SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next > Last »
Life in SE23 - Eateries
lacb

10-05-2016 06:28 AM

I wonder how many of the other good local restaurants would get a good review on opening night? You can post your experiences by all means but am just saying that this is not a fair comparison.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
crassbelch
Banned Troll

10-05-2016 07:24 AM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

Growlybear

10-05-2016 09:23 AM

I've read many good reviews for restaurants on their opening night, and I think most people would make allowances for first night teething problems. Indeed, I've been to other restaurants on opening night, but have never experienced anything this bad. Had the service at Hattush just been a bit erratic, or if the food had taken a while to arrive, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid, but our experience, and clearly that of many other diners, could not be put down to first night problems. It certainly couldn't account for the food we were served, most of which was revolting. If a restaurant decides to open before they have recruited competent staff and, more importantly, a competent chef who serves up normal sized portions, they must expect to receive criticism from diners who have had their evening ruined. I would criticise any restaurant under any circumstances where I had experienced such an dreadful meal. As I said in my first post, I did feel sorry for the manageress as she clearly knew what a disaster the opening night had been. I hope for her sake that things improve, but don't see how they can without a complete change of staff.

Pippi

10-05-2016 09:43 AM

I'm saddened to hear about Growly's experience. On the one hand it didn't surprise me too much - we went early evening, and could easily perceive that things might spiral a bit out of control as the night wore on and numbers increased - the staff seemed quite inexperienced and *were* very bumbly.
However, I got the impression that this is probably a friends-and- family-run enterprise, and therefore not necessarily primed to be all slick and flawless straight off the bat.
But then think how great it is when genuine, independent, 'neighbourhood' restaurants do eventually get it right and thrive. (I'm thinking of the ever-popular Le Querce - which I personally can't stand, despite several tries over a number of years, but I seem to be in the minority there and so be it!) That's what I hope for Hattush; it's certainly not perfect yet, but let's give them time, and 'constructive encouragement' Smile along the way.
(I didn't much like Sodo at first but now I really like MammaDough, and while I recognise that Donde's no Barrafina, I still enjoy the good value and many pleasant times I've spent there.)
Growly should maybe definitely give it a wide berth for a bit, but do try again at some point when things have settled down?

Mr_Numbers

11-05-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:
My stew was lukewarm, and the portion size was insultingly small. It tasted overwhelmingly of salt and pepper, with no other flavours at all.

Growlybear, you've remind me of the Woody Allen joke at the beginning of Annie Hall:

Quote:
"Two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly." - imdb.com

Rofl
Not having a pop at you, Growly - just remembering a great joke!

ringingcod

11-05-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:
I haven't tried Hattush yet. I will do.

So these immigrants are ok? Make your mind up.

Londondrz

11-05-2016 06:43 PM

And many complain the other person trolls!

bigmacca1

24-05-2016 05:46 PM

Hello, Can anyone recommend a good old fashioned Indian restaurant?

Since the Dewanian on Stanstead Rd has closed have had to use

takeaways and not found any to compare? Found Babur very overrated?

Any recommendations for a sit in in SE23 or nearby??

Thanks. bigmacca.

Londondrz

24-05-2016 06:09 PM

Been eating at and from Elachi since June 2001, almost once a week. Love the place.

Pippi

25-05-2016 08:19 AM

I second Elachi, their mixed grill is scrumptious Smile
Went to Hattush again last night, was even better than our first go, and the service is much improved. They are such lovely people and I wish them all the best!
I do think their mains prices are a bit crazy tho'! If I could change anything I would tell them to bring the mains prices down into the £10/11/12 range, as I believe £14/15/16 for simple Turkish food is a little steep.

Dartmouth Road

28-05-2016 06:06 PM

India Gate, opposite Sainsbury's, is the only Indian we frequent in Forest Hill (take-out and dining in). The owner is incredibly friendly, the food is delicious and there's always a good atmosphere, with most tables occupied. Much improved from the previous owner.

skyepark

31-05-2016 04:10 PM

second India Gate, food is fresh and tasty.

nottinghillbilly

31-05-2016 09:38 PM

Ditto India Gate.
Only Indian we go to in the area.
Consistantly good food, fairly priced.
And very friendly owner and staff.

Loncdl

01-06-2016 07:26 AM

Stunned there are any negative comments on here re Hattush. Went last night for the first time, place was heaving on a Tuesday night and food and service were wonderful. Real local asset. Maybe they just had a bad moment on their opening night.

ThorNogson

01-06-2016 11:40 AM

agree India Gate is good, though The Lemon Tree near the Dolphin in Sydenham has become our firm favourite - well worth the excursion into SE26.

Shiro

01-06-2016 09:39 PM

Found Hattush incredibly overpriced and underwhelming considering Meze Mangal is less than 10 mins down the road. Big shame. Hope they can turn it around and hopefully knock the prices down a bit.

Pippi

02-06-2016 08:34 AM

It is a wee bit over-priced I agree - not that that seems to be deterring anyone from going! Meze Mangal is also overpriced in my view, and both times I've been there I've been totally underwhelmed. I also hate that sort of faux 'vibey', 'matey', 'wa-hey' atmosphere that some places put on once they realise they've achieved a level of local cult-dom, as Meze Mangal seems to have done. But as people continue to go there from miles around, what do I know? Laugh

Anotherjohn

02-06-2016 02:17 PM

I also preferred Meze Mangal when it was real.

Pippi

02-06-2016 02:36 PM

While we're on the subject of Mangals, FM Mangal in Camberwell deserves a shout-out, if only for the complimentary round of delicious grilled flatbreads (best ever, for my money) and chargrilled onion in an amazing red-winey, garlicky, beetrooty liquor which they serve at the start of every meal.....one of the greatest culinary pleasures around; so simple, so mouth-wateringly delicious, and so ABSOLUTELY FREE! Thumbsup

This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 02:36 PM by Pippi.

BamptonRoad

02-06-2016 04:27 PM

It aint free. You can't just walk in have your flatbreads and walk out. It just doesn't appear on the bill.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields