It is a job for the police/store security.

It is not clear what exactly the manager wants and I hope in the school holiday he has time to reflect that banning the 99% of children who are ordinary customers, some running important errands, is a pretty blunt tool to solve this problem.

Sherwood

13-12-2015 02:39 PM

I was told that Woolworth's at Catford closed when the shoplifting losses got too high. I suspect that many people are banned from various supermarkets. Supermarkets exist to make money. I doubt that they will exclude potential customers unless they have no alternative.

P1971

13-12-2015 07:46 PM

I've followed this thread on and off since the first post.

I strongly feel that no kid should be punished in anyway by Sainsbury's just because they wear a certain school uniform.

I also will take the time to go and have a chat to Sainsbury's tomorrow about this.

I will add my son is year 8 at FH Boys and if I thought for one moment he caused any kind of trouble he would be grounded for a long time.

Londondrz

14-12-2015 10:44 AM

P1971, I admire your stance on theings FH and wish that this had not happened but it has. What I want to ask, and I have asked before on this thread, for those who dont like the stand Sainsburys has taken. What would you suggest they do?????

To date no one has told me. All are against Sainsburys actions but are at a loss to give good examples of what other course of action should be taken.

P1971

14-12-2015 11:36 AM

Londondrz, that's why I'm popping in later today to ask exactly what has happened and how often.

By the way I'm not against Sainsbury's I just want to find out the whole story and ask them if there is another way they can deal with this so that the good kids are not being punished because of a few bad kids.

P1971

14-12-2015 01:00 PM

Just to balance this thread out a bit I'd just like to add that for 2 years on the trot Sainsbury's donated around £200 worth of gifts for a free Santa's grotto I ran for the kids, so they are definitely not against kids. They also donated pumpkins for the kids to carve at the library this Halloween just gone.

But also on the other hand I put a cheque for over £650 in the post to The Evelina Children's Hospital a couple of weeks ago which was money that kids from FH Boys had fundraised for them.

So this is why I don't think it's fair that the good kids are being punished because of the actions of the minority of the bad kids.

P1971

14-12-2015 02:57 PM

It now makes perfect sense to me why Sainsbury's have had to do this and they are willing to remove the ban if the appropriate steps are put in to place which seems pretty fair to me.

I'll apologise for the essay now but thought others might want to know the full story.

The reason why the ban came about was because a large group of FH boys were fighting, swearing, shouting and stealing one morning and elderly customers were frightened. Although this is a small minority of the kids at FH boys it was still a group big enough to make this impact. This is very unfair on all the other kids and Sainsbury's agree with me on this but at the same time because they are kids the staff are not able to restrain them until the police arrive they can only really ask them to leave the store.

So I completely understand why Sainsbury's have had to put the ban in place but they are more than willing to work with the School to remove it.

If a teacher is able to be present in the store before and after School Sainsbury's will remove the ban - reasons for this is that a teacher would probably be able to recognise any kids that are behaving badly and only the trouble makers would then be banned.

After speaking to Sainsbury's today they are also willing to do this if a parent from the PTA can be present before and after School if the teachers are not able to.

Is anyone that has been posting on this thread a member of FH School PTA?

If not I'm more than happy to email the PTA group to make them aware of this to see if it's something they would be willing to do. I do receive the emails so that I can help with anything that may involve input from the local traders but I'm not an active member.

Hopefully this can be resolved sooner rather than later!

Decker

15-12-2015 08:04 AM

Can we all just leave this? It's clear school uniform bans are common place in London and they are there for a reason. Resources are scarce enough, why would a school put a teacher in the store? Your children can go home get changed and go to Sainsburys if they really want to.

Perryman

15-12-2015 01:01 PM

It is unreasonable to ask a teacher to act as additional unpaid security for Sainsbury's. They have little authority outside of school.
Criminal behaviour is for the police to deal with - it seems pretty simple to me.

As for IDing the children, Sainsbury's will have tapes of the incidents and FHS have a duty to cooperate in putting names to the faces as part of any investigation, but for me their responsibility goes no further.

But what do I know - the Safer Schools’ Officer hopefully comes up with some new ideas that are acceptable to the manager.

Londondrz

15-12-2015 04:57 PM

Perryman, police very rarely attend low level crime these days. Shop lifting and situations such as Sainsbury are low level.

I would he very happy to be corrected by the local SNT on this one.

P1971

15-12-2015 09:13 PM

Guys, my update on this was just a way to try and find a solution so that good kids are not punished because of the minority of bad kids as I do feel this is very unfair to the good kids.

I will add my own son doesn't go to Sainsbury's before or after School as he doesn't pass on his way to School. I will also say he is no angel (because I think no kids are because they are just that, kids) but he would never do anything of this proportion.

Well I sure hope not anyway!

But if I ever found out he did then he would be grounded for a long time and favourite things would be confiscated for a long time too.

I think this is a tricky situation but one that should be able to be resolved easily with a little bit of work from all.

Anotherjohn

16-12-2015 08:34 AM

In my own experience Sainsburys have taken the right and appropriate action.

I was at a very good school and I was brought-up to be under no illusions as to what was right and wrong, however, like many teenagers, I did rebel a little bit or I may have been a little naughtier when I was away from the authority of my mother or my teachers.

I know that not all kids are the same but so what if they can't go into Sainsburys. What do they need from there that they can't buy from somewhere else that isn't as far away from their schools? Maybe their parents could even save themselves a few quid by knocking-up a little lunch box. The world has gone poxywell mad!

Deano

16-12-2015 07:30 PM

I'm no advocate of political correctness but on what grounds are you able to discriminate against an entire class of people? You couldn't do this against the elderly, ethnic minorities or homosexuals so why with young people? I would be more interested in banning people who get to the till, pack their shopping, and then look surprised when asked to pay then faff about looking for their money for the next 5 minutes. Ban them. And people who.pull along those lethal trolleys behind them. And anyone taking more than 2 minutes at the self check out. Ban them for life.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  St. Francesca Cabrini primary school may close permanently (Forest Hill Road) samuelsen 0 2,899 21-05-2022 07:12 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Forest Hill School Horniman 54 87,235 20-03-2022 10:13 PM
Last Post: Zandonai
  Did anyone here go to school in Forest Hill or HOP bigbadwolf 63 93,469 01-01-2021 12:22 PM
Last Post: graham Orr
  Forest Hill Comprehensive School 1960 - 1965 taxi1950 2 7,077 10-01-2020 06:29 PM
Last Post: Perry Streer
  Forest Hill School 1974 richierich 1 6,606 28-06-2018 04:40 PM
Last Post: ShaulRichard
  Boy asking for sponsorship from Forest Hill Boys School FHParent 5 7,267 03-05-2018 09:04 AM
Last Post: Pico
  Roof fire at Sainsburys Forest Hill hillview 4 5,929 21-01-2018 09:47 PM
Last Post: annsquire66
  Forest Hill School Ex-Pupils Dithers88 1 6,022 31-10-2017 09:18 PM
Last Post: Mr Robin Banks
  Forest Hill School in Trouble hillview 0 4,578 19-07-2017 10:39 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest hill boys secondary school assaults Iheartsydenham 20 22,745 01-06-2016 02:48 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Forest Hill School: petition to stop it being forced to become an academy blushingsnail 3 6,408 12-05-2016 12:35 PM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Water leak outside Sainsburys, Forest Hill, London Road SE23 3HF Cllr Paul Upex 0 4,871 27-01-2016 05:37 PM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Boys School Fundraising for Evelina Childrens Hospital P1971 0 3,707 08-07-2015 07:49 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Child care for primary school children moschops_ 7 10,659 12-09-2014 07:36 AM
Last Post: CrustyRack
  Teachers Strike at Forest Hill Primary School Deano 6 10,066 13-10-2013 12:09 PM
Last Post: lacb
  Forest Hill School 'Connected' Family Learning Event Call Out cpa 0 4,429 21-05-2013 01:12 PM
Last Post: cpa
  Fairlawn School takes part in Healthy Eating Week with Sainsbury’s Forest Hill hrmforesthill 6 10,304 05-07-2012 10:12 PM
Last Post: Deano
  Forest Hill School's Outdoor Centre (Aber) GrahamAgnew 0 7,790 22-12-2011 10:57 AM
Last Post: GrahamAgnew
  Fashion Design & Make Taster Workshop for Children and Young Adults @ Forest Hill Lib foresthilllibrary 0 3,444 22-01-2011 01:38 PM
Last Post: foresthilllibrary
  Nearly New Sale - Horniman Primary School, Forest Hill BakingMummy 5 9,155 16-10-2010 09:39 AM
Last Post: BakingMummy