SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Life in SE23 - Eateries

27-10-2015 04:08 PM

Have to agree that the takeaways in the forest hill area that we've tried are mediocre at best. The India Gateway used to be good but cant say I've had it since they changed management. The menu is a lot smaller than it used to be.

Thai Orchard - worst Thai food ive ever tasted. Not sure how its possible to make currys taste like cardboard. Prawn crackers left on a shelf overnight to go stale - lovely. Lots of Chinese restaurant on london/dartmouth rd - none particualy good.

It tends to be the ones that have been here the longest that are the worst. Could definitely do with some improvement in the takeaway options in Forest Hill.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Red67

28-10-2015 12:51 PM

Spot on, Newbie...glad it's not just me that thinks that! How do these places keep going?! Must be a lot of people who think their food is great...

lacb

28-10-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:
Babur the takeaway in Crofton Park doesn't seem to me to be in the same ballpark as Babur the restaurant on Brockley Rise at all, the quality is miles apart.

There was certainly a period when this was the case but I believe that this has been resolved for a good while now. If you order online you can even order from the restaurant a la carte menu if you wish (to push the boat out).

Quote:
Mamma Dough on Honor Oak Park is [...] an improvement on the previous Sodo, but not outstanding.

Sorry, this is inaccurate and am also incredibly fussy about pizza - each to their own. The Mamma Dough pizza is both excellent and exactly the same as Sodo (same manager, Italian chefs & menu). You can also get great Italian pizza from Le Querce (except on Fri and Sat) but not takeaway.

Agreed re comments on Thai. The best that we have found that delivers is the Thai Corner Cafe in East Dulwich. Would not class it as great though.

For Chinese, agree that Spice Road in Camberwell is amazing but sadly they don't deliver.

Pippi

28-10-2015 05:41 PM

'Sorry this is inaccurate' or 'each to their own' - well, which is it to be? Mellow

I've found Mamma Dough to be an improvement on Sodo. If it's all exactly the same then I can't think why the change of name, but in my humble perception, it has been a different experience since then. Eg; thinner, less doughy bases, and less spartan toppings, and cheaper.

lacb

28-10-2015 06:07 PM

'Sorry this is inaccurate' as there are factual inaccuracies (see below). 'Each to their own' as you clearly disagree re quality of the pizza, which is fine. Just unusual!

The name changed because there were 3 owners of Sodo and one of them has made a split from the group so the branding had to change, hence Mamma (since expanded to Brixton and probably to Peckham too). Nothing else changed - I have been watching the pizzas being made before and since, by the same people, and the bases are the same as are the toppings and the prices! Smile

Deano

28-10-2015 09:11 PM

Well. Bamboo House was a great Chinese but since it shut we have been bereft of a decent one. It looks like it's threatening to re-open but never seems to. The only one that gets anywhere near in my opinion is Golden Kitchen on Lordship lane near the old harvester. It's got 5/5 scores on doors, delivers to Forest Hill and food is really nice. Delivery is usually quick too.

We've tried pretty much all the Indians and to be honest none really stand out for me. Having lived in Leicester and Bradford I think I've been spoilt. Most mentioned here are fine. Babur is good but delivery takes so long that I've usually gnawed most of my arms off waiting for it to arrive. My current favourite by a country mile (and it's a little pricier) is Yak and Yeti in Crystal Palace. They deliver to FH and food is way better than the more local places. Well worth a try.

SEN

01-11-2015 11:18 AM

Missed the query from Red67 about Barakah...which was my recommendation in post #2...http://barakahtakeaway.com/...

nottinghillbilly

01-11-2015 09:07 PM

Eaten at India Gate many times, found it really superb.
Its not your typical curry house.
Found food always tastes fresh with very little grease.
Also I understand a really good Sushi place has opened on Kirkdale.
Where an Italian place was.
I looked at the menu and it looked very authentic-not your usual dull options.

Pico
No longer registered

03-11-2015 10:46 AM

Babur restaurant is off the chart amazing. My partner and I regularly get food from there to eat at home. A veggy thali is £12 and there is more than enough for two. It's the best Indian in London.

Mama Dough is awesome. Great tasting pizza at reasonable prices. The only downside is that it's so popular with families that sitting in to eat will likely be a squeaky experience with lots of children about. The staff are so nice and friendly and I love the dining space Smile

Donde has been improving recently. Last time I went the service was good and the menu much improved.

I love Hopscotch for a good value brekkie and super friendly service. It's a great spot for catch up and coffee too.

Canvas a Cream was a bit of a rip off the last time I went. £2 additional charge for two slices of toast. I paid £12 for half an avocado, two eggs and some sparse veggy bits and pieces. The food was alright. I came away feeling a bit ripped off which is a shame because I really want to like the place.

nottinghillbilly

03-11-2015 09:49 PM

Agree Canvas and Cream is too expensive for mediocre food.
I wanted brunch the other week on my day off and looked at their menu the prices were way higher than other places in SE22 and SE23

Londondrz

04-11-2015 09:16 AM

I have tried C and C for lunch twice and they seem unable to produce a drink and food in 45 minutes. If it was busy I could understand but there have been around eight people in there. Mrsldrz's gets an hour for lunch and with travel time it gives her fourty five minutes. A coffee and toasted sandwich should not take thirty minutes (plus reminders) to turn up.

There are now a few venues in FH who are trying to charge Dulwich prices. It won't work.

Pico
No longer registered

05-11-2015 10:39 AM

I'm all for an improvement on chicken fast food shops and run down booze shops. C&C is certainly that. It's a shame they have not quite found a sensible balance between the what they offer and the price that is charged for it.

CharlieBlythe

09-11-2015 11:37 AM

It's not a takeaway (although it does do takeaway) but Norris and Knight on forest hill road deserves a mention when it comes to brunch/lunch. The full English is sensational

oryx

10-11-2015 01:05 AM

We used Spice Guru in Wastdale Road tonight after seeing it recommended on this thread and it was great! They use olive oil so the food tastes lighter and healthier (but just as good).

lacb

10-11-2015 10:44 AM

Just want to throw this out there as this is not always the case. Be aware that if olive oil is used at a high temperature, for instance in a wok, then it oxidises and turns into alhehydes. Not so healthy - a nut oil would be better for this. However, the dishes you order might not be affected by this.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33675975

rshdunlop

10-11-2015 10:59 AM

That report says exactly the opposite and recommends olive oil over vegetable oils for frying as a good 'compromise' oil for frying.

lacb

10-11-2015 11:34 AM

Yes, as a compromise. Most people do not cook at high temperatures but wok users do. Some nut oils have a higher smoke point than olive oil for instance and are just as healthy.

rshdunlop

10-11-2015 11:44 AM

At home I use a nut oil in my wok. But if we're talking about takeaway, my guess would be they wouldn't bear that expense, so it's either veg or olive. In that scenario, olive is better.

lacb

10-11-2015 12:05 PM

I do the same at home but I think that peanut oil is pretty standard in Asian cooking and is not expensive from an Asian grocery in my experience. My point is that Olive oil, especially virgin, has a much lower smoke point so would be a bad choice in a wok.

Londondrz

10-11-2015 12:55 PM

Most use rape seed oil, cheaper, higher cooking temp and pretty good for you.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields