SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
New Non-Emergency Police Number
Forest Hill SNT

15-10-2008 10:46 AM

MPS launches the new Met Contact Number - 0300 123 1212
The Metropolitan Police Service today, 14 October, launched a new telephone number for use in all non-emergency situations. The new number - 0300 123 1212 - should be used when people in London need to contact the MPS and it is not an emergency.

The MPS has introduced this number to make it easier for people to contact us which will give greater access to our services. By providing people with one memorable number it is expected that the amount of inappropriate 999 calls to the MPS will reduce. This will further enable us to respond quickly and safely to emergency calls and best identify how to respond to other calls.

In an emergency people should always dial 999. An emergency is when a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is known to be nearby, or someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

For all other calls to the MPS people should dial 0300 123 1212, such as when reporting a crime or an incident that does not meet the above criteria, to speak to local police or when seeking advice on police matters.

It is still possible to contact local police stations with pre-existing numbers and in particular Safer Neighbourhood Teams should still be contacted using their direct telephone numbers. However people can use 0300 123 1212 to speak to local police, including Safer Neighbourhood Teams, as well as other MPS teams.

The MPS is using a 0300 number in accordance with Ofcom?s recommendation for public sector bodies. When calling 0300 123 1212 local rates apply from BT landlines. Other networks and calls from mobiles may vary.
http://cms.met.police.uk/news/major_oper...0_123_1212

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

15-10-2008 12:28 PM

Since the SNT are reading this site, might I ask if they could comment on other threads - I'd refer them to catchy titles like "Broken Window", "Burglaries on Dartmouth Road" and "Doorstep Scam or Fraud".

Do love the avatar though!!Thumbup

admin
Administrator

15-10-2008 12:41 PM

I've been trying to figure out who is in the avatar ... Messrs Starsky & Hutch?

Forest Hill SNT

15-10-2008 01:32 PM

No. Hunt and Tyler.

We always keep an eye on the forum to find out what is happening but we will only reply to threads if it is appropriate as there are three SNTs that operate in Forest Hill (Forest Hill, Perry Vale and Crofton Park.)

If you have any direct concerns you wish to discuss please contact us at ForestHill.SNT@Met.Police.UK or 0208 721 2723.

We are not a 24hr resource but if you leave a message we will respond.

regards

Forest Hill SNT

Forest Hill Safer Neighbourhood Team
content.met.police.uk/Team/Lewisham/Foresthill
Applespider

15-10-2008 04:18 PM

That's a memorable number Confused

I think a shorter one would be more helpful in terms of discouraging people dialling 999 which is so recognisable unless the Met plan on bombarding us all with post-its to keep by the phone.

I can remember it at the mo but I'm not entirely sure it'll still be in my head in a few days time whereas something like 949 probably would have.

roz

03-03-2009 12:25 PM

This really inspires me with confidence!

I dialled the FH SNT number 0208 721 2723 but the number cuts out before answering.

I then called the Met main no. They gave me a mobile number, 07768 178 308, which says its switched off.

So how exactly are we meant to contact the Forest Hill SNT these days? And what is the excuse for being so unavailable to the public all of a sudden......

Snazy

03-03-2009 12:38 PM

http://www.met.police.uk/saferneighbourh...ryvale.pdf

Phone number totally different to whats on the news letter.

Snazy

03-03-2009 12:40 PM

http://www.met.police.uk/teams/lewisham/perryvale/

Or enter your postcode for the appropriate team.

Perry Vale SNT

03-03-2009 07:55 PM

Peeps,

Not just Forest Hill ward looking at this forum, there is us as well (although without the funky picture!).

Roz.. in answer to your statement i'm afraid i have no answer. The Forest Hill team are not working today, and we are covering for them. The landline is set up to divert to a mobile in case we are out of the office. It should have come through to us and we'd have dealt with what you needed. The mobile is switched on and the number is correct, so maybe its a signal problem our end.
Snazy.. Glad to see our newsletter is popular and usefull, although we are only 1 of 3 teams based here, so that would be why the number is different.

Thanks,

PC Nick Brown
Perry Vale SNT

Elizabeth25

06-03-2009 03:54 PM

Two nights ago and little girl, who was a bit grubby, knocked on my door and shouted "do ya have any water?".

It seemed a bit wierd and I was home alone with my young son. I had visions of turning my back for the water while larger people used the opportunity to burst into my house. (I know a bit paranoid, but 20 years of living in NYC and London will do that to you).

Anyway, the point is, I called the Perry Vale community Police number, located on one (of the two) magnets provided to my household.

The number rang and rang and rang. I called again, same thing then it hung up. At the very least this was a lost little girl who might have benefited from being picked up and brought home by a community police officer. Does the Perry Vale office number have hours? I called around 6:00 pm.

Ciej

09-03-2009 11:47 AM

I have had the same experience with this number. It isn't answered and there is no opportunity to leave a message.

brian

09-03-2009 12:00 PM

What is the good of a number that is not answered. Suggest we go back to 999.

Perry Vale SNT

11-03-2009 09:29 AM

Elizabeth, Brian and Ciej,

We've had a problem with our phone over the last week where the divert does not work from our office to our mobile.
This has hopefully been rectified and we'll be able to take calls whilst on patrol again.

I would also point out the role of this thread is highlighting a new number to call police in the event we are off duty or unable to help out. 999 is a great service but only for emergencies.

Regards

PC Brown, Perry Vale Team.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields